Small activism idea

You may or may not be aware that when you visit a website, the owners of that site can tell what website you were looking at immediately previous to theirs. This poses a minor privacy issue, but also represents an opportunity to raise the profile of libertarian ideas by a little bit.

Here's how: When you're about to go to a non-libertarian website, copy the address. Then briefly put the URL of a libertarian site in your browser window first and click return, before pasting or typing in the address of the site you want to visit. That way if the owners of the non-libertarian site bother to look and see where their visitors are coming from, they'll see the address of the site you want them to see. If you make a habit of this, not only will you protect your privacy by not revealing whatever other site you may have last gone to for an actual visit, but you will increase the exposure of a libertarian site.

The libertarian site I use for this purpose is ISIL's flash animation on the philosophy of liberty, http://www.isil.org/resources/introduction.swf , because I think it's the single best libertarian outreach material online. Fortunately I don't have to type in this whole address every time, since my browser (Safari) automatically fills out the rest of the URL of frequently visited sites if I just type in the first part. I think most browsers have this feature. If desired you can always choose a libertarian site as your homepage too, of course.

Yours in liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

A couple people have let me know that my last message below was somewhat mistaken. Apparently a website's owner (or manager) only receives information listing the last site you visited if you arrived at his/her site by clicking on a link. If you type or paste an address into the browser yourself, the site owner is not able to see what site you were last viewing.

According to Mike Linksvayer, there is a way to make the site you came from invisible even for click-throughs, at least with one browser: "If you're using Firefox type about:config into the URL bar, search for network.http.sendRefererHeader, set its value to 0."

Yours in liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>