SF Examiner AND SF Chronicle Publish My Two Different LTE's With Libertarian Affiliation

Dear Everyone;

A nice double whammy as both of todays papers published LTE's I wrote last week about issues of interest.

The SF Examiner reported how there would be 1,000 less SFUSD students and now the school board would look at school closings. This is right after the school board placed a $450 million bond issue on the ballot for school improvements. Excuse Me! I wrote an LTE about this and the SF Examiner published with affiliation.

SF Chronicle columnist Debra Saunders had an anti-Prop.90 column which is contrary to her usual norm in columns as being a little bit more right -winged Republican she is even against pot laws. I wrote why vote yes and the SF Chronicle published with Libertarian affiliation.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

http://www.examiner.com/a-357783~Letters__October_23__2006.html

The Examiner
Oct 23, 2006
More money for closing schools?
The declining San Francisco Unified School District enrollment [“Board members say more closures likely,” Oct. 20] begs the question of why the school board needs a $450 million school fixer-upper bond issue. A review of the bond notes the types of repairs needed but not the dollar amounts. A selectively appointed bond oversight committee engenders a boondoggle for politically wired contractors.
The decline in public students has happened over years. The SFUSD didn’t have the grit to close schools and use the funds saved to fix the remaining schools. Sell the closed school sites for mixed use residential/light commercial development and stop hitting taxpayers’ wallets.
With 60,000 students and a $450 million bond, bill the parents of each public school child $7,500 as their “progressive fair share” of maintaining public schools. If parents whose children attend private schools have to pay for facility upkeep so should public school parents.
Ron Getty
Chair, Initiatives Committee
Libertarian Party of San Francisco

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/23/EDG6PKDSQB1.DTL

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Monday, October 23, 2006

Yes on 90
Editor -- Debra J. Saunders is totally erroneous ("Prop. 90 ends one abuse, adds others," Oct. 19) when she says vote no on Proposition 90.
Proposition 90 is about property-right abuses by local and state governments through restrictive legislation or outright eminent-domain thievery for political payoffs to wired insiders. Proposition 90 demands compensation when the government abuses property rights. If people have problems with this, then blame Sacramento for not immediately passing anti-Kelo (case) legislation when it could have.
San Francisco has passed numerous laws and regulations governing private property. A law forbids hotel property owners from converting rooms to condos as a sop to the hotel- workers union. Forced property construction set asides are mandated for "affordable" housing. There's the outright political bribery of mandated community investments for multiunit condo projects' permit approval. It's time the pipers paid for the tunes they stole -- as there are no free lunches.
RON GETTY
Libertarian Party
San Francisco

Thanks and congratulations, as always, Ron, for the good work.

For future reference, you might be aware that "begging the question" is
a philosophical term that means "assuming what you are trying to prove."
It has been used so often by people ignorant of its meaning as a synonym
for "raising the question" that that is now what many people take it to
mean.

Way to go, Ron!

<<< starchild >>>
   Candidate for Supervisor, District 8

Dear Everyone;

A nice double whammy as both of todays papers published LTE's I wrote last week about issues of interest.

The SF Examiner reported how there would be 1,000 less SFUSD students and now the school board would look at school closings. This is right after the school board placed a $450 million bond issue on the ballot for school improvements. Excuse Me! I wrote an LTE about this and the SF Examiner published with affiliation.

SF Chronicle columnist Debra Saunders had an anti-Prop.90 column which is contrary to her usual norm in columns as being a little bit more right -winged Republican she is even against pot laws. I wrote why vote yes and the SF Chronicle published with Libertarian affiliation.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

http://www.examiner.com/a-357783~Letters__October_23__2006.html

The Examiner
Oct 23, 2006
More money for closing schools?

The declining San Francisco Unified School District enrollment [“Board members say more closures likely,” Oct. 20] begs the question of why the school board needs a $450 million school fixer-upper bond issue. A review of the bond notes the types of repairs needed but not the dollar amounts. A selectively appointed bond oversight committee engenders a boondoggle for politically wired contractors.

The decline in public students has happened over years. The SFUSD didn’t have the grit to close schools and use the funds saved to fix the remaining schools. Sell the closed school sites for mixed use residential/light commercial development and stop hitting taxpayers’ wallets.

With 60,000 students and a $450 million bond, bill the parents of each public school child $7,500 as their “progressive fair share” of maintaining public schools. If parents whose children attend private schools have to pay for facility upkeep so should public school parents.

Ron Getty

Libertarian Party of San Francisco

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/23/EDG6PKDSQB1.DTL

<image.tiff>