RE: [lpsf-discuss] 38) Repeating Marx's mistakes

Those determinations aren't my specialty.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Mike, I believe the next step is that you are supposed to go out and hire someone to make the determinations, no?

In all seriousness, it is a worthy and thought-provoking article, but I think it has its limitations. Jim writes as if people are logical machines, rather than individuals subject to experiencing feelings of pleasure, boredom, love, etc. He does not address the positive and motivating effects of the camaraderie that results when *a whole group* pitches in to stuff envelopes, or the burn-out that may well result if you obsessively focus on doing only what you are best at. Nor, tellingly, does he say anything about the need for tact when trying to redirect the labor of people perceived as having negative or minimal value contributions.

If you try your hand at several different things, you may keep yourself happier and less bored, and therefore more motivated to continue working for liberty. Furthermore, what you are good at doing today may not be the same as what you are good at doing tomorrow. By trying something new, you may develop new skills, or discover something you are good at and enjoy doing. And by being happy, you contribute more positive value than by being unhappy. Who wants to join a movement full of unhappy people, or even support their labor? People don't tend to like buying stuff made in sweatshops.

Yours in liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

Those determinations aren't my specialty.

<image.tiff>

From: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ron Getty
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:05 PM
To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] 38) Repeating Marx's mistakes

Dear Mike;

Great article - now who are the negative activists the article says we are supposed to dump to improve our positive values and negate our negative values or some such thing as we divide up our productive labor???

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

"Acree, Michael" <acreem@...> wrote:

This essay is not what is sounds like, but an interesting argument about libertarian activism.
Institute for Liberal Values
by Jim Peron
"One of the worst economic fallacies around is the labour theory of
value. Yet, libertarians, who pride themselves as having some
understanding of the field, often advocate a labour of theory of value
themselves. Nor is it the only Marxian fallacy adopted by
libertarians. But it is a good one with which to start." (03/22/06)
http://www.ilv.org.nz/index.php?action=view_journal&journal_id=207

<image.tiff>

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

+ Visit your group "lpsf-discuss" on the web.

+ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
lpsf-discuss-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

+ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

<image.tiff>