The most bizarre example of “If you see something, say something” I’ve ever heard of…

Two teenagers in New Jersey were going aroundtheir neighborhood advertising...If you are having trouble viewing this email, or you'd like to share thisarticle with your friends, click here |
>

>

February 2,2015

SovereignValley Farm, ChileWhen I was ateenager, it was pretty common for young people in my lower-middle classneighborhood to find work.I was a waitermyself… though probably one of the worst in history, as I may still holdthe record at Tippin’s Restaurant and Pie Pantry for the most cups ofcoffee spilled on patrons.A lot of otherkids would do odd jobs like cutting the grass and whatnot. And some of themwere pretty successful at it.I remember twokids in my class, Ryan and Will, had a very successful lawn mowingpartnership.One of thereasons they did so well was because they realized how much more efficient andprofitable they could be if they could maximize the number of clients within asingle neighborhood.Instead ofwasting time driving around from neighborhood to neighborhood, they could focuson servicing as many yards as possible within a few blocks.This was anextremely important lesson for them… and one they would never learn inschool.It’sobvious that doing things like this provides incredible and in many caseslife-changing lessons for kids.It’s thewhole idea of having the freedom to start something from scratch out of yourown sweat and labor, to provide a valuable service and to work hard, and stakeyour reputation on the quality of what you do.This concept isat the very foundation of the American Dream. Or at least it used to be.Case in point,last week, two teenagers in New Jersey were going around their neighborhoodadvertising their snow-shoveling service right before the big storm hit.Seems prettyenterprising. But in the New America where security trumps all else, a localresident called the police to report about the teens’ “suspiciousactivity”.It’s thestarkest example of how “if you see something say something” is oneof the most enslaving, destructive mantras in history.Police actuallycame out to investigate since, apparently running a snow-shoveling business issomething that only criminal terrorists would do.Even when thepolice saw that it was just two harmless kids trying to earn some money, theydidn’t let them go on about their business.Instead theyforced them to stop. Because in the Land of the Free, it seems you need apermit in order to offer to shovel snow for people.And so these twoentrepreneurial teenagers were sent home by the police for their lack ofpermitting after being suspected of suspicious activity by a localresident.Just think aboutthe lesson that’s being reinforced here: if you get off your ass, go outthere, and try to take charge of your financial future, you’ll end upwith nothing but a bunch of headaches, accusations, and unpleasant encounterswith the government.These kids justlearned that in the Land of the Free, they’re better off stayinghome.It’s aterrible thing to teach people, especially kids in their formative years, andit happens all the time; we constantly hear these stories now about littlegirls getting run off from their lemonade stands, etc.Entrepreneurshipand enterprise are good for everyone, creating successful businesses, jobs,wealth, and valuable products and services for an entire society.You’dthink that a government drowning in debt would bend over backwards to encouragepeople to get out there and hustle.Insteadthey’ve done just the opposite.Whetherintentional or not, they’re waging a de-facto war on one of the lastremaining cultural values that made America what it once was. Until tomorrow,

Simon Black
  Founder, SovereignMan.com PS. My team and I believe very deeply inentrepreneurship as a means to build wealth and create value, not only foroneself, but for an entire network of employees, shareholders, andcustomers. The good news is that while certainplaces like the US are making it more difficult to do business, business itselfis moving to a world without borders.All that’s necessary is the rightsupport, education, and the will to act.Each summer at our entrepreneurshipcamps, my colleagues and I try to provide the first two.We’re about to open enrollment forthis summer’s camp. So I advise anyone with the third element, to learn more about ithere. |

Neither this email nor content posted on the website SovereignMan.com isintended to provide personal tax or financial advice. Before undertaking anyaction described in this letter, financial or otherwise, you should discussyour options with a qualified advisor-- tax accountant, financial planner,attorney, priest, IRS auditor, Bernie Madoff, etc. If you'd like to update your email address or no longer wish to receive ouremails, please click one of the links below: Update your email address or contact details

Unsubscribe from our daily 'Notes from the Field' Blacksmith Global Ltd.
Publisher of Sovereign Man
30 Cecil Street #19-08
Singapore, Singapore - No State 049712
Singapore |

Thanks for the great
post, Nina. Indeed, it appears that the objective of government at all
levels these days is to grant the label of "successful" to youth who
manage to get plugged in into the system of services. If government
allows for entrepreneurial actions, what would happen to the services
cabal? This subject is one we have been harping on each time LPSF is given
a chance to speak out at forums, etc., such on the occasion of November's
Proposition C, a mammoth gigantic allocation for "children's services"
(no, not talking about libraries, here; unlike what the supporters claimed).

Last night I was reading
on the Misses website a fantastic article, "Secession Begins at
Home." In it, the author quotes another author,

"It’s tempting, and
entirely human, to close our eyes tight and resist radical change — to live in
America’s past.

But to borrow a line from
the novelist L.P. Hartley, 'The past is a foreign country, they
do things differently there.' The America we thought we knew is a mirage; a
memory, a foreign country.

http://mises.org/library/secession-begins-home-0

America's past is the one