Re: Appeal Filed re: Election Contests

Sorry to hear this Chris, but thanks for your efforts. And shame on judge Healy for protecting the misuse of government power, even if it was predictable! Where does the case go now? Any schedule for filing amicus (“friend of the court”) briefs?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

···

On Jun 22, 2023, at 3:39 PM, Chris Robell chris_robell@yahoo.com wrote:

Press Release - For immediate release

Contact: Christopher Robell (650) 245-7395 chris_robell@yahoo.com https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/430715737767438980/6331242907808095074#

Blog: ballotlabel.blogspot.com https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/430715737767438980/6331242907808095074#
June 22, 2023

Appeal Filed to Invalidate Local School Bond Election Contests

Redwood City resident Christopher Robell has filed an appeal to overturn the lower court decision pertaining to two local school bonds*.

After a three hour trial on April 18th, Judge Nicole Healy subsequently ruled on May 9th in favor of County Counsel. Robell was not surprised by the decision given the judge’s tone and bias.

This case, vitally important to ensure fair elections, is really about a key Constitutional issue: ensuring the government does not use public money to influence an election.

There is no appellate court case that has ruled on this kind of situation where the government used the ballot question to sway election results.

Robell welcomes anyone interested and willing to file amicus briefs as part of this appeal.

————

• Redwood City Elementary School District’s $298 million bond (Measure S) and Sequoia Union High School District’s $591 million bond (Measure W). The election challenge was initiated as a result of the ballot labels (the 75 word question that voters see as they vote) that do not comply with mandatory statutes nor the California Constitution.

Next step (now that I have already filed the appeal):

I expect to hear from the Appellate Court in SF in the next two weeks with some detail (likely the name of the judge) and requesting court records from the lower court proceeding.

I don’t have any specific timeframes for amicus briefs, although I’ve heard from the clerk that it takes about 20-22 months to get a ruling from the appellate court. So there is time, and I’ll let you know as soon as I hear.

It would be WONDERFUL if the Libertarian party would write an amicus brief (or anyone else you may know).

It is obviously up to us to keep elections fair and stop the government from using public money to influence elections.

Chris

···

On Jun 22, 2023, at 6:46 PM, Starchild sfdreamer@earthlink.net wrote:

Sorry to hear this Chris, but thanks for your efforts. And shame on judge Healy for protecting the misuse of government power, even if it was predictable! Where does the case go now? Any schedule for filing amicus (“friend of the court”) briefs?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

On Jun 22, 2023, at 3:39 PM, Chris Robell <chris_robell@yahoo.com mailto:chris_robell@yahoo.com> wrote:

Press Release - For immediate release

Contact: Christopher Robell (650) 245-7395 chris_robell@yahoo.com https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/430715737767438980/6331242907808095074#

Blog: ballotlabel.blogspot.com https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/430715737767438980/6331242907808095074#
June 22, 2023

Appeal Filed to Invalidate Local School Bond Election Contests

Redwood City resident Christopher Robell has filed an appeal to overturn the lower court decision pertaining to two local school bonds*.

After a three hour trial on April 18th, Judge Nicole Healy subsequently ruled on May 9th in favor of County Counsel. Robell was not surprised by the decision given the judge’s tone and bias.

This case, vitally important to ensure fair elections, is really about a key Constitutional issue: ensuring the government does not use public money to influence an election.

There is no appellate court case that has ruled on this kind of situation where the government used the ballot question to sway election results.

Robell welcomes anyone interested and willing to file amicus briefs as part of this appeal.

————

• Redwood City Elementary School District’s $298 million bond (Measure S) and Sequoia Union High School District’s $591 million bond (Measure W). The election challenge was initiated as a result of the ballot labels (the 75 word question that voters see as they vote) that do not comply with mandatory statutes nor the California Constitution.