NYTimes.com: The Reign of Recycling

Remarkable for the source.

###### Opinion# The Reign of Recycling###### By JOHN TIERNEY

It’s still costly and inefficient. So why do we keep doing it?

Or, copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://nyti.ms/1Vvq8Cf
To get unlimited access to all New York Times articles, subscribe today. See Subscription Options.

To ensure delivery to your inbox, please add nytdirect@nytimes.com to your address book.
Advertisement

Copyright 2015 | The New York Times Company | NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

Posted by: michael.acree emailthis@ms3.lga2.nytimes.com

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups
PrivacyUnsubscribeTerms of Use

Ha! Pretty interesting to see some actual numbers. Why do politicians keep increasing the recycling demands (Zero Waste program in San Francisco)? Because they love to boss people around!

In spite of that, recycling paper and aluminum, as the article indicates, is effective and economical. Other things maybe could be economical -- at our house we have been buying door mats made out of recycled tires for years -- since some of us are willing to pay a little more for products made out of recycled materials because we just don't like "waste." We don't like taxes either, such as the "garbage" taxes the article suggests.

I am not, BTW, suggesting LPSF support the City's Zero Waste program. The article is correct that the bureaucracy and garbage police that goes along with these programs cannot be good. But, encouraging voluntary recycling and purchase of products made of recycled materials might be a plan for those of us who are always on the lookout for new uses for discarded stuff. A couple of days ago I brought home one of the frames on a bookcase someone had discarded, painted it, and the nice frame is in our backyard serving as somewhere to hang clothes to drip dry. It's a mindset, I think.

Marcy

I think John Tierney is the New York Times' token libertarian (or libertarian-leaning) columnist, and not representative of the rest of the paper.

At the Recology (the city's monopoly garbage/recycling contractor) booth at the Castro Street Fair, they were giving away various stickers including one warning that "It is illegal to steal recycling" and you can be fined up to $2,000. Trying to spread the fiction that residents are deliberately transferring ownership of the recyclables to Recology when they put them in their bins, rather than simply trying to get rid of them!

I've personally taken the exact opposite approach. When I have bottles and stuff that I believe are high-value recycling items, I set them aside and give them to people I see on the streets collecting recyclables instead of putting them in the bin. I'd much rather support independent entrepreneurs than the Recology monopoly!

Like you Marcy, I've also found and taken home all kinds of cool and reusable stuff discarded on the streets! A bicycle, one time, when Aubrey and I were out canvassing.

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))