SF Examiner Prints My Anti-Recycling LTE

Dear Everyone;

Yesterday the Examiner had an article on how the Board of Supervisors passed a resolution calling on Sacramento to revise the legislation calling for recycling of batteries. The City must pay as its part $1.5 million to set up separate pick ups just for batteries this effects every California city as well. The Supervisors want the legislation to have the manufacturers pay the recycling pick up costs for batteries.

I wrote an anti-recycling LTE pointing out how if recycling really worked the costs of recycling would be zero because it would pay for itself. And therefore recycling was a waste. Let market prices determine what people buy and recycle not what do-gooders and environmentalists and politicians demand people do.

The Examiner published with my Libertarian affiliation attached.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2006/02/21/opinion/20060221_op02_readers.txt

Ron Getty
  SF Libertarian

GOOD GOING RON!

In regards to batteries, recycling probably could pay for itself. A girl at
my daughter's school tested recharging discarded alkaline batteries for a
science project a few years ago. She wrote that the disposable batteries
lasted almost as long when recharged once, as they did when new!

Harland Harrison

Dear Harland;

Thanks on the LTE.

And the problem with the mandated recycling program is the batteries are going to a dump and not being re-charged for more usage or whatever. This is where the market comes into play.

While it is not the greatest analogy battery recycling should be like the good old days where you could collect empty GLASS soda pop bottles and take a batch of them down to Mr. Muirs grocery and get a whole 5 cents a bottle!!! Big Time money to be made there!!!

Battery recycling could use the same simile

Ron Getty
  SF Libertarian

Harland Harrison <harlandh5@...> wrote:
  GOOD GOING RON!

In regards to batteries, recycling probably could pay for itself. A girl at my daughter's school tested recharging discarded alkaline batteries for a science project a few years ago. She wrote that the disposable batteries lasted almost as long when recharged once, as they did when new!

Harland Harrison