Slightly Off Topic and Out Of Kilter - Hitler's Indian Restaurant

Starchild-

One issue you don’t mention- which is personally one very important reason why I lean so strongly antiwar- is the danger that a foreign intervention, even if totally just, can easily pose to the liberty and cuture of the home nation’s citizens.

To take the current Iraq War for instance- there are many reason I am against it, including the fact I think it is motivated by American Imperialism and is not exactly proving liberating to Iraqis. But the fundamental reason I am absolutely against this war is domestic and cultural- the patriotic war fervor whipped up at home entrenches the most bigoted and authoritarian forces in American politics. Not only is a Patriot Act passed and torture legalised, and a draft on the horizon- but the victory for the war party means a victory for the Right in the culture war.

If wars were considered the discrete affairs of statesmen and armies of which the populace was not expected to approve (as was sometimes the case in Europe from the Middle Age to roughly the time of the French Revolution), or if wars were conducted by anemic bureaucracies such as the United Nations, I might be more willing to support a given war of liberation. But so long as a war is a social mobilisation, a flag waving affair of God, country, and civil religion, encouraging collectivism, patriotism, patriarchy and all that sucky stuff- then virtually any war poses a serious danger to everything I value. The War on Terror provided the tools for John Ashcroft to use to persecute Robyn Few of the Sex Worker Rights Movement.

Perhaps a policy for foreign intervention in line with the Enlightenment conception of politics might require that wars be conducted “cold”- that is with no mobilisation of patriotic, religious, or familial popular passions. Recent U.S interventions in Bosnia and Haiti would be examples (I am not neccesarily justifying these interventions but just notings the emotional manner in which they were conducted).

(Random spontaneous thought: I suspect this had much to do with the reason so many liberals were willing to overlook Clinton’s foreign interventions. It wasn’t due to hypocrisy, but a feeling that Clinton did not have the culture war agenda of a Nixon or a Bush II and therefore an interventionist war would not be destructive on the home front. Similarly, I suspect the opposition of many conservatives to Clinton’s interventions was precisely due to the fact they were conducted coldly, with no red-blooded American Way manliness.)

love and strife,

Lady Aster

{)(*)(}

*Freude, sch�ner G�tterfunken*
*Tochter aus Elysium,*
*Wir betreten feuertrunken,*
*Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!*
*Deine Zauber binden wieder*
*Was die Mode streng geteilt.*
*Alle Menschen werden Br�der*
*Wo dein sanfter Fl�gel weilt.*

email ms_shiris@…

Dear Starchild;

I take up key board to reply to your message.

First of all this sentence has me baffled : And since you are talking with someone who thinks that your views are colored by an unfortunate American nationalism, you certainly don't do your position any favors by using the United States as your example.

What do you mean by that? Or better yet what do you mean by nationalism? I am puzzled as you seem to very freely want the US military to intervene just about anywhere - Rwanda - Iraq - Afghanistan or countries where bad things are happening to good people like Sudan - Somalia - Ethiopia - Nigeria - Rwanda - Uganda - Zimbabwe - Eritrea - ummmm - did I miss any???

I believe that America should not have its military in virtually every country around the world and definitely should not be bringing "democracy" to Iraq and Afghanistan with bullets and bayonets.

I believe the military-industrial complex needs to be immediately dis-mantled and the money taken from taxpayers stopped from supporting this war-mongering cabal.

I believe any American should have free-trade rights with any person within any country without any government interference from any nation.

I believe we should defend our borders here from any attacking army or navy through a National Defense Militia.

I believe we should not be taking money from taxpayers to send money to any foreign country under any circumstances.

I believe Americans should be free to send money to any country they so choose for any reason they so choose at any time they so choose without government interference from any country.

If this makes me an American nationlist - so be it - deal with it!

Now to answer your other questions.

If a genocide is occuring who is defining the genocide and under what circumstances? Why is it that you believe it is the responsibility of the US to intervene militarily in Rwanda or any other nation where a defined genocide is occuring?

The UN intervened in Rwanda but the rules of engagement where so strick no one from the UN could do much of anything but stand by and watch and duck when bullets flew near them.

To stop the slaughter in Rwanda would have very unfortunately have required killing the killers. But this would not be so clear cut as not all Hutus were killing Tutsi's. Some Hutus were also being killed because they did not side with the government making Tutsi's accomplises of the attacking RPF rebels.

So as as I said originally an e-mail or two back - use the UN to do whatever it wants to do to intervene wherever it so chooses using whatever forces voluntarily offered by whatever government offers them.

Get the US out of the UN and stop using plundered taxpayer monmey to support the UN and the World Bank and The IMF and all other NGO's.

Pure self-defense of America from an invading army means just that. The collateral damage to civilians and property from pure self-defense is totally removed from invading another country and killing innocent civilians who get in the way and destroying the proerty thereof - ala Israel in Lebanon..

Defense of another nation or another peoples is unacceptable - as that requires an invasion force to defend those people. And has been shown in both Iraq and Afghanistan this were and are dismal flops costing the lives of countless tens of thousands and bankrupting the respective countries. Iraq has been in a state of Civil War ever since dumb bunny moron Bush declared Mission Accomplished. And the only place Afghanistan has a government is in Kabul. The countryside is as it has always been going back as far as Alexander the Greats attempts to conquer Afghanistan - it didn't work then and it ain't gonna work now.

If like in the old days one army lined up and attcked another lined up army it would be a different matter. Todays battles are no longer the grand sweeping European battles but what is called 4GW. Like Israel against Hezbollah but Israel used European style methods against guerilla style methods and lost face big time. Although neither side won.

Why should I care about what the Pakistani government does with the money stolen from its citizens? Right now I am far far far more concerned with the money stolen from Americans by the USA government. What Pakistan does with its stolen money is a non-sequitor.

On the Hatian thing is this what you are referring to?

Taking your> >Haitian Revolution example and embellishing on history a bit, let's hypothetically say that rebelling slaves seized several sugar > >plantations in one valley and formed a local democratic tax-funded > >"government" in this area which achieved de facto independence > >significantly before the rest of Haiti was liberated, and say the > >colonial authorities credibly promised to leave them alone. Would it > >then have been right by libertarian principles for this government

>to seek to liberate other plantations in Haiti outside its > >jurisdiction? How about for it to seek to liberate people on the
>other side of the pre-existing border dividing the island of > >Hispaniola, in the Dominican Republic?
>
> Or, since this hypothetical government had already established its > >jurisdiction (the valley it controlled), would it have been > >un-libertarian "foreign intervention" for it to seek to liberate > >slaves outside this jurisdiction on other plantations in Haiti? Or > >would it have been libertarian so long as the slaves on those other > >plantations shared a common language, culture, geographical > >identity, ethnic background, etc., but un-libertarian if the other > >slaves did not have so much in common with the people in the valley? > >Where does one draw the line?

If the rebels formed an accepted government it wouild not be their "right" to free other plantations. That would have constituted an aggressive invasion and that is non-Libertarian - that is where the line is drawn.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Dear Lady Aster;

You are very correct on what is usally referred to as blowback. The WTC were examples of blowback from USA Imperialism and 3,000 paid with their lives. As far as all the hooplah of flag waving etc goes that is unfortunately the way of men in government to get the people to sacrifice their lives - so the government leaders - won't have to sacrifice their lives.

As the saying went about WWI after Wilson got the US into the conflict : rich man's war - poor man's fight.

Wars are used by men to get government control over men - the history of this does go back to Napoleans days when he started using the draft to get an army and changed the equations used previously among nations to fight other nations and from that point forward war fighting and wars have gone down hill and the previous so-called civilized rules of war got tossed out with the bath water.

Look at the massive bombing raids on civilians during WWII and Truman incinerating Hiroshima and Nagasaki with nuclear weapons or the US militray in Vietnam with their free fire zones.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Ron,

My further responses below...

Dear Starchild;

I take up key board to reply to your message.

Better man take up report on human rights abuses! :wink:

First of all this sentence has me baffled : And since you are talking with someone who thinks that your views are colored by an unfortunate American nationalism, you certainly don't do your position any favors by using the United States as your example.

What do you mean by that? Or better yet what do you mean by nationalism? I am puzzled as you seem to very freely want the US military to intervene just about anywhere - Rwanda - Iraq - Afghanistan or countries where bad things are happening to good people like Sudan - Somalia - Ethiopia - Nigeria - Rwanda - Uganda - Zimbabwe - Eritrea - ummmm - did I miss any???

By nationalism I mean looking at the world primarily from an American point of view -- instead of, say, from a libertarian one. You do understand they are not the same thing, right?

I believe that America should not have its military in virtually every country around the world and definitely should not be bringing "democracy" to Iraq and Afghanistan with bullets and bayonets.

I believe the military-industrial complex needs to be immediately dis-mantled and the money taken from taxpayers stopped from supporting this war-mongering cabal.

I believe any American should have free-trade rights with any person within any country without any government interference from any nation.

I believe we should defend our borders here from any attacking army or navy through a National Defense Militia.

Re: American point of view -- here you say "our borders," but in fact you are talking about the borders of the region known as the United States of America. You are identifying yourself with a nation, rather than as an individual. Our borders as individuals surround our personal property and the immediate space around our persons. From a *libertarian* (as opposed to American) point of view, those are the borders we should be considering, since libertarianism is based on *individual* rights, not national rights.

I believe we should not be taking money from taxpayers to send money to any foreign country under any circumstances.

I'm not taking money from taxpayers to send anywhere, and I doubt you are either -- not coercively, anyway. The U.S. government is doing this.

I believe Americans should be free to send money to any country they so choose for any reason they so choose at any time they so choose without government interference from any country.

If this makes me an American nationlist - so be it - deal with it!

Oh, I already believe you are an American nationalist, and I am dealing with it. That's what this message is about! 8)

Now to answer your other questions.

If a genocide is occuring who is defining the genocide and under what circumstances?

Good question. For the most part I agree with the definition established under international law in 1948 by the Genocide Convention (see http://www.preventgenocide.org/law/convention/text.htm). Unlike say theft or murder, however, it is a little difficult to say exactly when something becomes genocide. For example, the Convention includes as genocide, "Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group," "with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such." If a Catholic family adopts a Mormon kid with the intent to, in part, destroy Mormonism, is that genocide? I would say no.

Fortunately, the precise definitions of genocide don't really matter greatly for our purposes here. When lots of people are being killed by a repressive government, it's clearly bad from a libertarian point of view whether it amounts to genocide or not.

Why is it that you believe it is the responsibility of the US to intervene militarily in Rwanda or any other nation where a defined genocide is occuring?

I don't believe it is the responsibility of the U.S. government specifically. I believe that when genocide is occurring, those with the capacity to stop it should do so. I think if we first discuss and establish some general principles, it will be easier than if we immediately jump to talking about the role of the United States.

The UN intervened in Rwanda but the rules of engagement where so strick no one from the UN could do much of anything but stand by and watch and duck when bullets flew near them.

That's partly true, but there was more to it than that. UN troops actually had the legal authority to act to prevent "crimes against humanity," but in most cases they did not do so. Probably some of the blame can be attributed to cowardice, some to a political unwillingness to risk casualties, and some to the fact that there were not enough U.N. troops present to adequately deal with the situation.

To stop the slaughter in Rwanda would have very unfortunately have required killing the killers. But this would not be so clear cut as not all Hutus were killing Tutsi's. Some Hutus were also being killed because they did not side with the government making Tutsi's accomplises of the attacking RPF rebels.

Right. War is often confusing and messy.

So as as I said originally an e-mail or two back - use the UN to do whatever it wants to do to intervene wherever it so chooses using whatever forces voluntarily offered by whatever government offers > them.

How about this as a standard: In cases where rioting or looting breaks out and local police can't cope with it, use the federal government to do whatever it wants to do to intervene wherever it so chooses using whatever forces voluntarily offered by whatever government offers them. If rioting broke out in San Francisco and your life was endangered, would you consider that to be an adequate government policy?

Get the US out of the UN and stop using plundered taxpayer monmey to support the UN and the World Bank and The IMF and all other NGO's.

Why do you always talk about getting the United States out of the United Nations, when from a libertarian perspective it's arguably more important to get China out of the United Nations? Why's that? Well, more people are having their rights violated by China's participation, since there are many more Chinese taxpayers than American taxpayers.

Pure self-defense of America from an invading army means just that. The collateral damage to civilians and property from pure self-defense is totally removed from invading another country and killing innocent civilians who get in the way and destroying the proerty thereof - ala Israel in Lebanon..

Would you please define "pure self-defense?" Specifically, what do you mean by "self?" Self implies personhood, doesn't it?

Defense of another nation or another peoples is unacceptable - as that requires an invasion force to defend those people.

Not necessarily. It could, for example, include a Japanese-based satellite-based anti-missile system that shot down missiles launched at South Korea.

And has been shown in both Iraq and Afghanistan this were and are dismal flops costing the lives of countless tens of thousands and bankrupting the respective countries.

I disagree in several respects. As has been pointed out before on this list, the invasion of Iraq probably saved lives, since more Iraqis were dying under sanctions. It also removed a brutal, unrepresentative regime that was seeking to acquire WMDs. Invading Afghanistan removed an even more repressive regime, put the leaders of Al Qaeda on the run, and significantly disrupted that terrorist organization. As for "bankrupting the respective countries," I would like to see some statistics.

Iraq has been in a state of Civil War ever since dumb bunny moron Bush declared Mission Accomplished. And the only place Afghanistan has a government is in Kabul. The countryside is as it has always been going back as far as Alexander the Greats attempts to conquer Afghanistan - it didn't work then and it ain't gonna work now.

The Taliban have nevertheless been denied effective control over the country, and that means a great deal. If local warlords again hold primary sway over much of the countryside, they are still generally less repressive, and certainly less conducive to harboring Al Qaeda.

If like in the old days one army lined up and attcked another lined up army it would be a different matter. Todays battles are no longer the grand sweeping European battles but what is called 4GW. Like Israel against Hezbollah but Israel used European style methods against guerilla style methods and lost face big time. Although neither side won.

It is still possible to win wars against guerrilla forces. In Peru, for example, the government defeated the "Shining Path" Maoist rebels. In Nigeria, the government defeated the Biafran rebels. But you're right that it is certainly tougher for a superior force to win than it was in the days when both armies took to the field and lined up facing each other.

Why should I care about what the Pakistani government does with the money stolen from its citizens?

Because as a libertarian you care about peoples' rights being violated? Or are you saying that your nationalism trumps your libertarianism, and therefore you only care when Americans' rights are violated?

Right now I am far far far more concerned with the money stolen from Americans by the USA government. What Pakistan does with its stolen money is a non-sequitor.

Why is it a non-sequitor?

On the Hatian thing is this what you are referring to?

Taking your> >Haitian Revolution example and embellishing on history a bit, let's hypothetically say that rebelling slaves seized several sugar > >plantations in one valley and formed a local democratic tax-funded > >"government" in this area which achieved de facto independence > >significantly before the rest of Haiti was liberated, and say the > >colonial authorities credibly promised to leave them alone. Would it > >then have been right by libertarian principles for this government
> >to seek to liberate other plantations in Haiti outside its > >jurisdiction? How about for it to seek to liberate people on the
> >other side of the pre-existing border dividing the island of > >Hispaniola, in the Dominican Republic?
> >
> > Or, since this hypothetical government had already established its > >jurisdiction (the valley it controlled), would it have been > >un-libertarian "foreign intervention" for it to seek to liberate > >slaves outside this jurisdiction on other plantations in Haiti? Or > >would it have been libertarian so long as the slaves on those other > >plantations shared a common language, culture, geographical > >identity, ethnic background, etc., but un-libertarian if the other > >slaves did not have so much in common with the people in the valley? > >Where does one draw the line?

If the rebels formed an accepted government it wouild not be their "right" to free other plantations. That would have constituted an aggressive invasion and that is non-Libertarian - that is where the line is drawn.

So as long as their government is not accepted (accepted by whom?) they have the right to try to liberate other areas, but as soon as their government is accepted, they lose those rights? Something doesn't quite click there.

Love & liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

Dear Starchild

With keyboard under the fingers.

If I live in America and am a Libertarian you can't easily separate the two I certainly couldn't take a Libertarian viewpoint as if I were a German Libertarian. While I do believe the Libertarian viewpoint any actions I take per se are from where I live which is America. I can't take a Egyptian Libertarian action.

As far as borders go it's based on where I live I live in America in the borders defining America the borders don't define Germany. As far as my personal space Libertarianism borders what I would like to do against what I must do to live here are two different things - as an example my Libertarian viewpoint to not pay taxes don't got no chance - unless I go join the underground economy - otherwise based on American standards I don't have a choice because the guvmint forces employers to take my pay and pay it to the guvmint.

Caterwaul all you wnat about Libertarian vs national viewpoints - you are still stuck with the country you are living in and its standards of conduct unless you go off and live in a cave like a hermit - or some similar such thing and cut yourself loose from guvmint and the state - then you can Libertarianism to your hearts content.

How about this as a standard: In cases where rioting or looting breaks out and local police can't cope with it, use the federal government to do whatever it wants to do to intervene wherever it so chooses using whatever forces voluntarily offered by whatever government offers them. If rioting broke out in San Francisco and your life was endangered, would you consider that to be an adequate government policy?

If rioting broke out in San Francisco ( what definition of rioting do you use) and it was so bad the police couldn't control it and the guvmint stepped in and my life was in danger and I would be shooting rioters police and guvmint trooops as I existed SF.
I sure the heck wouldn't stay around letting my life be in danger. It's called bug out time.

I talk about US out of UN because to be in you pay a membership fee in dues and I do not want my tax dollars so spent. So as far as China if I am not in the UN it doesn't matter what China does as China will be China for another thousand years and evolvign accordingly.

Pure self-defense is if somebody attacks me and I defend myself from the attack.

"bankrupting the respective countries," I would like to see some statistics. What you don't believe the USA is bankrupt and in serious debt??? The same with Iraq and Afghanistan? Come come now.

As a Libertarian from a world view there are no persons in any country around the world who isn't having their Libertarian rights violated on a daily basis by their respective countries government. However I can not by myself change what a foreign government does to its citizens anymore than I can change what the US government does to us.

Haiti So as long as their government is not accepted (accepted by whom?) they have the right to try to liberate other areas, but as soon as their government is accepted, they lose those rights? Something doesn't quite click there.

Clarification if the slaves formed their own government and the former slaves accepted the government they formed then the government shouldn't go looking for other salves plantations to take over - that's not non-intervention or non-aggression - let the people of those slave plantations decide if they want to overthrow the slave owners and freely join the newly formed
slave government or start their own government. Freedom of choice which I believe is Libertarian.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Aster,

Just for the sake of accuracy of language, I am not "pro war," I am pro-intervention. As far as I am concerned, war is never an end in itself. On abortion, you may choose to see my view as the glass being half empty rather than half full, but I submit that it would be no less valid for you to look at it the other way. (For those unfamiliar with my stance on abortion, I want options like RU-486 and Plan B to be widely available over the counter, but would also prefer that late-term surgical abortions be prohibited.)

Love & liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

On Friday, August 25, 2006, at 02:28 PM, Lady Aster wrote (in part):

Dear Starchild;

Please expain in your own inimitable way as to what the difference is between "pro-war" (which you say you aren't) and "pro-intervention" which you say you are.

I personally have a problem distinguishing between the two especially as the results from either are same - killing - wounding - property destruction - death - - wrack and ruin - civlizations rendered - dead collaterl damage civilians and so on.....

Perhaps you can enlighten me and us on what's the difference between the two - in one thousand words or less - if possible.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

For Wine Mike and Derek and sensitive others when it comes to such topics as abortion please read no further or cover your eyes and peek between your fingers - if you dare. This is way to sensitive for you to read and will upset you and there is no need for that.

Starchild - in your prohibition on late term abortions - if some medically or physically sound reason was required beyond any shadow of a doubt for such based on the health of the mother or the mothers life - ( If I am correct the new born to be childs life comes first for Catholics then the mothers life - if wrong - my apologies) - or if there was no doubts whatsoever the child born would be seriously and I do mean seriously deformed or malformed and would die soon after birth and not very pleasantly ( I have seen pictures of new borns without a skull covering over the brain - from the forehead back was fully exposed brain to the top of the spinal cord at the neck vertabraes) would you exempt from the prohibition or in some other specific medically and physically situations as such exempt?