RE: Fwd: Why not attend an LPCA convention?

Hi Gail;
I’ve been p----d at the Libertarian Party of CA for all the reasons you mention and then some. The straw that broke the camel’s back for me was their holding the CA State Convention this year out of state. I didn’t renew my membership although that means that I am no longer a voting member of the LPSF to which I still feel a lot of attachment. I’ve also had it with National. It make me sad to see it come to this but at some point belonging to the Party is a waste of time and effort. We can still be small L libertarians and vote and take action in the direction of our beliefs without party membership.
Francoise

Subject: Fwd: Why not attend an LPCA convention?
Date: Sun, April 10, 2011 3:47 pm
To: GkLtft@aol.com

To: GkLtft@aol.com
Sent: 4/8/2011 4:14:12 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Fwd: Why not attend an LPCA convention?

Gail, please forward my response to those you sent the message to originally.

Gail makes good sense. It seems the party is falling into the same abyss the Republican, Democrats and Federal Government have fallen into. Bigger would be great for the party but over-regulation/too many bylaws is where the others have failed. Why aren’t we focussing on one issue that would affect every American: flat income tax with no deductions?

That would allow the American people to be out of the control of an overspending government. We would then be able to hold the governments (federal and state) accountable to a budget. What they get from the flat income tax is all they would get.

I agee the federal government should be held to its definition in the Consitution, and the States to control intrastate affairs.

I don’t see that these issues are spoken to at the convention. Too much time is spent on bylaws rather than prioritizing the issues for which the original party members founded the party. Take the tax issue and hammer it into the public the value of a flat tax so they will each tell their representatives how they should vote both at the Federal and State levels.

WE are a small party but WE can start a ground swell for a grass roots effort to make significant change. I don’t want a Tea Party I want real change.

Linda

To: GkLtft <GkLtft@aol.com>
Sent: Wed, Apr 6, 2011 6:22 pm
Subject: Why not attend an LPCA convention?

This is an open letter to the LPC XC listing my reasons for not attending a convention since the LPC went to Sea.

1. Changing and inconsistent dates prevent advance planning.
  2. Locations are out of the way for air, train and bus.
  3. Locations isolated so you must stay at the hotel and cannot use a less expensive lodging.
  4. Having to pay a hefty fee to vote as a Delegate.
  5. Allowing and encouraging even the newest members to be Delegates over the time honored [by all political parties] of having Delegates represent a county [or region] so they have been ‘vetted’ as being familiar with LPC history, Bylaws and Platform prior to serving as a Delegate.

All of these insult long time party members, activists and candidates such that they see no need to waste time watching the LPC dissolve into nothingness.

If we do not provide a political home for the radicals for Liberty, we have no reason to exist.

If we do not reward the hard work of our activists and candidates, they will soon give up the battle for more productive means of getting out from under too much ‘other gov’t’.

Liberty,
gail lightfoot
PS: I just read some dialogue from a Blog that discussed several other issues related to conventions. I must agree that we should not need a long list of Bylaw changes year in and year out. gkl

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:

MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

I regrettably have to agree. LP CA spends most of its time with what we call in Spanish "chismes" (should a pedophile serve as Chair? can we keep someone out if we use this bylaw?). Thus, as long as LPSF does not go that same sorry road, I will ignore LP CA (and LP National, for that matter), and focus on the stuff that needs focusing -- lunatic ballot propositions (should we ban circumcision in S.F.?), out of control government pensions (Jeff Adachi is trying again for the November elections), etc. etc. etc.

Francoise, there is plenty to do locally. Might you reconsider your position.

Regards,

Marcy

I have let my LPC membership lapse (got my postcard from Beau saying so
today), but I'll be happy to continue supporting LPSF with donations, NOT
memberships (because I don't want 40% of my money going to the GOP wannabes
who run the LPC). I encourage everyone who is fed up with the LPC and/or LP
National to keep contributing DONATIONS to LPSF since that organization
still represents the Libertarian Party and isn't some GOP shadow
organization. Since we're hamstrung by the way California organizes
political parties, we're stuck with LPC's bylaws dictating how we elect our
officers, so I recommend that anyone wanting to become an LPSF officer pay
their $25/yr LPC membership so they can vote themselves into office at the
annual elections, but that anyone else refrain from doing so, instead giving
that money directly to LPSF as a clearly-marked donation, not membership.
It's not like we ever have votes at non-officer-election LPSF meetings
anyway, right? :slight_smile:

Fair enough, Rob. I understand your frustration. But, as everyone knows, I am conflict averse, preferring to focus on stuff I have a chance to help fix (The City's political mess!). Picking a fight with LP CA, or anyone else, in my opinion, simply sucks up energy away from my focus.

Marcy

There are evidently some fairly deep forces at work here, which would be worth figuring out. I recall Steve Alexander standing up to say in frustration at an LPC convention in 1989 (I think it was), "We're going to end up with the best by-laws in the gulag."

The point I was trying to make with that story is that the obsession with by-laws is not a recent phenomenon. 1989 was my first convention as a delegate (alternate), but I'm not sure there was ever a time when Steve's remark would not have been apropos. So if the problem was "just plain confused folk," there are an awful lot of them, spanning a couple of generations.

On the other hand, it might well be a mistake to suppose that the explanation necessarily had something to do with libertarians. Piaget said he once observed a group of 9-year-old boys spending half an hour or so electing a president and drawing up rules--for the purpose of throwing snowballs at each other. Maybe what's wrong with the world is that children keep imitating their elders. Or vice versa. We're all playing politics. Of course, that may be just as well, if politics is really playing war, which is what everybody really wants to be doing.