RE: [Freed-M] Re: [lpsf-discuss] Why We Should Abolish the Presidency

Here's some thinking outside the box :
"Be the government, then it does what you want"

It's food for thought. Meant to stimulate thinking outside the box.

If what you're getting at is "Be the change you want to see in the world", I agree (i.e. act to limit government, both from without and when possible from within). But the "be the government, then it does what you want" phrasing sounds too much like "It's good to be king." Being the ones in control is just what members of the Demopublican establishment are after – always striving for the Rings of Power.

As far as I'm concerned, any candidate showing signs of power addiction or unhealthy levels of desire for power should be disqualified (by voters making their individual choices, not by law) from holding office on the basis of not being of sound mind and body.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Exactly. Anyone who actively campaigns for a position of political power should be automatically disqualified. I mean that quite literally.

In my perfect system campaigning for office would be forbidden, thus also doing away with campaign contributions, all elections would be local, and every non-criminal adult citizen in the precinct would be either literally be on the ballot or eligible to be written in.

Nina

I like the idea of all local elections where everyone is on the ballot Nina (I would include criminals too – otherwise it opens the door to people being unjustly criminalized and thus disenfranchised by those in power). But I don't think the ban on campaigning is such a good idea. That means restricting free speech, and giving power to government officials who will decide what constitutes campaigning – a recipe for trouble.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Starchild,

Regarding campaigning I remain utterly convinced that anyone who seeks power shouldn't be trusted with it. I am not against free speech, just power seeking.

Nina

I agree with you on the basic principle of not trusting those who seek power, it's just that a law would not be a good means of implementing it, imho. Campaigning is not readily distinguishable from free speech – indeed this is a major problem with current efforts to restrict campaign financing.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))