SF Bay Area Renters Federation speaker for January LPSF and GGLR meetings

I recently learned (after belatedly reading an article about them in the Oct. 2 Examiner) that there's a new political group in town actually advocating sound housing policy -- i.e. address the affordability issue by allowing more housing to be built.

According to the article, the group's founder, Sonja Trauss, is a recent transplant who moved here 3 years ago from Philadelphia. She's quoted as saying, among other things:

"Let's do an experiment -- let's restrict growth, let's spend 30 years not building to match the incoming residents. What happened? We have a rent crisis."

Trauss is, fittingly, a math teacher. :slight_smile:

The article notes the conventional wisdom is that any new housing "should be built for those who need it -- the middle and lower classes -- not the rich." But then it adds, "None of this makes a difference to Trauss. Her solution: Build as much housing as possible, as fast as possible, for all income levels and at heights and densities not currently allowed in many locations."

Music to the ears of anyone who cares about making living in SF more affordable and understands the law of supply and demand, and the historical fact that today's high income housing often becomes tomorrow's middle income or low income housing!

And SFBARF is apparently off to a heady start. They already have a website ( SFBARF.org ), Meetup group ( http://www.meetup.com/SF-Renters-Fed-Testify-for-density-at-Planning-Commission/ ), Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/BARentersFed ), and Google group ( sfbarentersfed <sfbarentersfed@...m> ). Since last Spring they've been organizing people to attend city hearings and give public comments in favor of development!

Anyway, I contacted Sonja via email and invited her to come to the Libertarian Party of San Francisco and Golden Gate Liberty r3VOLution meetings in January, and she responded very positively:

I would love to come to your January 10th meeting, and the January 19th Golden Gate Liberty r3VOLution meeting! I'm really excited you found me. I have been meaning to find the Libertarians in the area, as I think this is a fundamentally anarcho-libertarian project.

So come to one or both of these meetings in January (LPSF, 1/10/15 at the 4th floor community meeting room in the main library from 3-5pm, GGLR at 7pm at Moksha Life Center, 405 Sansome Street at Sacramento) to learn more about this exciting new local activism.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

I was glad to know about Sonia Trauss's desire, with her SFBARF group, to bring some Economics 101 principles to the SF housing "situation" (I avoided "market," for reasons stated below). I was also glad she agreed to speak at those two meeting"s. I only wish I could attend either or both.

Meanwhile, I like to present this article which presents a sobering reality to SF's housing situation and perhaps even "rain on Sonia's parade." Here's are excerpts from the article. See if any seem too close to home:

U cities

Here’s the idea: When you have a strong middle class, the population—when mapped on a curve—looks more or less like an inverted U (X is the number of people, Y is the level of income.) But the inverted U can get flipped to a regular U when, for example, the middle class starts to leave, the rich come and stay, and the poor are trapped by incentives. U cities predominate in the third world, primarily due to rampant cronyism—which limits possibilities for a middle class to emerge. In the United States cronyism is a factor, too. But so also are urban planning and growth management policies.

Smart growth

To understand how wealth disparities worsen in cities like these, we have to look at clusters of policies that go under the name "smart growth." They aren’t the only policies that create U cities, but these three areas drive the U city pattern, so they’re a good place to start the conversation:

* strict zoning regulations and building codes
* rent control and low-income housing subsidies
* ail investments preferred over roads

These three points alone suffice to set any city on the path to being a U city.

The full article, "Smart Growth?: U Cities vs. Galaxy Cities" by Max Borders, can be found here: http://fee.org/freeman/detail/smart-growth-u-cities-vs-galaxy-cities

Just from those excerpts, I think we can sadly agree that your beautiful city of San Francisco has not only been turned into a "U City," it is a gosh-darn "U City." And where Borders said the "poor are trapped by incentives," would it not be just as accurate to say that the poor, especially the homeless in SF, are "lured and maintained by incentives"? (NYC's Department of Homeless Services spends close to $1 billion per year to "serve the homeless." [Of course, not every penny goes to services--possibly seven cents out of every dollar does with the rest going to "overhead."] While SF--hopefully-- don't spend that much, I'll bet they spend as much as or more per homeless as NYC.)

BTW, does SF have clusters of "below-market housing," such as "The Projects" in New York? I should say that I usually cringe when I hear "below-market housing," especially when "housing advocates" talk about the lack of "affordable housing." When the government in New York City, and SF, for that matter, interfere with housing to such a large extant in ways mentioned in the above excerpts, how can we talk about "below-market housing" when there is no real housing market? With this in mind, how foolish, how silly, how stupid is it when people talk about "market rate housing"? What is the "market rate" when you have so much governmental interference in the housing market?

Before I get off my soapbox, I think Borders mentioned this in his article, but just in case he didn't, there is method in the U City madness. Those in power who create or favor U Cities, are usually the early arrivals who snapped up property at cheap prices. With no growth housing policies that cause U Cities, the property of these early arrivals are made exponentially more valuable. Hooray for U Cities and real estate speculation!

Time to get off my soapbox.

So, Starchild, in light of SF's "U City" status, which means no new, or very few housing will be built and "Welcome" signs only for the rich and poor, it seems Sonia has her job cut out for her.

Thanks for reading.

Alton

---In lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com, <sfdreamer@...> wrote :

I recently learned (after belatedly reading an article about them in the Oct. 2 Examiner) that there's a new political group in town actually advocating sound housing policy -- i.e. address the affordability issue by allowing more housing to be built.

According to the article, the group's founder, Sonja Trauss, is a recent transplant who moved here 3 years ago from Philadelphia. She's quoted as saying, among other things:

"Let's do an experiment -- let's restrict growth, let's spend 30 years not building to match the incoming residents. What happened? We have a rent crisis."

Trauss is, fittingly, a math teacher. :slight_smile:

The article notes the conventional wisdom is that any new housing "should be built for those who need it -- the middle and lower classes -- not the rich." But then it adds, "None of this makes a difference to Trauss. Her solution: Build as much housing as possible, as fast as possible, for all income levels and at heights and densities not currently allowed in many locations."

Music to the ears of anyone who cares about making living in SF more affordable and understands the law of supply and demand, and the historical fact that today's high income housing often becomes tomorrow's middle income or low income housing!

And SFBARF is apparently off to a heady start. They already have a website ( SFBARF.org ), Meetup group ( http://www.meetup.com/SF-Renters-Fed-Testify-for-density-at-Planning-Commission/ ), Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/BARentersFed ), and Google group ( sfbarentersfed <sfbarentersfed@… mailto:sfbarentersfed@…> ). Since last Spring they've been organizing people to attend city hearings and give public comments in favor of development!

Anyway, I contacted Sonja via email and invited her to come to the Libertarian Party of San Francisco and Golden Gate Liberty r3VOLution meetings in January, and she responded very positively:

> I would love to come to your January 10th meeting, and the January 19th Golden Gate Liberty r3VOLution meeting! I'm really excited you found me. I have been meaning to find the Libertarians in the area, as I think this is a fundamentally anarcho-libertarian project.

So come to one or both of these meetings in January (LPSF, 1/10/15 at the 4th floor community meeting room in the main library from 3-5pm, GGLR at 7pm at Moksha Life Center, 405 Sansome Street at Sacramento) to learn more about this exciting new local activism.

Love & Liberty,
((( starchild )))

Hi Alton,

Coincidentally, last night thanks to your having mentioned the article on U Cities a little while back, I decided to write a little blurb on the LPSF website about "affordable housing." In preparation, I read Mayor Ed Lee's "Housing for All" plan (that's what he calls it; you can't make this up) and some articles on the subject. I came away with the same conclusions as you did.

In a progressive-Democrat town like San Francisco, politicians would see U Cities as a benefit to them.
How can they go wrong with a U City: lots of property tax money from the right-hand side of the inverted U to fund as many giveaways as will keep the left-handed side voting for them. Trick is to keep the poor trapped in U Cities by way of incentives. Plans such as the Mayor's "Housing for All," which make no sense at all in the face of implacable economic forces, help shape the inverted U.

Here is an interesting take on housing ideas. Some of which I agree with; the conclusion I strongly disagree with: (1) In places like San Francisco, increased supply provided by the market will not satisfy demand or bring prices down, (2) prices can only be kept down with draconian (my word, not theirs) and aggressive measures such as rent control, prohibition of Ellis Act, eminent domain, subsidies, etc.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/26656-developers-aren-t-going-to-solve-the-housing-crisis-in-san-francisco-the-definitive-response-to-supply-side-solutionists

So, the article on the LPSF website www.lpsf.org is by no means an intellectual piece. It is more like an "We told you so" in reference to what we said when Proposition C The San Francisco Housing Trust was placed on the ballot in 2012.

Alton, you asked in a previous email where does the LPSF stand on activism. I believe you were comparing the benefits of bringing in guests at meetings by having speakers vs. focusing on planning and carrying out activism. The way I see it, we at LPSF are practicing the latter rather than the former. We usually do planning as well as review of activist actions we have taken. I think either strategy can be deemed successful if they translates into influencing the general public and bringing in donations to keep the lights on and/or fund events.

Marcy

Hi Marcy,

You said, partly:

<< Here is an interesting take on housing ideas. Some of which I agree with; the conclusion I strongly disagree with: (1) In places like San Francisco, increased supply provided by the market will not satisfy demand or bring prices down, >>

After I read that article, I absolutely agree with the conclusion you "strongly disagree with." Indeed, the main thrust of the article is to disprove or repeal the Law of Supply and Demand. For evidence, just look at this paragraph:

"It's a complicated issue and you just can't quote Adam Smith in your Economics 101 textbook to say that's going to solve the problem," said Doug Engmann, a venture capitalist and original member of the Pacific Stock Exchange. He's referring to laws of supply and demand, which dictate that price equilibrium will be reached when quantity demanded by consumers matches the quantity produced by suppliers. "You have to understand how they work in special situations and you have to look at the situation that we're in," Engmann said during an interview in his financial district office."

I wonder if Doug Engmann also wants to disprove or repeal the Law of Gravity. If so, I know a bridge which I'd like to sell him and which he can jump off of to see whether he successfully disproved or repeal the Law of Gravity. But, try as he (and the others quoted in the article) may, he certainly failed to disprove or repeal the Law of Supply and Demand. He did, however, provide ample excuses and specious reasons for furthering his underlying leftist agenda of providing "affordable housing."

This is also apparently the agenda of the authors of the article, Dyan Ruiz and Joseph Smooke, as can be seen in their lead-off sentence, "Affordability for working-class people in San Francisco isn't going to come from letting profit-driven developers have their way. " (Just this one sentence, with code words, "affordability," "working-class people" and "profit-driven," are tip-offs to their leftist agenda in housing.)

Anyhow, here are a couple of things in the article I found most irksome:

Meanwhile, 50 percent of San Francisco households are living on less than $74,000 per year and over 110,000 San Franciscans live below the poverty line.

Remember what I said about "U Cities," where government policies support a flourishing "poor population," as it drive away the middle class? Well, here's proof. I'd bet that there's at least 110,000 homeless that aren't included in those figures.

Here's a helpful tip to all who are concerned with those "impoverished" households who can't "afford" to live in SF without generous taxpayer benefits and subsidies: Send them all to ghost towns like Detroit, Buffalo, and Rochester, where housing could be bought at "extremely affordable" prices. Why, these people could own their very own homes, which is, after all, the dream of all Americans. Admittedly, some of those houses will be "fixer-uppers," but I'm certain people from Habitat for Humanity will be more than glad to help these new homeowners. Besides, current welfare, er, low income assistance shouldn't stop for these people; it should be continued to help "stimulate" the economies of Detroit, and elsewhere. And to further stimulate those economies, current SF public assistance workers could also relocate with the newly relocated recipients and continue to receive their pay and benefits.

Once these people are relocated, their former "residences" could be sold to the highest bidders which should fetch hundreds of billions of dollars. Indeed, just imagine how the entire Tenderloin district can be redeveloped with new housing, numbering into the the hundreds of thousands.

Speaking of which, another sentence I find irksome is:

Say San Francisco pushed to flood the housing market with over 100,000 units in just a few short years in an attempt to lower prices. At that point when prices start declining, external pressures are going to kick in.

First of all, "flooding the market" with 100,00 new units to "attempt to lower prices," is not free market, but economic planning, which every lefty advocate. But because people are clamoring to pay top dollar for SF housing, greedy maternal fornicating capitalist developers will do their utmost to cash in this seeming gold rush and build as much housing as they can. That will lead to greater supply, which in turn will lead lower prices as dictated by the Law of Supply and Demand and Economics 101. But that sentence actually led to further attempts to disprove the Law of Supply and Demand.

I sometimes explain to "housing advocates" the benefits of building new housing, even if it's only for the "rich." Thus, suppose if 100,000 new units "for the rich" (or whatever the "market clearing" number may be) are built. Who will occupy them? Certainly the rich from out of town. And also the rich who live in town, who will move from their current residences. They will then create vacancies for new residents, some of whom will make "lateral moves," in quality, from their current residences. while some might occupy these vacancies as "upgrades" from their current residences. They in turn will create more vacancies, which will be filled in this way down the line.

There will reach a point when these lateral moves or upgrades will slow. At which point, property owners will be faced with vacant units, but they still have fixed costs, such as mortgages, taxes, and insurance, to pay. What to do?

As with any business that have a surplus of unsold goods, what do they do? They have a SALE, of course. This always means lower prices!
Guess what? Property owners also have "sales" in the form of lower rents. With this "domino effect" caused by an increase of new housing being built (or provided, such as allowing "empty nesters" to lease their excess spaces, or allowing Airbnb type outfits to flourish), this is how "affordable" or less expensive housing can be created.

More supply = lower prices. It's really that simple.

And as for your second objection to the article, "(2) prices can only be kept down with draconian (my word, not theirs) and aggressive measures such as rent control, prohibition of Ellis Act, eminent domain, subsidies, etc."
After I read the closing proposals for providing "affordable housing," I came to the same conclusion.

Anyhow, Marcy, thanks for referring the article and for your insights and for reading my prattle.

I hope your meeting will go well. I'd like to know whether the speaker will also try to repeal the Law of Supply and Demand as it relates to "affordable housing."

Talk to you.

Alton