Sex Workers Outreach Project: 17 December

[Forwarded. If you're interested, please let me know, so I have an idea of how many LP folks will be there. -Chris, LPSF Chair]

For Immediate Release:
Media Contact: Candye Kane 760-967-0631

Sex Workers Outreach Project (SWOP-USA) Sponsors
International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers”
A Green River Memorial and Call to Action.

"Decriminalization of prostitution will stop sex workers from becoming easy prey for serial killers."

On July 30, 1998, My friend and fellow Musical Performer, San Diegan Robert "Tiny" Gibson was brutally murdered on Merritt Drive in El Cajon. "Tiny" as he was affectionately known by his friends, performed with me many times onstage at The House of Blues in Los Angeles, San Diego Gay Pride and many more venues. Tiny was stabbed 25 times after performing a sexual act with his murderer. His murderer claims that the shock of discovering that Robert was "really a male" drove him to murder. My life has been changed forever by losing my warm and wonderful friend in such a senseless, savage way. All life is fragile and should be viewed as sacred. Please join me in celebrating the life of Robert "Tiny" Gibson and in commemorating the lives of all sexworkers who have become needless victims.
- Candye Kane / Musician - Activist

The Ridgeway Killings

Gary Leon Ridgway was arrested November 30, 2001 as a suspect in the murders of four of the victims in the Green River killings. After nearly two years in custody, Ridgway finally confessed to the murders of 48 women. "I wanted to kill as many women I thought were prostitutes as I possibly could. I picked prostitutes as victims because they were easy to pick up without being noticed. I knew they would not be reported missing right away, and might never be reported. I picked prostitutes because I thought I could kill as many of them as I wanted without getting caught."

"It is unconscionable to think that Americans would continue to back laws that would allow murderers to violate prostitutes in this way. Sex workers should not continue to be treated as second-class citizens. Unequal protection under the law allows people to think and operate like the Green River killer. It is time for these laws to change," said Robyn Few, executive director of SWOP-USA.

"We are calling on sex workers and their supporters around the world to commemorate the stolen lives. We will be lighting one hundred candles to honor the known victims as well as the ones yet to be discovered, in a vigil at the state building in every community. State representatives have the power to make communities safer and re-direct scarce resources with the stroke of a pen. It is time we lobbied for the repeal of laws against sex workers. Call your elected state representatives and make an appointment. We need to decriminalize an occupation that has been around for thousands of years and is not going away, ever."

WHO: Sex Workers Outreach Project and sex workers around the world.

WHAT: International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers: A Green River Memorial and Call to Action. Event hosted by Musician and Activist Candye Kane.

WHERE: Balboa Park, The Southeast Corner of Laurel and 6the street.

WHEN: December 17, 2003 at 5pm with a moment of silence observed at 6pm local time.

WHY: Decriminalization of sex work will decrease crime and violence against women and sex workers.

BRING CANDLES, POETRY AND SONGS TO COMMEMORATE THE STOLEN LIVES OF THOSE MURDERED IN SEATTLE, SAN DIEGO AND AROUND THE WORLD.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

[Forwarded. If you're interested, please let me know, so I have an idea of
how many LP folks will be there. -Chris, LPSF Chair]

"There", in San Francisco, is Civic Center Plaza. As someone helpfully
pointed out, Balboa Park is in San Diego. d-:

It will still be at 5 pm on 17 December, followed by a reception at
Supervisor Tom Ammiano's office.

~Chris
- --
Christopher R. Maden, Chair, Libertarian Party of San Francisco
The Party of Principle: individual freedom and personal responsibility