RE: [lpsf-activists] Update on Ballot Measures & Agenda for This Saturday [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from francoise@thefieldingcompanies.com included below]

Hi All:

I won’t be able to attend this Saturday’s meeting but I did try my hand at an argument against the tax on sugary beverages as Aubrey suggested and am passing my draft along. (See attachment)

I have no pride of authorship so feel free to change anything you like. It is hardly a finished product and in any event the word count is 307 (a little over the allowable limit I believe).

Françoise

Subject: Re: [lpsf-activists] Update on Ballot Measures & Agenda for
This Saturday
From: “Aubrey Freedman aubreyfreedman@yahoo.com [lpsf-activists]”
<lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, August 05, 2014 12:16 am
To: “lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com” <lpsf-activists@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Les and All. By the way, I forgot to mention that some of the final digests from the Ballot Simplification Committee are now up. Here’s the one on the Minimum Wage: http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=4411 Interestingly enough, it looks like it doesn’t apply to that many people after all, which is a good thing. If I’m reading the digest correctly, only 2 classes of government workers would see the increases promised by this ordinance, not anyone in the private sector. This is not what I expected until I looked at this digest.

By the way, I will be writing ballot measure arguments against the $500 million transportation bond and the Affordable Housing Goals declaration of policy, and I will bring my rough drafts (if not final versions) to our meeting on Saturday. I can’t believe no one picked the tax on sugary beverages–that would be a sure thing for Libertarians to oppose. Please think about it.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Les. Great to hear that.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Yes, I am working on an argument against the minimum wage.

Les

Hi All. Here is the agenda for our August meeting this Saturday. We will see where we stand on these measures and figure out what measures we’re submitting arguments on. So far, the only firm commitment is by Jawj against the new transfer tax on property sales. Les, you were interested in the minimum wage issue earlier and since it has reared its ugly head again, do you want that one? The two competing measures on “affordable housing” by the more left-leaning supervisors and Mayor Lee have now morphed into a declaration of policy, not an ordinance, called “Affordable Housing Goals,” which is very similar to Lee’s proposed “Build Housing Now.” Since it’s past the August 1 deadline now for any new ballot measures, I think it’s safe to work with the current list of final measures: http://sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=2969 Please advise which ballot measures you are interested in writing an argument on.

Libertarian Party of San Francisco Agenda: Saturday, August 9, 2014

Meeting Location: San Francisco Main Library – 4th Floor Conference Room

1. Welcome – Introductions 3:05-3:15

2. Activist Reports – Past & Future 3:16-3:30

3. Announcements 3:31-3:45

4. Membership Report 3:46-3:50

5. Website Report 3:51-3:55

6. Treasurer’s & Campaign Committee Reports 3:56-4:00

7. Eminent Domain Resolution/Ordinance Update 4:01-4:05

8. Gun Show September 13-14 4:06-4:10

9. November Election Ballot Measures 4:11-5:00

Thanks!
Aubrey

Attachment(s) from francoise@thefieldingcompanies.com | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 File(s)

Soda Tax.docx

Posted by: francoise@thefieldingcompanies.com

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups
PrivacyUnsubscribeTerms of Use

Hi Francoise. Thanks for the argument--I like it, especially the comment about the frappuccinos. As long as you don't mind, if I have time after I finish the two measures I committed to writing, I may tinker slightly. I had some communication not long ago with a nutrition lady from Arizona about the beverage tax, so I may comb her website for an additional fact or two to squeeze in your argument.

Will miss you Saturday and thanks for coming through for us.

Thanks!
Aubrey

[Attachment(s) from francoise@thefieldingcompanies.com included below]
Hi All:

I won't be able to attend this Saturday's meeting but I did try my hand at an argument against the tax on sugary beverages as Aubrey suggested and am passing my draft along. (See attachment)

I have no pride of authorship so feel free to change anything you like. It is hardly a finished product and in any event the word count is 307 (a little over the allowable limit I believe).

Françoise