[SFBayCannabisCommunity] Kellogg's company terminates athlete's contract due to marijuana use

Dear Chris;

We all know what happens when people head Back East and forget their Far Far Far Wild West - Law Of the West - Frontier Justice Roots.

They become part of the Leiberman - Kennedy - Clinton Troika and liberalism prevails. Them Nor'Easters are Hell on Libertarian liberties. :slight_smile:

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

Ron Getty wrote:

We all know what happens when people head Back East and forget their
Far Far Far Wild West - Law Of the West - Frontier Justice Roots.

They become part of the Leiberman - Kennedy - Clinton Troika and
liberalism prevails. Them Nor'Easters are Hell on Libertarian
liberties. :slight_smile:

I challenge you to read my latest blog post[1] about a skateboarding
ordinance hearing (scroll down, paragraph 9) and consider how that would
have gone in San Francisco. (-:

~Chris

[1] <URL: http://nhseacoastliberty.wordpress.com/ >

Chris,

Nice blogging! I particularly enjoyed this observation: "I felt bad for the Councilors, briefly; the same culture of proclamations about which I was ranting in the preceding paragraph has come back to bite them in the form of the citizenry performing dog-and-pony shows for them, which they must pretend to enjoy."

A very minor point -- I'd suggest not referring to the flag as "THE colors" [emphasis added], as such terminology subtly serves to elevate one particular flag, or set of colors, over others. Unless of course you were referring to the New Hampshire flag in hopes of promoting secession. 8)

Your description of the discussion at the Portsmouth City Council meeting of the skateboarding ordinance is indeed heartening. But in defense of the "left coast," from what I can determine it would appear that the new standard of allowing skateboarding throughout Portsmouth except for the downtown business district is only now catching up to what is already the status quo in San Francisco. [Disclaimer -- It's possible the overall legal picture in Portsmouth is better with regard to skating -- California law does ban skateboarding in streets, and requires those under 18 to wear a helmet, although I believe the latter provision is rarely if ever enforced; it's not clear from what you've said whether the new Portsmouth law would allow skating on both streets and sidewalks, and without knowing more details of the laws relating to skating in both jurisdictions, it's difficult to say for sure which is less anti-liberty at present.]

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Starchild, Strict liability if a bike rider or skateboarder knocked me down and I broke something would be a good thing along with penalties for hit and runs.

Phil,

If someone knocks you down and it's their fault, yes, they should cover any medical expenses. I just don't support blanket laws against alternative non-government and non-polluting forms of health-enhancing transportation that should be encouraged.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

and shouldn't there be some compensation for a year of recovery, pain etc, especially if they were negligent, as I experience nearly every day. Many blind and handicapped folks simply stay homeour of fear. Not unreasonable given all the careless spaced out boarders and cyclists on the sidewalks, not to mention the ones on the streets who completely ignore pedestrians. I have near misses all the time that are very scary, and this is the safest city perhaps in the world. Howwould an anarcho capitalist society handle thisproblem???

Phil,

Any time you have people moving past each other on streets or sidewalks at a speed faster than that of a snail, accidents are bound to happen. Sometimes, as I noted in a recent message about the blame-oriented, lawyer-dominated society we inhabit, these accidents are just that -- accidents, which are nobody's fault. However, I think that comparing the frequency and severity of accidents caused by skateboarders and bicyclists, with the frequency and severity of accidents caused by motorists, is instructive. A pedestrian -- some of whom are also careless and spaced out -- is likely to fare better in a collision with a bicyclist or skateboarder, than is the latter in a collision with a car.

Many people also neglect to use alternative transportation out of fear. I know this due to the number of times I've been asked in a tone of curiosity, aren't I afraid to bicycle or (when I was using inline skates more often) skate in the city? If skaters and bicyclists are prohibited from riding on the sidewalks, accidents between them and cars become statistically more likely, no matter how much caution is exercised by skaters, cyclists, and drivers. Will the pedestrians for whose sake they were forced exclusively into the streets then cover their medical expenses and compensate for their recovery, pain, etc., especially if they were *not* negligent, as many who get hit are not?

We obviously have the right not to be *deliberately threatened*, but I don't think either the law or some alternative anarcho-capitalist arrangement can or should guarantee us the right not to be *scared*. How could such a guarantee be enforced, given the vastly different conditions that different people find scary? I think the best solution is more caution, awareness, courage, respect, and willingness to share the roads and sidewalks. Of course those who fear accidents always have the option of wearing more protective gear, too -- but unfortunately many people who would not hesitate to legally force all bicyclists and skaters to wear helmets, knee pads, lights, reflectors, and so on, would no doubt be outraged if anyone merely suggested that they purchase and use such gear to reduce their risk of injury as a pedestrian.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Philip Berg wrote:

How would an anarcho capitalist society handle this problem???

Your cane would have sharper edges. (-:

~Chris