Why I’m a Classical Liberal and not a Libertarian

Something to think about…

Why I’m a Classical Liberal and not a Libertarian
By
Craig Cantoni<https://www.libertarianinstitute.org/author/ccantoni/>

Ha! I loved this article! Yep, typical libertarian response to someone being late picking up their kid from school because of traffic jam: "roads should be privatized!" One can imagine what would go through the mind of that parent upon hearing such "solution."

Marcy

There's a time and place for everything. If someone seems likely to be unreceptive to hearing about philosophy, focus on practical solutions. Or vice-versa – some people would rather hear something with a clear moral foundation than just another technocratic policy proposal.

However, I don't think "hiding" what we stand for is a good idea. The more visible libertarians are, the stronger we become. There is no Classical Liberal political party in the U.S., and I never hear anyone talking about the "classical liberal movement". When a good chunk of people in this country, not to mention the world, still haven't heard of our party and movement, it's good to get the word out.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Mike,

I agree with Starchild.

If an individual you speak with retains nothing else, recognizing he spoke with a “libertarian” who seemed like a nice guy (which you do!) is the first step.

In the advertising world it’s called name recognition. In part, this is how coca-cola made it big.

Warm regards, Michael

Michael R. Edelstein, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
415-673-2848 (24/7)
htttp://ThreeMinuteTherapy.com <http://www.threeminutetherapy.com/>

Author of Three Minute Therapy <http://www.threeminutetherapy.com/>
Features help for anxiety, depression,
relationships, panic attacks and addiction

There's a time and place for everything. If someone seems likely to be unreceptive to hearing about philosophy, focus on practical solutions. Or vice-versa – some people would rather hear something with a clear moral foundation than just another technocratic policy proposal.

However, I don't think "hiding" what we stand for is a good idea. The more visible libertarians are, the stronger we become. There is no Classical Liberal political party in the U.S., and I never hear anyone talking about the "classical liberal movement". When a good chunk of people in this country, not to mention the world, still haven't heard of our party and movement, it's good to get the word out.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

I believe the point of the article was that when libertarians/Libertarians speak there seems to be no other subject but "philosophy," which leaves the majority of non-libertarians at a loss or with a strong desire to run away. The article gave the example of the person stuck in traffic hearing about privatizing roads -- an uncertain very long-term solution. But, yes, if we can articulate real solutions to people looking for them, then there would be no need for anyone to hide what they are. Or if we feel the person wants to discuss philosophy, great, likewise.

Marcy

I understand both sides of the discussion. Thanks for the input.

Maybe the best way to deal with it is to answer "Libertarian" but when they ask what that means, simply reply with a simple "Classical Liberal". That gives it some weight without getting into too many details. If they want to know more, they can ask.

Mike