Upcoming School Board events / contentious blog discussion

The upcoming School Board candidate forums I mentioned at yesterday's LPSF meeting are:

October 22
630-8pm
Tenderloin Community School
Corner of Turk and Van Ness

October 27
630-8pm
Lincoln High School
2162 24th Avenue (at Rivera)

Both events are sponsored by San Francisco PTA, Parents For Public Schools, Chinese for Affirmative Action, SF EdFund, Support for Families, Coleman Advocates and Friends of the Public Library, and will be moderated by someone from the League of Women Voters.

I'm also engaged in a discussion of the school assignment system and other issues at this blog -- http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/25/BA5P1FHFT7.DTL&type=education#ixzz10nGaO4a6. Supportive comments would be most welcome.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Thank you. I have October 22 on my calendar.

As an aside. I am listening to Latino USA on NPR as I type this. The program is addressing newly arrived students, which they describe as being in this country three years and less. What a boondoggle!! In funds-short parochial schools, which my daughter attended, there is no coddling, students dive right in, and know English in a few months. And of course, I speak from experience, since I went from no English to fluent and the honor roll in one semester. Just wondering if you or any of your fellow candidates are at all addressing this money-sucking issue.

Marcy

Thanks, Marcy. Unfortunately, I'm not acquainted with the details of this myself, but if you can find me usable (i.e. reliably sourced) data on this problem in the SF Unified School District, I'll certainly try to make a point of talking about it.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Oh, I doubt if there is any *good* data on the subject of foreign kids in the public schools. As I said, I was just wondering if any of the candidates was addressing this issue. I guess the answer is "No."

Another aside, which also falls in the category of my venting rather than offering any helpful information: When a family fills out a school application and says on the application that the the family speaks a language other than English at home, the school is mandated to conduct an evaluation of the student's abilities and suggest programs. Which reminds me of the old saying "To a hammer everything looks like a nail." To an evaluator everyone looks like a candidate for some program or other.

Marcy

Marcy,

I'm sure there *is* data out there, and if it could be organized into usable forms it would be *good* data, but I have to know what I am talking about at least to *some* extent before spouting off about a topic in candidate forums. Last week I and other School Board candidates got to meet with Superintendent Carlos Garcia and some of his underlings, along with a couple current board members not up for reelection, and I pushed them to publish online a list of school district employees by name, position and salary, along with a description of what each employee actually does on a day-to-day basis. Garcia's response was that with 8,000 (iirc) employees, this would be too much trouble. I don't doubt that all this information already exists in various forms in district documents, but distilling it down to a short, useful document is something else again.

No doubt you are right about the issue of non-U.S.-born or non-English-speaking kids in government schools not being taught English quickly enough, but I need hard facts -- or even hard opinions! (i.e. detailed first-hand complaints) -- in order to be able to discuss the issue competently. I would love for you, or anyone else, to provide me with information about any aspect of the SFUSD that is specific enough to enable me to authoritatively criticize the status quo from a libertarian P.O.V. For instance, you refer to English transitioning as a "money-sucking issue" -- can you find out *how much* money this is costing the district each year?

I would very much like to have usable data from school assignment requests, in order to see how many students wanted to go to various schools. People vote with their feet, or try to in this case, and if this data were regularly published in a readable form, it could serve as a wonderful periodic report card on which schools are doing well and which are doing poorly.

Side note -- apparently it isn't just English immersion that's being poorly handled. I just came across this complaint from parents at Buena Vista middle school about the Spanish immersion program being negatively impacted by the district's new school assignment system -- http://www.escuelabv.org/profiles/blogs/statement-of-the-buena-vista.

My platform in a nutshell is let every student within the district attend his or her first-choice school, and put as much control in the hands of the teachers at each school as possible, raising their salaries and cutting administrator salaries to pay for it. The byzantine school assignment system that exists now (and the makeover from what I can tell isn't substantially if any better) doesn't accomplish its goals, leaves many people unhappy, and is so complex that it is a huge waste of everyone's time and resources trying to figure out. Let everyone choose their own school and the system would be a million times simpler. If some schools proved to be horribly overcrowded under this system, parents and students could choose between staying at the overcrowded school or picking a different one instead, but it would be their choice. Meanwhile, the popular schools would get more money, based on enrollment preferences, to expand capacity for the following year.

With teachers in control of each school's programs, and students and parents fully able to vote with their feet, they could pressure the teachers at their own schools to deliver the kind of education they wanted, without having to deal with the district-level bureaucracy. That way if there was a demand for rapid English immersion learning (and I'm sure there is), it would tend to get delivered. Ditto for Spanish immersion or whatever other types of education a significant number of parents and students at government schools wanted.

The immediate challenge however is being able to acquire enough understanding of how this needlessly complex and bureaucratic district operates now to persuasively make the case to the electorate that it should be much, much simpler.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

You might want to also discuss the inevitable computerization and automation of education. My kids were way behind in math after their year in Mexico and we hired tutors to help them. A friend recommended this program called Aleks.com and said his son taught himself Algebra with it. My kids are putting in 2-3 hours a week with it. Like many things, learning is repetition and the kids don't seem to mind being told to repeat stuff by this smiling camel. I hate to think about how they'd feel if it was me asking. And here's the kicker...it cost $168 for both kids for 6 months. That's less than a tutor for just 4 lessons. And they like it more. That's the way they like to learn now.

Also, MIT just put their entire curriculum on-line for FREE. Their motto..."Harvard, because not everyone can get into MIT".

I met the principal of a public school in Golden Gate Heights at a party recently. He was talking about how the school district needed more entrepreneurship. Afterwards, I sent him some articles about how technology was going to bring down the walls the guardians have erected around themselves and this institution....he didn't respond so well. The truth hurts.

From down on at the Port, it's interesting to note that the warehouse unions fought the hand-truck, the forklift and container shipping. But it wasn't until nearly all the warehouse jobs were gone that they figured they better get behind containerized freight and take over administrative functions or there would be nothing left. And that's what the Teamsters have done. Everyone needs to evolve and produce better, faster and for less money. Without change, these teachers and their unions may be doomed to the graveyard of history just like the SF warehouse workers.

Hi Starchild,

The last sentence of your post is a key one. Based on my own experience as a non-English speaking student, my listening to parents when I ran for CC Board a while back, my daughter's experience volunteering for immigrant kids throughout her college and law school days, my close ties with the Brazilian immigrant community, my speaking Spanish and being able to listen to the non-English speaking Latino community, all have convinced me that public education is a big mess; and public education for non-English speakers is a bigger mess! How to fix it, I have no clue. If I were interested, I would do as my daughter did for so many years, and volunteer to help the students directly.

However, my post was a simple question to you whether so far the candidates were addressing the foreign student situation or not. You answered what appears to be "No." That's all I need. I was not asking you to bring it up at the forums; since I am completely aware that you would not have the knowledge of the situation to do so...and my guess is neither do the other candidates.

Marcy

Marcy,

Sorry if I seemed to be avoiding your actual question; that was not my intention. I do not specifically recall hearing any of the candidates mention this topic, but I can't say for sure they haven't. A lot of times in these forums I am too busy thinking about what to say, to pay super careful attention to what other candidates are saying -- especially when so many of them aren't really saying anything, if you know what I mean.

I hope you can make it to one or more of the upcoming forums!

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Oh for sure it must be difficult to keep track of all the balderdash! There is no doubt that your mind must be going at a million miles a second to stay cool and focused in the midst of all that! However, judging from the forums I have attended you mange to do an amazing job. I encourage everyone on this list to attend at least one forum, to witness one form of courage under fire. I plan to attend the Tenderloin Forum to support the kids who live there who, according to my volunteer daughter, represent another form of courage.

Marcy