Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this is an open letter to the LPC]

Hey!

In case anyone's interested, here's my 2c on the topic of vitriol and "offensive" language:

I'm not categorically against vitriol in our discussions. In fact, passionately hating the state, Woodrow Wilson, Abe Lincoln, etc. is fine with me. However, I am (vitriolicly?) against vitriolic attacks on our fellow LPSFers, which can rapidly lead to the destruction of our unusually cohesive group of liberty activists.

Similarly, I'm not categorically against using words like "fuck," "shit," etc., when not used as part of a vitriolic attack on LPSFers. These words have their place in expressing passion, humor, etc. I assume one offended by such language is precluded from enjoyably reading Chaucer, Shakespeare, or even going to the movies.

Best, Michael

Dear Dr. Mike;

Au Contraire

As a highly skilled expert experienced psychologist I'm certain you can appreciate the fact that while the no-no words used publicly or in e-mails to the groups reflects on the sender and indirectly effects the group. While it is gol' dang certain we are all exposed to those words from time time I believe that it takes a special someone with the necessary adult conversational skills to avoid using profanity in general discussion or in group discussions.

I do not believe the use of profanity in our discussion group has a place as we are fairly quite educated individuals with a wealth of personal life's experiences which we can bring to the group - but without getting profane or using profanity.

I personally do not advocate censorship in any format no matter how innocuous it may appear. However as a group I believe the individuals who make us what we are and what do and what we can achieve can do so without resorting to profanity as a general part of our discussion.

Yes there are great works of literature which are very profane and well worth reading and there are great movies which also have profanity - HOWEVER - those are read by choice or watched by choice - I do not believe the members of this group or LPSF are members so they can hear or read profanity and not have a choice because some member chooses to impose their lack of erudition and crassness on the group.

Jimminy Cricket why can't we all just get along with each other. Great Jumpin Jehosaphat let's show our educational skills not a dumpster diving.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

[ Attachment content not displayed ]

Yes there are great works of literature which are very profane and well worth reading and there are great movies which also have profanity - HOWEVER - those are read by choice or watched by choice - I do not believe the members of this group or LPSF are members so they can hear or read profanity and not have a choice because some member chooses to impose their lack of erudition and crassness on the group.

Ron-

That’s illogical. By that logic someone who chooses to mention the Christian God or the Bible on the LPSF list is ‘imposing’ their views on the rest of us. You can’t have a doublt standard for profane and non-profane language. Either anytime anyone mentions anything not strictly about LPSF business they are equally imposing on others, or no one is imposing on others by doing so. The view that profane language is unique in this respect is based on a moral intuition that certain words are innately harmful. That is an intuition I don’t freakin’ share.

I don’t think you have any idea how culturally partisan this looks from my side of the table. Dude. Seriously. I get messages with colourful language every day of the way and somehow survive. I suspect Angela just also lives with a set of cultural expectations (she’s young, lives in West Hollywood) that are different from yours. It seems blatantly obvious to me that you are taking your cultural expectations for granted and censuring another party member for violating them. This is exactly the kind of reason why I think lifestyle issues are important in this party. Manners and decorum are class and cultural markers and an easy means to shut out people of different social groups.

And its ridiculous to equate use of vulgar language with a lack of erudition. Angela is clearly an intelligent and educated person even if she doesn’t talk like you. You seem to presume that anyone with education will choose to use their learning to take on ‘better’ social affectations. Well, I think the confusion of erudition with class is utterly destructive to an authentic love of knowledge. And refinement of speech in the service of eloquence and beauty is a different matter entirely from the refinement of speech to spare a delicate ear.

I note you’ve all successfully used your dislike of Angela’s style to utterly ignore her substance. You are nicely proving her point. It’s precisely like the habit of certain Robert Rules of Order black belts to use the technicalities of formal debate to squelch the ideas of those who don’t think by Roberts Rules of Order. I notice that the Sex Workers’ Outreach Project, the San Francisco Peoples’ Organisation, the Harvey Milk Democratic Club manage to function wuthout this fetishised heirarchy. I’ve recently been attending lots of hearings at City Hall and they were less stuffy than this.

That’s all. I’ve vented and said what I think, and now I’m shutting up because it’s pointless. Please go back to your by-the-book meetings and polite language. Thank you.

love and strife,

Lady Aster

{)(*)(}

*Freude, sch�ner G�tterfunken*
*Tochter aus Elysium,*
*Wir betreten feuertrunken,*
*Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!*
*Deine Zauber binden wieder*
*Was die Mode streng geteilt.*
*Alle Menschen werden Br�der*
*Wo dein sanfter Fl�gel weilt.*

email ms_shiris@…

Dear Lady Aster;

First of all on Angela's points she was making there are those of us who are not with the Ex Comm or have been to Ex Comm meetings or State or National party conventions or LP business meetings and really don't have a clue or care about as to what she is talking about.

Please be advised - It is difficult to commentez vous about her screed unless you have some idea of what it is all about. You presumed the members here would all know what she meant and comment of course on what she had to say about the LP organization or lack thereof.

I will not comment on her points because I do not have sufficient enough knowledge about what she is referring to - ergo my silence - as for everyone else - they can comment whenever they so choose - but it would be nice if they could provide some perspective as to what the heck it is all about.

When I made my comments about the use of profanity it did not say to stop anyone from discussing anything on any topic - it was a request to maintain some level of propriety. Nothing was ever said about anything of what was discussed by whom or when and censoring their comments - where the heck you got that from I'll never know.

Don't put words in where there were no such words as I said I do not believe in censorship - say what you want anytime you want to about whatever you want - however - profanity it is not needed to have discussions whether making it more colorful or not.

Also our meetings are not very by the book they do follwo an agenda - and sometimes - gosh and golly - the language is not very politic.

Why not come to this Saturdays LPSF meeting at Cybelle's Pizza @ 9th and Irving at 3:00 pm and see for yourself - okay? Then during the 5:00 - 6:00 pizza hour you can spellbind us with your colorful language skills - okay?

BTW: I spent 4 years in the Navy and I can guarantee I have forgot more colorful language then you will ever know - we can always trade verbiage - and leave everyone else with mouths gaping open like little fishies out of the water as they learn new words of vitriol - are you up to the challenge? Yeah Sure - Unh Hunh!

Now get out there and do some random acts of kindness.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

I agree with Ron and Morey.

As a highly-skilled, expert, experienced psychologist I will never use the no-no words.

But as a high school dropout, Morey will use the no-no words.

Further, since I failed Economics in college, when I'm discussing economics, I will use the no-no words.

Chacun à son goût. (A few French no-no words, there.)

Best, Michael

Dear Dr. Mike;

Merde!

And as for you Morey - words fail me!

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

P.S. How could I resist the temptation???

Ron-

I don’t really want to go on about this, but fair’s fair:

1. You’re right, I made stupid assumptions about your background. mea culpa

2. I didnt say you were ‘censoring’ but ‘censuring’- altho’ as you know I believe there are non-state form of oppression, do the difference isn’t quite as huge to me as with most ibertarians- there are ways to push people around that don’t involve force. Still, if I carelessly implied you wanted to censor Angela I do apologise…

3. I do not apologise for a similar claim that Marcy was making veiled threats to Angela. That’s simply true. I do apologise for having any issues I have with her bleed off onto you.

4. On LPSF meetings… well, I came back from Portland all fired to make a difference in the Party, but I’m rather having second thoughts. The immense good will I got from most libertarians there convinced me that the problems with the libertarian movement isn’t libertarianism or libertarians but the kind of creatures we get running the show. I wanted to get involved to change that. However, I’m starting to wonder if the whole heirarchical structure of the party necessarily invites the worst to get on top and deters the best from exercising influence. If this is true, the Party as we know it is a lost cause- it’s heirarchical and conformist for the same reason all big organisations are heirarchical cand onformist, and the only answer would be to abandon political parties as a means entirely or at least look for totally different kinds of organisations.

I’m not convinced of this idea, but until I think it over I’m staying away from Party business. As such, I’ll be staying away from this list for awhile. I’m making no one happy hanging around.

love and strife,

Lady Aster

{)(*)(}

*Tochter aus Elysium,*

email ms_shiris@…

Dear Lady Aster;

Why do you presume another presumption that " I'm making no one happy hanging around.". Afterall, this is a (heh heh heh) BIG TENT PARTY!!! and is open to all comers and all thoughts and persuasions. Change come from the inside!!!

At least with yourself we get some erudite concerned points about erudite concerned matters which beats the heck reading about Starchild's constant whining and kvetching about why aren't we holding LP conventions at nudist centers where the overhead is low and there's no covering things up and it all hangs out so to speak.(heh heh heh)

Why not try the LPSF meeting this Saturday - THEN - if you don't like what you see or hear - then bail out - throw in the towel - call it quits - pack your baga up and so on.

THEN remember way back in Colonial times how if the Founding Fathers had done the same thing you are proposing to do and did not fight back and try to change things and literally put their lives on the line and their necks in the hangman's noose why today we'd have to be kissing Tony Blair's butt and curtseying to Prince Charles and Duchess Camel. Yucky!!

Give it a shot okay???

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Ron,

No thank you, at least at the moment. Please understand that my health isn’t the best and going out to Sunset for a meeting isn’t the easiest thing for me- plus I need to stay at home so I don’t miss business. As for Starchild… look, I’m not feeling so hot towards him right now either, but please don’t try to divide and conquer*. After talking to Angela I think he and I were both wrong on the specifics of the $99 thing but I still share his basic sentiments on the principles involved.

But I just need to figure out if I think that the problem with the Libertarian Party, since I don’t think it’s the ‘libertarian’, is the ‘Party’. I need time to think alone.

love and strife,

Lady Aster {)(*)(}

*to Starchild (and no on else): that’s ahem, a classic tactic that the PRIVILEGED use to derail the protests of the MARGINALISED and/or OPPRESSED.

*Tochter aus Elysium,*

email ms_shiris@…

Dear Lady Aster;

The commentez vous regarding Starchild and his always asking about why we don't go to cheaper venues for LP conventions WAS NOT a divide and conquer - I can do better than that at any time - it was meant for some levity as we have read such comments by the dozens as against your more enlightened commentez vous.

Usually Starchild keeps mentioning college campuses or retreat centers instead of Downtown luxury highrise hotels. I understand the backwoods in Yosemite are available really cheap in the off-season. Throw up a couple tents cook hot dogs and marshmallows over open fires talk Libertarian with grizzly bears and wolf packs talk about cheap venue with lots of free entertainment - like nature hikes - watching sunrises and sunsets watching meteors at night whooo hooo a chance to get back to our caveman roots or cavewoman roots - nature and mankind and survival of the fittest.

Hope you gets yourself better from whatever is ailing and you get the Party thang figured out versus libertarian thang. Have you tried Vitamin C?

Right now you seem to be like the late great Talulah Bankhead - I vant to think alone - Dah? or Nyet?

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

I spoke with Angela also, and she expressed the opinion that when she voted that she was getting the best deal she could, and that a $99 registration fee was better than a $150 registration fee. While I question the wisdom of that approach, I do not question her good intentions. I think she is under a lot of stress right now, and might not have said the things she said at another time, so I hope folks will pardon her. Speaking of forgiveness, mistress Aster, please pardon me if I have been getting too uppity.

Love & liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

Ron,

No thank you, at least at the moment. Please understand that my health isn't the best and going out to Sunset for a meeting isn't the easiest thing for me- plus I need to stay at home so I don't miss business. As for Starchild... look, I'm not feeling so hot towards him right now either, but please don't try to divide and conquer*. After talking to Angela I think he and I were both wrong on the specifics of the $99 thing but I still share his basic sentiments on the principles involved.

But I just need to figure out if I think that the problem with the Libertarian Party, since I don't think it's the 'libertarian', is the 'Party'. I need time to think alone.

love and strife,

Lady Aster <image.tiff>{)(*)(}

*to Starchild (and no on else): that's *ahem*, a classic tactic that the PRIVILEGED use to derail the protests of the MARGINALISED and/or OPPRESSED.

Freude, schˆner Gˆtterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder
Was die Mode streng geteilt.
Alle Menschen werden Br¸der
Wo dein sanfter Fl¸gel weilt.

<image.tiff> email ms_shiris@hotmail.com <image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this is an open letter to the LPC]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:13:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Lady Aster;

Why do you presume another presumption that " I'm making no one happy hanging around.". Afterall, this is a (heh heh heh) BIG TENT PARTY!!! and is open to all comers and all thoughts and persuasions. Change come from the inside!!!

At least with yourself we get some erudite concerned points about erudite concerned matters which beats the heck reading about Starchild's constant whining and kvetching about why aren't we holding LP conventions at nudist centers where the overhead is low and there's no covering things up and it all hangs out so to speak.(heh heh heh)

Why not try the LPSF meeting this Saturday - THEN - if you don't like what you see or hear - then bail out - throw in the towel - call it quits - pack your baga up and so on.

THEN remember way back in Colonial times how if the Founding Fathers had done the same thing you are proposing to do and did not fight back and try to change things and literally put their lives on the line and their necks in the hangman's noose why today we'd have to be kissing Tony Blair's butt and curtseying to Prince Charles and Duchess Camel. Yucky!!

Give it a shot okay???

Ron Getty

SF Libertarian

Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:30:12 PM
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this is an open letter to the LPC]

Ron-

I don't really want to go on about this, but fair's fair:

1) You're right, I made stupid assumptions about your background. mea culpa

2) I didnt say you were 'censoring' but 'censuring'- altho' as you know I believe there are non-state form of oppression, do the difference isn't quite as huge to me as with most ibertarians- there are ways to push people around that don't involve force. Still, if I carelessly implied you wanted to censor Angela I do apologise..

3) I do *not* apologise for a similar claim that Marcy was making veiled threats to Angela. That's simply true. I do apologise for having any issues I have with her bleed off onto you.

4) On LPSF meetings... well, I came back from Portland all fired to make a difference in the Party, but I'm rather having second thoughts. The immense good will I got from most libertarians there convinced me that the problems with the libertarian movement isn't libertarianism or libertarians but the kind of creatures we get running the show. I wanted to get involved to change that. However, I'm starting to wonder if the whole heirarchical structure of the party necessarily invites the worst to get on top and deters the best from exercising influence. If this is true, the Party as we know it is a lost cause- it's heirarchical and conformist for the same reason all big organisations are heirarchical cand onformist, and the only answer would be to abandon political parties as a means entirely or at least look for totally different kinds of organisations.

I'm not convinced of this idea, but until I think it over I'm staying away from Party business. As such, I'll be staying away from this list for awhile. I'm making no one happy hanging around.

love and strife,

Lady Aster <image.tiff>

{)(*)(}

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

<image.tiff> email ms_shiris@... <image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:53:22 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Lady Aster;

First of all on Angela's points she was making there are those of us who are not with the Ex Comm or have been to Ex Comm meetings or State or National party conventions or LP business meetings and really don't have a clue or care about as to what she is talking about.

Please be advised - It is difficult to commentez vous about her screed unless you have some idea of what it is all about. You presumed the members here would all know what she meant and comment of course on what she had to say about the LP organization or lack thereof.

I will not comment on her points because I do not have sufficient enough knowledge about what she is referring to - ergo my silence - as for everyone else - they can comment whenever they so choose - but it would be nice if they could provide some perspective as to what the heck it is all about.

When I made my comments about the use of profanity it did not say to stop anyone from discussing anything on any topic - it was a request to maintain some level of propriety. Nothing was ever said about anything of what was discussed by whom or when and censoring their comments - where the heck you got that from I'll never know.

Don't put words in where there were no such words as I said I do not believe in censorship - say what you want anytime you want to about whatever you want - however - profanity it is not needed to have discussions whether making it more colorful or not.

Also our meetings are not very by the book they do follwo an agenda - and sometimes - gosh and golly - the language is not very politic.

Why not come to this Saturdays LPSF meeting at Cybelle's Pizza @ 9th and Irving at 3:00 pm and see for yourself - okay? Then during the 5:00 - 6:00 pizza hour you can spellbind us with your colorful language skills - okay?

BTW: I spent 4 years in the Navy and I can guarantee I have forgot more colorful language then you will ever know - we can always trade verbiage - and leave everyone else with mouths gaping open like little fishies out of the water as they learn new words of vitriol - are you up to the challenge? Yeah Sure - Unh Hunh!

Now get out there and do some random acts of kindness.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian
To: lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:13:28 PM

Ron-

That's illogical. By that logic someone who chooses to mention the Christian God or the Bible on the LPSF list is 'imposing' their views on the rest of us. You can't have a doublt standard for profane and non-profane language. Either anytime anyone mentions anything not strictly about LPSF business they are equally imposing on others, or no one is imposing on others by doing so. The view that profane language is unique in this respect is based on a moral intuition that certain words are innately harmful. That is an intuition I don't freakin' share.

I don't think you have any idea how culturally partisan this looks from my side of the table. Dude. Seriously. I get messages with colourful language every day of the way and somehow survive. I suspect Angela just also lives with a set of cultural expectations (she's young, lives in West Hollywood) that are different from yours. It seems blatantly obvious to me that you are taking your cultural expectations for granted and censuring another party member for violating them. This is exactly the kind of reason why I think lifestyle issues are important in this party. Manners and decorum are class and cultural markers and an easy means to shut out people of different social groups.

And its ridiculous to equate use of vulgar language with a lack of erudition. Angela is clearly an intelligent and educated person even if she doesn't talk like you. You seem to presume that anyone with education will choose to use their learning to take on 'better' social affectations. Well, I think the confusion of erudition with class is utterly destructive to an authentic love of knowledge. And refinement of speech in the service of eloquence and beauty is a different matter entirely from the refinement of speech to spare a delicate ear.

I note you've all successfully used your dislike of Angela's style to utterly ignore her substance. You *are* nicely proving her point. It's precisely like the habit of certain Robert Rules of Order black belts to use the technicalities of formal debate to squelch the ideas of those who don't think by Roberts Rules of Order. I notice that the Sex Workers' Outreach Project, the San Francisco Peoples' Organisation, the Harvey Milk Democratic Club manage to function wuthout this fetishised heirarchy. I've recently been attending lots of hearings at City Hall and they were less stuffy than this.

That's all. I've vented and said what I think, and now I'm shutting up because it's pointless. Please go back to your by-the-book meetings and polite language. Thank you.

love and strife,

Lady Aster <image.tiff>

{)(*)(}

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder
Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

<image.tiff> email ms_shiris@hotmail. com <image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:16:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Dr. Mike;

Au Contraire

As a highly skilled expert experienced psychologist I'm certain you can appreciate the fact that while the no-no words used publicly or in e-mails to the groups reflects on the sender and indirectly effects the group. While it is gol' dang certain we are all exposed to those words from time time I believe that it takes a special someone with the necessary adult conversational skills to avoid using profanity in general discussion or in group discussions.

I do not believe the use of profanity in our discussion group has a place as we are fairly quite educated individuals with a wealth of personal life's experiences which we can bring to the group - but without getting profane or using profanity.

I personally do not advocate censorship in any format no matter how innocuous it may appear. However as a group I believe the individuals who make us what we are and what do and what we can achieve can do so without resorting to profanity as a general part of our discussion.

Jimminy Cricket why can't we all just get along with each other. Great Jumpin Jehosaphat let's show our educational skills not a dumpster diving.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:36:09 AM
Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this is an open letter to the LPC]

Hey!

In case anyone's interested, here's my 2c on the topic of vitriol and "offensive" language:

I'm not categorically against vitriol in our discussions. In fact, passionately hating the state, Woodrow Wilson, Abe Lincoln, etc. is fine with me. However, I am (vitriolicly? ) against vitriolic attacks on our fellow LPSFers, which can rapidly lead to the destruction of our unusually cohesive group of liberty activists.

Similarly, I'm not categorically against using words like "fuck," "shit," etc., when not used as part of a vitriolic attack on LPSFers. These words have their place in expressing passion, humor, etc. I assume one offended by such language is precluded from enjoyably reading Chaucer, Shakespeare, or even going to the movies.

Best, Michael

Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:44 PM
Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: Actually this is an open letter to the LPC

Dear All,

For what it is worth, I will continue my efforts to keep the LPSF e-
mail lists free of disrespectful language. Perhaps it is not just
the language that is offensive in the e-mail below, but the
negativism.

Regards,

Marcy Berry

--- In lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com, "theliberatedspace"
<theliberatedspace@ ...> wrote:
>
> Funny, it took seven years in Austin and a Badnarik birthday party
> for me to (however temporarily) resent everyone in the Texas
> Libertarian Party. You Californians, being much much sharper,
> managed to drive me crazy in seven months. I posted the following
> on my website. Bitch and moan if wish but it beats me getting up
at
> the next Ex Com meeting to shout, "Fuck you. Fuck you all."
>
> 08/08/06--World Leader Pretend
> Author: Angela
> Date: 08-09-06 02:37
>
> "If I'm told I have the burden of proving to you that I'm not
> wasting my time, well, f-ck you. You can quote me on that."
>
> --David Bergland
>
> No,no, I didn't do it. No open letter to the LPC. No insisting that
> our national chair ban the entire state party from the LNC due to
> hooliganism, sad sackery, neuroses, quirky mysticism and a ruling
on
> slippers. No smarmy remarks (e.g.,"If M.H. is so rich, why didn't
he
> buy himself some shoes and a little deodorant.")
>
> If you haven't guessed, I am sick and tired of the Libertarian
Party
> of California. On its best day it is a force for comedy and on its
> worse it is simply an impediment to a free society.
>
> No, I don't mind that each and every member past and present of the
> LPC Ex Com possesses a personality defect or some completely
> untoward eccentricity. What I mind is that every faction insists
> that its vision of the LPC is the true and only heaven. Meanwhile,
> Keaton is merely some anarchist crank with an increasingly tight
bum
> (thanks Badnarik people for the kick in the ass.) If anything, I am
> developing a fondness for this collection of kooks hence, I am
> issuing not so much a fatwa but a guide to how and why I will vote
> any goddamn way I want for the remainder of my term.
>
> No emails, no plaintive phone calls. I'm done with the plots, the
> therapy sessions and the tormented revelations. Like the rest of
> you, I am voting however the hell I want and if you don't like it
> you can vote me out come 2008 when we have our convention in an
> efficiency off of Wilshire or a cargo ship off of Novaya Zemlya.
>
> 1.) Operation Breakthrough- -It is distasteful however well meaning
> to create a professional class of libertarian bureaucrats through
> elections to non-partisan administrative boards. While I maintain
> the deepest respect and affection for our chair, Operation
> Breakthrough is antithetical to the goals of a libertarian society
> and merely adopts the strategy of our oppressors.
>
> 2.)The excluded LPC middle, reformists and moderates--I have often
> heard the cry of "we want people who want to be part of something
> larger than themselves." "We want to do whatever works." "We want
> freedom now!" "Wouldn't you rather have some freedom than none?"
>
> First, this is the language of the collectivist, the "democrat,"
and
> ultimately the mob. The fight for freedom is often a solitary
> struggle. While we come together to promote libertarian values, the
> desire for liberty must emanate from within each rational man. The
> language we use must reflect our ultimate goals.
>
> Second, the shift toward "holistic values" is a dangerous
> development as it slouches ever so slowly with its promises
> of "moderation" and "incrementalism" to a libertarianism without
> liberty as its primary value. Without liberty the other values are
> meaningless and more importantly as radical individualists each man
> must decide for himself what is his hierarchy of values.
>
> Finally, as we slide toward a moderate platform with an increasing
> reluctance to stand by our radical principles, we demonstrate no
> understanding of the Hegelian dialectic, human psychology or recent
> political history. Those yet unknown fellow travelers among us
> crave, "a choice, not an echo."
>
> We dissuade freedom fighters from the bold move of casting a vote
> for liberty if we demand that they accept a bland rehash of failed
> GOP policy.
>
> As for the big tent, well, "We can't accept all the shit that walks
> in off the streets."
>
> 3.) "Pro War Libertarian" is not an acceptable deviation for those
> in leadership posts. This is not 1971. We are no longer a club for
> Randians angered with Nixon's price controls. The Libertarian Party
> has developed a clear and consistent message and those in
leadership
> posts should reflect it. While we should offer our hand in
> brotherhood to those thoughtful conservatives, we should work to
> persuade them that the non-aggression principle is the lynch pin of
> a civilized people.
>
> 4.) In an effort to stay true to my anarchist moral core, I have
> disaffiliated with the Grassroots Caucus. While I unquestionably
> support the caucus' principles, I must give a "no confidence" vote
> to its leadership which remains mired in trivial and petty
stylistic
> conflicts with the Ex Com while police brutality, government theft
> of private property and the occupation of foreign soil remain the
> order of the day. None of which will change if we merely concern
> ourselves with the "corporate image" of our current Ex Com
> leadership. While we argue over what to wear, the revolution takes
> place outside without us.
>
> In Liberty,
> Angela Keaton, West Hollywood, CA
> At Large Member LPC
>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Post Classified Ads for FREE!!

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial!

<image.tiff>

Dear Starchild,

"Blessed are the Peacemakers...." Just a personal note of thanks
from me.

Regards,

Marcy

I spoke with Angela also, and she expressed the opinion that

when she

voted that she was getting the best deal she could, and that a $99
registration fee was better than a $150 registration fee. While I
question the wisdom of that approach, I do not question her good
intentions. I think she is under a lot of stress right now, and

might

not have said the things she said at another time, so I hope folks

will

pardon her. Speaking of forgiveness, mistress Aster, please pardon

me

if I have been getting too uppity.

Love & liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

> Ron,
>
> No thank you, at least at the moment. Please understand that my
> health isn't the best and going out to Sunset for a meeting isn't

the

> easiest thing for me- plus I need to stay at home so I don't miss
> business. As for Starchild... look, I'm not feeling so hot

towards him

> right now either, but please don't try to divide and conquer*.Â

After

> talking to Angela I think he and I were both wrong on

the specifics of

> the $99 thing but I still share his basic sentiments on the

principles

> involved.
>
> But I just need to figure out if I think that the problem with

the

> Libertarian Party, since I don't think it's the 'libertarian', is

the

> 'Party'. I need time to think alone.
>
> love and strife,
>
> Lady Aster <image.tiff>{)(*)(}
>
> *to Starchild (and no on else): that's *ahem*, a classic tactic

that

> the PRIVILEGED use to derail the protests of the MARGINALISED

and/or

> OPPRESSED.Â
>
> Freude, schˆner Gˆtterfunken
> Tochter aus Elysium,
> Wir betreten feuertrunken,
> Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
> Deine Zauber binden wieder
> Was die Mode streng geteilt.
> Alle Menschen werden Br¸der
> Wo dein sanfter Fl¸gel weilt.
<image.tiff>Â email ms_shiris@... <image.tiff>
>
<image.tiff>
>
> From: Ron Getty <tradergroupe@...>
> Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
> To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually

this is

> an open letter to the LPC]
> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Dear Lady Aster;
> Â
> Why do you presume another presumption that "Â I'm making no one

happy

> hanging around.". Afterall, this is a (heh heh heh) BIG TENT

PARTY!!!

> and is open to all comers and all thoughts and persuasions.

Change

> come from the inside!!!
>
> Â
>
> At least with yourself we get some erudite concerned points about
> erudite concerned matters which beats the heck reading about
> Starchild's constant whining and kvetching about why aren't we

holding

> LP conventions at nudist centers where the overhead is low and

there's

> no covering things up and it all hangs out so to speak.(heh heh

heh)

>
> Â
>
> Why not try the LPSF meeting this Saturday - THEN - if you don't

> what you see or hear - then bail out - throw in the towel - call

it

> quits - pack your baga up and so on. Â
>
> Â
>
> THEN remember way back in Colonial times how if the Founding

Fathers

> had done the same thing you are proposing to do and did not fight

back

> and try to change things and literally put their lives on the

line and

> their necks in the hangman's noose why today we'd have to be

kissing

> Tony Blair's butt and curtseying to Prince Charles and Duchess

Camel.

> Yucky!!
>
> Â
>
> Give it a shot okay???
>
> Â
>
> Ron Getty
>
> SF Libertarian
>
> Â
>
> Â
>
> From: Lady Aster <ms_shiris@...>
> Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:30:12 PM

this is

>
> Ron-
>
> I don't really want to go on about this, but fair's fair:
>
> 1) You're right, I made stupid assumptions about your

background. mea

> culpa
>
> 2) I didnt say you were 'censoring' but 'censuring'- altho' as

you

> know I believe there are non-state form of oppression, do the
> difference isn't quite as huge to me as with most ibertarians-

there

> are ways to push people around that don't involve force. Still,

if I

> carelessly implied you wanted to censor Angela I do apologise..
>
> 3) I do *not* apologise for a similar claim that Marcy was making
> veiled threats to Angela. That's simply true. I do apologise

for

> having any issues I have with her bleed off onto you.
>
> 4) On LPSF meetings... well, I came back from Portland all fired

to

> make a difference in the Party, but I'm rather having second
> thoughts. The immense good will I got from most libertarians

there

> convinced me that the problems with the libertarian movement

isn't

> libertarianism or libertarians but the kind of creatures we get
> running the show. I wanted to get involved to change that.Â

However,

> I'm starting to wonder if the whole heirarchical structure of the
> party necessarily invites the worst to get on top and deters the

best

> from exercising influence. If this is true, the Party as we

know it

> is a lost cause- it's heirarchical and conformist for the same

reason

> all big organisations are heirarchical cand onformist, and the

only

> answer would be to abandon political parties as a means entirely

or at

> least look for totally different kinds of organisations.
>
> I'm not convinced of this idea, but until I think it over I'm

staying

> away from Party business. As such, I'll be staying away from

this

> list for awhile. I'm making no one happy hanging around.
>
> love and strife,
>
> Lady Aster <image.tiff>
>
> {)(*)(}
>
> Freude, schöner Götterfunken
> Tochter aus Elysium,
> Alle Menschen werden Brüder
> Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
<image.tiff>Â email ms_shiris@... <image.tiff>
>
<image.tiff>
>
> From: Ron Getty <tradergroupe@...>
> Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com

this is

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Dear Lady Aster;
> Â
> First of all on Angela's points she was making there are those of

us

> who are not with the Ex Comm or have been to Ex Comm meetings or

State

> or National party conventions or LP business meetings and really

don't

> have a clue or care about as to what she is talking about.
> Â
> Please be advised - It is difficult to commentez vous about her

screed

> unless you have some idea of what it is all about. You presumed

the

> members here would all know what she meant and comment of course

on

> what she had to say about the LP organization or lack thereof.
> Â
> I will not comment on her points because I do not have sufficient
> enough knowledge about what she is referring to - ergo my

silence - as

> for everyone else - they can comment whenever they so choose -

but it

> would be nice if they could provide some perspective as to what

the

> heck it is all about.
> Â
> When I made my comments about the use of profanity it did not say

to

> stop anyone from discussing anything on any topic - it was a

request

> to maintain some level of propriety. Nothing was ever said about
> anything of what was discussed by whom or when and censoring

their

> comments - where the heck you got that from I'll never know.
> Â
> Don't put words in where there were no such words as I said I do

not

> believe in censorship - say what you want anytime you want to

about

> whatever you want - however - profanity it is not needed to
> have discussions whether making it more colorful or not.Â
> Â
> Also our meetings are not very by the book they do follwo an

agenda -

> Â and sometimes - gosh and golly - the language is not very

politic.

> Â
> Why not come to this Saturdays LPSF meeting at Cybelle's Pizza @

9th

> and Irving at 3:00 pm and see for yourself - okay? Then during

the

> 5:00 - 6:00 pizza hour you can spellbind us with your colorful
> language skills - okay?
> Â
> BTW: I spent 4 years in the Navy and I can guarantee I have

forgot

> more colorful language then you will ever know - we can always

trade

> verbiage - and leave everyone else with mouths gaping open like

little

> fishies out of the water as they learn new words of vitriol -

are you

> up to the challenge? Yeah Sure - Unh Hunh! Â Â Â
> Â
> Now get out there and do some random acts of kindness.Â
> Â
> Ron Getty
> SF Libertarian
> From: Lady Aster <ms_shiris@hotmail. com>
> To: lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:13:28 PM

this is

>
> Yes there are great works of literature which are very profane

and

> well worth reading and there are great movies which also have
> profanity - HOWEVER - those are read by choice or watched by

choice  -

> I do not believe the members of this group or LPSF are members so

they

> can hear or read profanity and not have a choice because some

> chooses to impose their lack of erudition and crassness on the

group.

>
> Ron-
>
> That's illogical. By that logic someone who chooses to mention

the

> Christian God or the Bible on the LPSF list is 'imposing' their

views

> on the rest of us. You can't have a doublt standard for profane

and

> non-profane language. Either anytime anyone mentions anything

not

> strictly about LPSF business they are equally imposing on others,

or

> no one is imposing on others by doing so. The view that profane
> language is unique in this respect is based on a moral intuition

that

> certain words are innately harmful. That is an intuition I

don't

> freakin' share.
>
> I don't think you have any idea how culturally partisan this

looks

> from my side of the table. Dude. Seriously. I get messages

with

> colourful language every day of the way and somehow survive. I
> suspect Angela just also lives with a set of cultural

expectations

> (she's young, lives in West Hollywood) that are different from

yours.Â

> It seems blatantly obvious to me that you are taking your

cultural

> expectations for granted and censuring another party member for
> violating them. This is exactly the kind of reason why I think
> lifestyle issues are important in this party. Manners and

decorum are

> class and cultural markers and an easy means to shut out people

of

> different social groups.
>
> And its ridiculous to equate use of vulgar language with a lack

of

> erudition. Angela is clearly an intelligent and educated person

even

> if she doesn't talk like you. You seem to presume that anyone

with

> education will choose to use their learning to take on 'better'

social

> affectations. Well, I think the confusion of erudition with

class is

> utterly destructive to an authentic love of knowledge. And

refinement

> of speech in the service of eloquence and beauty is a different
> matter entirely from the refinement of speech to spare a

delicate ear.

>
> I note you've all successfully used your dislike of Angela's

style to

> utterly ignore her substance. You *are* nicely proving her

point.Â

> It's precisely like the habit of certain Robert Rules of Order

black

> belts to use the technicalities of formal debate to squelch the

ideas

> of those who don't think by Roberts Rules of Order. I notice

that the

> Sex Workers' Outreach Project, the San Francisco Peoples'
> Organisation, the Harvey Milk Democratic Club manage to function
> wuthout this fetishised heirarchy. I've recently been

attending lots

> of hearings at City Hall and they were less stuffy than this.
>
> That's all. I've vented and said what I think, and now I'm

shutting

> up because it's pointless. Please go back to your by-the-book
> meetings and polite language. Thank you.
>
> love and strife,
>
> Lady Aster <image.tiff>
>
> {)(*)(}
>
> Freude, schöner Götterfunken
> Tochter aus Elysium,
> Alle Menschen werden Brüder
> Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
<image.tiff>Â email ms_shiris@hotmail. com <image.tiff>
>
<image.tiff>
>
> From: Ron Getty <tradergroupe@ yahoo.com>
> Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com

this is

> Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Dear Dr. Mike;
> Â
> Au Contraire
> Â
> As a highly skilled expert experienced psychologist I'm certain

you

> can appreciate the fact that while the no-no words used publicly

or in

> e-mails to the groups reflects on the sender and indirectly

effects

> the group. While it is gol' dang certain we are all exposed to

those

> words from time time I believe that it takes a special someone

with

> the necessary adult conversational skills to avoid using

profanity in

> general discussion or in group discussions.
> Â
> I do not believe the use of profanity in our discussion group has

a

> place as we are fairly quite educated individuals with a wealth

of

> personal life's experiences which we can bring to the group - but
> without getting profane or using profanity.
> Â
> I personally do not advocate censorship in any format no matter

how

> innocuous it may appear. However as a group I believe the

individuals

> who make us what we are and what do and what we can achieve can

do so

> without resorting to profanity as a general part of our

discussion.

> Â
> Yes there are great works of literature which are very profane

and

> well worth reading and there are great movies which also have
> profanity - HOWEVER - those are read by choice or watched by

choice  -

> I do not believe the members of this group or LPSF are members so

they

> can hear or read profanity and not have a choice because some

> chooses to impose their lack of erudition and crassness on the

group.

> Â
> Jimminy Cricket why can't we all just get along with each other.

Great

> Jumpin Jehosaphat let's show our educational skills not a

dumpster

> diving.Â
> Â
> Ron Getty
> SF Libertarian
>
> Â
> From: dredelstein@ threeminutethera py.com
> Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:36:09 AM
> Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this is

an

> open letter to the LPC]
>
> Hey!
> Â
> In case anyone's interested, here's my 2c on the topic of vitriol

and

> "offensive" language:
> Â
> I'm not categorically against vitriol in our discussions. In

fact,

> passionately hating the state, Woodrow Wilson, Abe Lincoln, etc.

is

> fine with me. However, I am (vitriolicly? ) against vitriolic

attacks

> on our fellow LPSFers, which can rapidly lead to the destruction

of

> our unusually cohesive group of liberty activists.
> Â
> Similarly, I'm not categorically against using words like "fuck,"
> "shit," etc., when not used as part of a vitriolic attack on

LPSFers.

> These words have their place in expressing passion, humor, etc. I
> assume one offended by such language is precluded from enjoyably
> reading Chaucer, Shakespeare, or even going to the movies.
> Â
> Best, Michael
> Â
> From: Amarcy D. Berry
> Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:44 PM
> Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: Actually this is an open letter to

the LPC

>
> Dear All,
>
> For what it is worth, I will continue my efforts to keep the LPSF

e-

> mail lists free of disrespectful language. Perhaps it is not

just

> the language that is offensive in the e-mail below, but the
> negativism.Â
>
> Regards,
>
> Marcy Berry
> Â
>
>
> --- In lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com, "theliberatedspace"
> <theliberatedspace@ ...> wrote:
> >
> > Funny, it took seven years in Austin and a Badnarik birthday

party

> > for me to (however temporarily) resent everyone in the Texas
> > Libertarian Party. You Californians, being much much sharper,
> > managed to drive me crazy in seven months. I posted the

following

> > on my website. Bitch and moan if wish but it beats me getting

up

> at
> > the next Ex Com meeting to shout, "Fuck you. Fuck you all."
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 08/08/06--World Leader Pretend
> > Author: Angela
> > Date:Â Â 08-09-06 02:37
> >
> > "If I'm told I have the burden of proving to you that I'm not
> > wasting my time, well, f-ck you. You can quote me on that."
> >
> > --David Bergland
> >
> > No,no, I didn't do it. No open letter to the LPC. No insisting

that

> > our national chair ban the entire state party from the LNC due

to

> > hooliganism, sad sackery, neuroses, quirky mysticism and a

ruling

> on
> > slippers. No smarmy remarks (e.g.,"If M.H. is so rich, why

didn't

> he
> > buy himself some shoes and a little deodorant.")
> >
> > If you haven't guessed, I am sick and tired of the Libertarian
> Party
> > of California. On its best day it is a force for comedy and on

its

> > worse it is simply an impediment to a free society.
> >
> > No, I don't mind that each and every member past and present of

the

> > LPC Ex Com possesses a personality defect or some completely
> > untoward eccentricity. What I mind is that every faction insists
> > that its vision of the LPC is the true and only heaven.

Meanwhile,

> > Keaton is merely some anarchist crank with an increasingly tight
> bum
> > (thanks Badnarik people for the kick in the ass.) If anything,

I am

> > developing a fondness for this collection of kooks hence, I am
> > issuing not so much a fatwa but a guide to how and why I will

vote

> > any goddamn way I want for the remainder of my term.
> >
> > No emails, no plaintive phone calls. I'm done with the plots,

the

> > therapy sessions and the tormented revelations. Like the rest of
> > you, I am voting however the hell I want and if you don't like

it

> > you can vote me out come 2008 when we have our convention in an
> > efficiency off of Wilshire or a cargo ship off of Novaya Zemlya.
> >
> > 1.) Operation Breakthrough- -It is distasteful however well

meaning

> > to create a professional class of libertarian bureaucrats

through

> > elections to non-partisan administrative boards. While I

maintain

> > the deepest respect and affection for our chair, Operation
> > Breakthrough is antithetical to the goals of a libertarian

society

> > and merely adopts the strategy of our oppressors.
> >
> > 2.)The excluded LPC middle, reformists and moderates--I have

often

> > heard the cry of "we want people who want to be part of

something

> > larger than themselves." "We want to do whatever works." "We

want

> > freedom now!" "Wouldn't you rather have some freedom than none?"
> >
> > First, this is the language of the collectivist, the "democrat,"
> and
> > ultimately the mob. The fight for freedom is often a solitary
> > struggle. While we come together to promote libertarian values,

the

> > desire for liberty must emanate from within each rational man.

The

> > language we use must reflect our ultimate goals.
> >
> > Second, the shift toward "holistic values" is a dangerous
> > development as it slouches ever so slowly with its promises
> > of "moderation" and "incrementalism" to a libertarianism without
> > liberty as its primary value. Without liberty the other values

are

> > meaningless and more importantly as radical individualists each

man

> > must decide for himself what is his hierarchy of values.
> >
> > Finally, as we slide toward a moderate platform with an

increasing

> > reluctance to stand by our radical principles, we demonstrate no
> > understanding of the Hegelian dialectic, human psychology or

recent

> > political history. Those yet unknown fellow travelers among us
> > crave, "a choice, not an echo."
> >
> > We dissuade freedom fighters from the bold move of casting a

vote

> > for liberty if we demand that they accept a bland rehash of

failed

> > GOP policy.
> >
> > As for the big tent, well, "We can't accept all the shit that

walks

> > in off the streets."
> >
> > 3.) "Pro War Libertarian" is not an acceptable deviation for

those

> > in leadership posts. This is not 1971. We are no longer a club

for

> > Randians angered with Nixon's price controls. The Libertarian

Party

> > has developed a clear and consistent message and those in
> leadership
> > posts should reflect it. While we should offer our hand in
> > brotherhood to those thoughtful conservatives, we should work to
> > persuade them that the non-aggression principle is the lynch

pin of

> > a civilized people.
> >
> > 4.) In an effort to stay true to my anarchist moral core, I have
> > disaffiliated with the Grassroots Caucus. While I unquestionably
> > support the caucus' principles, I must give a "no confidence"

vote

> > to its leadership which remains mired in trivial and petty
> stylistic
> > conflicts with the Ex Com while police brutality, government

theft

> > of private property and the occupation of foreign soil remain

the

> > order of the day. None of which will change if we merely concern
> > ourselves with the "corporate image" of our current Ex Com
> > leadership. While we argue over what to wear, the revolution

takes

> > place outside without us.
> >
> > In Liberty,
> > Angela Keaton, West Hollywood, CA
> > At Large Member LPC
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Â
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
> Â
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
> Post Classified Ads for FREE!!
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
> All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-

day

> trial!
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
<image.tiff>
>
> All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.†Get a free 90-

day

Speaking of forgiveness, mistress Aster,

please pardon me if I have been getting too uppity.

And please let me graciously accept your apologies! Just one clarification, Starchild: I’m not a dominatrix; so ‘mistress’ isn’t a correct professional designation; nor is it any proper title of office.

Of course, if you’re just being polite, please use your imagination and feel free to think of lots of other things to call me.

love and strife,

Lady Aster

{)(*)(}

*Tochter aus Elysium,*

email ms_shiris@…

Actually it was more of a tongue-in-cheek response to your comment about the privileged oppressing the marginalized! 8)

<<< starchild >>>

Speaking of forgiveness, mistress Aster,
>please pardon me if I have been getting too uppity.

And please let me graciously accept your apologies! Just one clarification, Starchild: I'm not a dominatrix; so 'mistress' isn't a correct professional designation; nor is it any proper title of > office.

Of course, if you're just being polite, please use your imagination and feel free to think of lots of other things to call me.

love and strife,

Lady Aster <image.tiff>

{)(*)(}

Freude, schˆner Gˆtterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Alle Menschen werden Br¸der
Wo dein sanfter Fl¸gel weilt.

<image.tiff> email ms_shiris@... <image.tiff>

<image.tiff>

Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & ****
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:06:25 -0700
> I spoke with Angela also, and she expressed the opinion that when
>she voted that she was getting the best deal she could, and that a
>$99 registration fee was better than a $150 registration fee. While
>I question the wisdom of that approach, I do not question her good
>intentions. I think she is under a lot of stress right now, and
>might not have said the things she said at another time, so I hope
>folks will pardon her. >
>Love & liberty,
> <<< starchild >>>
>
>>Ron,
>>
>>No thank you, at least at the moment.¬ Please understand that my
>>health isn't the best and going out to Sunset for a meeting isn't
>>the easiest thing for me- plus I need to stay at home so I don't
>>miss business. As for Starchild... look, I'm not feeling so hot
>>towards him right now either, but please don't try to divide and
>>conquer*.¬ After talking to Angela I think he and I were both
>>wrong on the¬ specifics of the $99 thing but I still share his
>>basic sentiments on the principles involved.
>>
>>But I just need to figure out if I think that the problem with the
>>Libertarian Party, since I don't think it's the 'libertarian', is
>>the 'Party'. I need time to think alone.
>>
>>love and strife,
>>
>>Lady Aster¬ <image.tiff>{)(*)(}
>>
>>*to Starchild (and no on else): that's *ahem*, a classic tactic
>>that the PRIVILEGED use to derail the protests of the MARGINALISED
>>and/or OPPRESSED.¬
>>
>>Freude, schÀÜner GÀÜtterfunken
>>Tochter aus Elysium,
>>Wir betreten feuertrunken,
>>Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
>>Deine Zauber binden wieder
>>Was die Mode streng geteilt.
>>Alle Menschen werden Br¸der
>>Wo dein sanfter Fl¸gel weilt.
><image.tiff>¬ email ms_shiris@... <image.tiff>
>>
><image.tiff>
>>
>>From: Ron Getty <tradergroupe@...>
>>Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
>>To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this
>>is an open letter to the LPC]
>>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>Dear Lady Aster;
>>¬
>>Why do you presume another presumption that "¬ I'm making no one
>>happy hanging around.". Afterall, this is a (heh heh heh) BIG TENT
>>PARTY!!! and is open¬ to all comers and all thoughts and
>>persuasions. Change come from the inside!!!
>>
>>¬
>>
>>At least with yourself we get some erudite concerned points about
>>erudite concerned matters which beats the heck reading about
>>Starchild's constant whining and kvetching about why aren't we
>>holding LP conventions at nudist centers where the overhead is low
>>and there's no covering things up and it all hangs out so to
>>speak.(heh heh heh)
>>
>>¬
>>
>>Why not try the LPSF meeting this Saturday - THEN - if you don't
>>like what you see or hear - then bail out - throw in the towel -
>>call it quits - pack your baga up and so on. ¬
>>
>>¬
>>
>>THEN remember way back in Colonial times how if the Founding
>>Fathers had done the same thing you are proposing to do and did not
>>fight back and try to change things and literally put their lives
>>on the line and their necks in the hangman's noose why today we'd
>>have to be kissing Tony Blair's butt and curtseying to¬ Prince
>>Charles and Duchess Camel. Yucky!!
>>
>>¬
>>
>>Give it a shot okay???
>>
>>¬
>>
>>Ron Getty
>>
>>SF Libertarian
>>
>>¬
>>
>>¬
>>
>>From: Lady Aster <ms_shiris@...>
>>Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:30:12 PM
>>
>>Ron-
>>
>>I don't really want to go on about this, but fair's fair:
>>
>>1) You're right, I made stupid assumptions about your background.¬
>>mea culpa
>>
>>2) I didnt say you were 'censoring' but 'censuring'- altho' as you
>>know I believe there are non-state form of oppression, do the
>>difference isn't quite as huge to me as with most ibertarians-
>>there are ways to push people around that don't involve force.¬
>>Still, if I carelessly implied you wanted to censor Angela I do
>>apologise..
>>
>>3) I do *not* apologise for a similar claim that Marcy was making
>>veiled threats to Angela.¬ That's simply true.¬ I do apologise
>>for having any issues I have with her bleed off onto you.
>>
>>4) On LPSF meetings... well, I came back from Portland all fired to
>>make a difference in the Party, but I'm rather having second
>>thoughts.¬ The immense good will I got from most libertarians
>>there convinced me that the problems with the libertarian movement
>>isn't libertarianism or libertarians but the kind of creatures we
>>get running the show.¬ I wanted to get involved to change that.¬
>>However, I'm starting to wonder if the whole heirarchical structure
>>of the party necessarily invites the worst to get on top and deters
>>the best from exercising influence.¬ If this is true, the Party as
>>we know it is a lost cause- it's¬ heirarchical and conformist for
>>the same reason all big organisations are heirarchical cand
>>onformist, and the only answer would be to abandon political
>>parties as a means entirely or at least look for totally different
>>kinds of organisations.
>>
>>I'm not convinced of this idea, but until I think it over I'm
>>staying away from Party business.¬ As such, I'll be staying away
>>from this list for awhile.¬ I'm making no one happy hanging
>>around.
>>
>>love and strife,
>>
>>Lady Aster¬ <image.tiff>
>>
>>{)(*)(}
>>
>>Freude, schöner Götterfunken
>>Tochter aus Elysium,
>>Alle Menschen werden Brüder
>>Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
><image.tiff>¬ email ms_shiris@hotmail.com <image.tiff>
>>
><image.tiff>
>>
>>From: Ron Getty <tradergroupe@...>
>>Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
>>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:53:22 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>Dear Lady Aster;
>>¬
>>First of all on Angela's points she was making there are those of
>>us who are not with the Ex Comm or have been to Ex Comm meetings or
>>State or National party conventions or LP business meetings and
>>really don't have a clue or care about as to what she is talking
>>about.
>>¬
>>Please be advised - It is difficult to commentez vous about her
>>screed unless you have some idea of¬ what it is all about. You
>>presumed the members here would all know what she meant and comment
>>of course on what she had to say about the LP organization or lack
>>thereof.
>>¬
>>I will not comment on her points because I do not have sufficient
>>enough knowledge about what she is referring to - ergo my silence -
>>as for everyone else - they can comment whenever they so choose -
>>but it would be nice if they could provide some perspective as to
>>what the heck it is all about.
>>¬
>>When I made my comments about the use of profanity it did not say
>>to stop¬ anyone from discussing anything on any topic - it was a
>>request to maintain some level of propriety. Nothing was ever said
>>about anything of what was discussed by whom or when and censoring
>>their comments - where the heck you got that from I'll never know.
>>¬
>>Don't put words in where there were no such words as I said I do
>>not believe in censorship - say what you want anytime you want to
>>about whatever you want - however - profanity it is not needed to
>>have¬ discussions whether making it more colorful or not.¬
>>¬
>>Also our meetings are not very by the book they do follwo an agenda
>>- ¬ and sometimes - gosh and golly - the language is not very
>>politic.
>>¬
>>Why not come to this Saturdays LPSF meeting at Cybelle's Pizza @
>>9th and Irving at 3:00 pm and see for yourself¬ - okay? Then during
>>the 5:00 - 6:00 pizza¬ hour you can spellbind us with your colorful
>>language skills - okay?
>>¬
>>BTW: I spent 4 years in the Navy and I can guarantee I have forgot
>>more colorful language then you will ever know - we can always
>>trade verbiage - and leave everyone else with mouths gaping open
>>like little fishies out of the water as they learn new words
>>of¬ vitriol - are you up to the challenge? Yeah Sure - Unh Hunh!
>>¬ ¬ ¬
>>¬
>>Now get out there and do some random acts of kindness.¬
>>¬
>>Ron Getty
>>SF Libertarian
>>From: Lady Aster <ms_shiris@hotmail. com>
>>To: lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com
>>Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 12:13:28 PM
>>
>>Yes there are great works of literature which are very profane and
>>well worth reading and there are great movies which also have
>>profanity - HOWEVER - those are read by choice or watched by
>>choice¬ ¬ - I do not believe the members of this group or LPSF are
>>members so they can hear or read profanity and not have a choice
>>because some member chooses to impose their lack of erudition and
>>crassness on the group.
>>
>>Ron-
>>
>>That's illogical.¬ By that logic someone who chooses to mention
>>the Christian God or the Bible on the LPSF list is 'imposing' their
>>views on the rest of us.¬ You can't have a doublt standard for
>>profane and non-profane language.¬ Either anytime anyone mentions
>>anything not strictly about LPSF business they are equally imposing
>>on others, or no one is imposing on others by doing so.¬ The view
>>that profane language is unique in this respect is based on a moral
>>intuition that certain words are innately harmful.¬ That is an
>>intuition I don't freakin' share.
>>
>>I don't think you have any idea how culturally partisan this looks
>>from my side of the table.¬ Dude.¬ Seriously.¬ I get messages
>>with colourful language every day of the way and somehow survive.¬
>>I suspect Angela just also¬ lives with¬ a set of cultural
>>expectations (she's young, lives in West Hollywood) that are
>>different from yours.¬ It seems blatantly obvious to me that you
>>are taking your cultural expectations for granted and censuring
>>another party member for violating them.¬ This is exactly the kind
>>of reason why I think lifestyle issues are important in this
>>party.¬ Manners and decorum are class and cultural markers and an
>>easy means to shut out people of different social groups.
>>
>>And its ridiculous to equate use of vulgar language with a lack of
>>erudition.¬ Angela is clearly an intelligent and educated person
>>even if she doesn't talk like you.¬ You seem to presume that
>>anyone with education will choose to use their learning to take on
>>'better' social affectations.¬ Well, I think the confusion of
>>erudition with class is utterly destructive to an authentic love of
>>knowledge.¬ And refinement of speech in the service of¬ eloquence
>>and beauty is a different matter¬ entirely from¬ the refinement of
>>speech¬ to spare a delicate ear.
>>
>>I note you've all successfully used your dislike of Angela's style
>>to utterly ignore her substance.¬ You *are* nicely proving her
>>point.¬ It's precisely like the habit of certain Robert Rules of
>>Order black belts to use the technicalities of formal debate to
>>squelch the ideas of those who don't think by¬ Roberts Rules of
>>Order.¬ I notice that the Sex Workers' Outreach Project, the San
>>Francisco Peoples' Organisation, the Harvey Milk Democratic Club
>>manage to function wuthout this fetishised heirarchy.¬ I've
>>recently¬ been attending lots of hearings at City Hall and they
>>were less stuffy than this.
>>
>>That's all.¬ I've vented and said what I think, and now I'm
>>shutting up because it's pointless.¬ Please go back to your
>>by-the-book meetings and polite language.¬ Thank you.
>>
>>love and strife,
>>
>>Lady Aster¬ <image.tiff>
>>
>>{)(*)(}
>>
>>Freude, schöner Götterfunken
>>Tochter aus Elysium,
>>Alle Menschen werden Brüder
>>Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.
><image.tiff>¬ email ms_shiris@hotmail. com <image.tiff>
>>
><image.tiff>
>>
>>From: Ron Getty <tradergroupe@ yahoo.com>
>>Reply-To: lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com
>>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>Dear Dr. Mike;
>>¬
>>Au Contraire
>>¬
>>As a highly skilled expert experienced psychologist I'm certain you
>>can appreciate the fact that while the no-no words used publicly or
>>in e-mails to the groups reflects on the sender and indirectly
>>effects the group. While it is¬ gol' dang certain we are all
>>exposed to those words from time time I believe that it takes a
>>special someone with the¬ necessary adult conversational skills to
>>avoid using profanity in general discussion or in group
>>discussions.
>>¬
>>I do not believe the use of profanity in our discussion group has a
>>place as we are fairly quite educated individuals with a¬ wealth of
>>personal life's experiences which we can bring to the group - but
>>without getting profane or using profanity.
>>¬
>>I personally do not advocate censorship in any format no matter how
>>innocuous it may appear. However as a group I believe the
>>individuals who make us what we are and what do and what we can
>>achieve can do so without resorting to profanity as a general part
>>of our discussion.
>>¬
>>Yes there are great works of literature which are very profane and
>>well worth reading and there are great movies which also have
>>profanity - HOWEVER - those are read by choice or watched by
>>choice¬ ¬ - I do not believe the members of this group or LPSF are
>>members so they can hear or read profanity and not have a choice
>>because some member chooses to impose their lack of erudition and
>>crassness on the group.
>>¬
>>Jimminy Cricket why can't we all just get along with each other.
>>Great Jumpin Jehosaphat let's show our educational skills not¬ a
>>dumpster diving.¬
>>¬
>>Ron Getty
>>SF Libertarian
>>
>>¬
>>From: dredelstein@ threeminutethera py.com
>>Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:36:09 AM
>>Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Vitriol & **** [was: Re: Actually this is
>>an open letter to the LPC]
>>
>>Hey!
>>¬
>>In case anyone's interested, here's my 2c on the topic of vitriol
>>and "offensive" language:
>>¬
>>I'm not categorically against vitriol in our discussions. In fact,
>>passionately hating the state, Woodrow Wilson, Abe Lincoln, etc. is
>>fine with me. However, I am (vitriolicly? ) against vitriolic
>>attacks on our fellow LPSFers, which can rapidly lead to the
>>destruction of our unusually cohesive group of liberty activists.
>>¬
>>Similarly, I'm not categorically against using words like "fuck,"
>>"shit," etc., when not used as part of a vitriolic attack on
>>LPSFers. These words have their place in expressing passion, humor,
>>etc. I assume one¬ offended by such language is precluded from
>>enjoyably reading Chaucer, Shakespeare, or even going to the
>>movies.
>>¬
>>Best, Michael
>>¬
>>From: Amarcy D. Berry
>>Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 4:44 PM
>>Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Re: Actually this is an open letter to the
>>LPC
>>
>>Dear All,
>>
>>For what it is worth, I will continue my efforts to keep the LPSF
>>e-
>>mail lists free of disrespectful language.¬ Perhaps it is not just
>>the language that is offensive in the e-mail below, but the
>>negativism.¬
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Marcy Berry
>>¬
>>
>>--- In lpsf-discuss@ yahoogroups. com, "theliberatedspace"
>><theliberatedspace@ ...> wrote:
>> >
>> > Funny, it took seven years in Austin and a Badnarik birthday
>>party
>> > for me to (however temporarily) resent everyone in the Texas
>> > Libertarian Party.¬ You Californians, being much much sharper,
>> > managed to drive me crazy in seven months.¬ I posted the
>>following
>> > on my website.¬ Bitch and moan if wish but it beats me getting
>>up
>>at
>> > the next Ex Com meeting to shout, "Fuck you. Fuck you all."
>> >
>> > 08/08/06--World Leader Pretend
>> > Author: Angela
>> > Date:¬ ¬ 08-09-06 02:37
>> >
>> > "If I'm told I have the burden of proving to you that I'm not
>> > wasting my time, well, f-ck you. You can quote me on that."
>> >
>> > --David Bergland
>> >
>> > No,no, I didn't do it. No open letter to the LPC. No insisting
>>that
>> > our national chair ban the entire state party from the LNC due
>>to
>> > hooliganism, sad sackery, neuroses, quirky mysticism and a
>>ruling
>>on
>> > slippers. No smarmy remarks (e.g.,"If M.H. is so rich, why
>>didn't
>>he
>> > buy himself some shoes and a little deodorant.")
>> >
>> > If you haven't guessed, I am sick and tired of the Libertarian
>>Party
>> > of California. On its best day it is a force for comedy and on
>>its
>> > worse it is simply an impediment to a free society.
>> >
>> > No, I don't mind that each and every member past and present of
>>the
>> > LPC Ex Com possesses a personality defect or some completely
>> > untoward eccentricity. What I mind is that every faction insists
>> > that its vision of the LPC is the true and only heaven.
>>Meanwhile,
>> > Keaton is merely some anarchist crank with an increasingly tight
>>bum
>> > (thanks Badnarik people for the kick in the ass.) If anything, I
>>am
>> > developing a fondness for this collection of kooks hence, I am
>> > issuing not so much a fatwa but a guide to how and why I will
>>vote
>> > any goddamn way I want for the remainder of my term.
>> >
>> > No emails, no plaintive phone calls. I'm done with the plots,
>>the
>> > therapy sessions and the tormented revelations. Like the rest of
>> > you, I am voting however the hell I want and if you don't like
>>it
>> > you can vote me out come 2008 when we have our convention in an
>> > efficiency off of Wilshire or a cargo ship off of Novaya Zemlya.
>> >
>> > 1.) Operation Breakthrough- -It is distasteful however well
>>meaning
>> > to create a professional class of libertarian bureaucrats
>>through
>> > elections to non-partisan administrative boards. While I
>>maintain
>> > the deepest respect and affection for our chair, Operation
>> > Breakthrough is antithetical to the goals of a libertarian
>>society
>> > and merely adopts the strategy of our oppressors.
>> >
>> > 2.)The excluded LPC middle, reformists and moderates--I have
>>often
>> > heard the cry of "we want people who want to be part of
>>something
>> > larger than themselves." "We want to do whatever works." "We
>>want
>> > freedom now!" "Wouldn't you rather have some freedom than none?"
>> >
>> > First, this is the language of the collectivist, the "democrat,"
>>and
>> > ultimately the mob. The fight for freedom is often a solitary
>> > struggle. While we come together to promote libertarian values,
>>the
>> > desire for liberty must emanate from within each rational man.
>>The
>> > language we use must reflect our ultimate goals.
>> >
>> > Second, the shift toward "holistic values" is a dangerous
>> > development as it slouches ever so slowly with its promises
>> > of "moderation" and "incrementalism" to a libertarianism without
>> > liberty as its primary value. Without liberty the other values
>>are
>> > meaningless and more importantly as radical individualists each
>>man
>> > must decide for himself what is his hierarchy of values.
>> >
>> > Finally, as we slide toward a moderate platform with an
>>increasing
>> > reluctance to stand by our radical principles, we demonstrate no
>> > understanding of the Hegelian dialectic, human psychology or
>>recent
>> > political history. Those yet unknown fellow travelers among us
>> > crave, "a choice, not an echo."
>> >
>> > We dissuade freedom fighters from the bold move of casting a
>>vote
>> > for liberty if we demand that they accept a bland rehash of