RE: Bitcoin and the Cypherpunks

Thanks for the post, Michael! Very good points on the Reason article. Unfortunately for promising businesses like Steve's, 1) the drug dealers have totally taken over any non-regulated, peer-to-peer platform. 2) buyers might be as wary of sellers as they are of government intrusion, given that tracking your purchases and interests by on-line sellers is overwhelming.

Marcy

Yes... but "totally taken over" makes it sound like a hostile invasion. Let's say rather that sellers of banned substances are fleeing to non-regulated peer-to-peer platforms by government policies, kind of like how other businesses flee California as a consequence of less onerous government policies. People trying to make a peaceful living selling drugs are not the bad guys.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild ))))

Sounds good, but the technocrats don't want just anybody in at the ground floor levels: are super exclusive; while even in clientele they market to.
So, I figure: do I remain beholden to the monetary system or be a forever at rhe bottom's level bitcoin bitc...?

No, not bad guys at all. Just that folks not involved in either selling or using drugs want nothing to do with sites that have been taken over by drug dealers. I personally would much rather see Steve's Bitmarket platform thrive by selling all sorts of stuff the majority of the population wants. BTW I was just agreeing with one of the points made by the Reason article.

Marcy

Good point, Eric! But I think that the exclusion comes more from the nature of the market than any purposeful effort by "technocrats." For example, even though I have been reading about Bitcoin for several years now, I still don't feel knowledgeable or comfortable enough to get into that market. So I have self-excluded myself. Also, people like Steve who are trying to get a business off the ground, would tend to market to other techies, leaving folks like you and me, who are unlikely to jump in, out of the loop.

Marcy

"All sorts of stuff the majority of the population wants" -- cheap generic prescription meds without the hassle of getting a doctor's note? :slight_smile:

Love & Liberty,
                              ((( starchild )))

Maybe in the future, pot users (whether they choose to call themselves "patients" or not) will not scare away buyers of all other products. However, right now, according to one of the points of the Reason article, that is not the case.

My viewpoint is somewhat negative on this subject at present. I am getting soooooooooooo tired of getting what amounts to free pot ads on the LPSF and my one Facebook page. Hopefully, our Facebook page will not become the next Pot Sales Page. Well, not really, it will not!

Marcy

...and legal, too!:smiling_imp: