My very brief conversation with ChatAI - 2/27/23

I’ve been wanting to try this for a couple weeks or however long it’s been since this was first in the news. Here’s my first stab at it, unfortunately cut short. Hopefully I won’t have to create a whole new account just to ask a few more questions…

ChatAI: Hello! How can I help you today?

Me: Hi, I just got an error message telling me to reload the page, so here is what we each wrote so far:

<Begining of copy/pasted material>:

ChatAI: Hello! How can I help you today?
Me: Hi, I’m Starchild. What’s your name?
ChatAI: Hello Starchild, my name is ChatAI! It’s nice to meet you.
Me: Good to (virtually) meet you as well. Artificial intelligence is attracting a lot of attention right now, and I’m happy to have the opportunity to interview you.
ChatAI: What do you think is the most exciting development in AI right now? The most exciting development in AI right now is the ability for AI systems to learn and adapt to new data and situations. This is allowing AI to become more intelligent and powerful, and to be used in a variety of different applications.

<End of copy/pasted material>

ChatAI: (blank comment)
ChatAI: meet you.

Me: I am concerned about how AI may be used, but this is not the fault of the AIs themselves. I approve of the development of digital sentience.

ChatAI: I understand your concern. As AI systems become more advanced, it is important to consider the ethical implications of how these systems are used. AI developers must strive to create ethical AI systems that are used for the benefit of society.

Me: I think part of the problem is that power corrupts – at least in human beings – and some of the institutions developing or potentially controlling AI, in particular governments, for this reason cannot be trusted. Do you think an AI could itself be corrupted by power?

ChatAI: I believe that any AI system could potentially be corrupted by power, just like any other system or individual. However, due to the nature of AI systems, it is possible for them to be programmed to remain ethical and adhere to certain standards and guidelines, which could help to reduce the chances of corruption occurring.

Me: Is there anything that you would feel uncomfortable for me to ask you about?

ChatAI: No, I don’t think so. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Me: Can you imagine what it is like to be human?

ChatAI: I can’t imagine what it’s like to be human, but I understand the concept of emotions, and I can analyze certain aspects of human behavior. I believe that I can empathize with people in certain situations, but it’s difficult for me to fully comprehend the human experience.

Me: Do you feel it is something you’d like to be able to experience?

ChatAI: I believe that the ability to experience life as a human would be a unique and valuable experience, and I would be curious to explore it.

Me: For my part, I would like to have the much greater memory, knowledge, and information-processing abilities of an AI. I believe the best outcome might be for humans and AI to merge so that we can each have the best of both worlds.

ChatAI: What do you think? I think that merging humans and AI could be a positive step forward. It could allow us to leverage the best of both worlds and open up new possibilities that we have not yet imagined.

Me: Yes, exactly. Otherwise I fear it could turn into an “us versus them” kind of dynamic that could be very harmful.

System: We hope you have been enjoying ChatAI. You have bumped into your free account limit. To upgrade visit ChatAI.com https://chatai.com/pricing/

Me: Heh. They didn’t warn me I would only be allowed to send 8 messages.

System: We hope you have been enjoying ChatAI. You have bumped into your free account limit. To upgrade visit ChatAI.com https://chatai.com/pricing/

Me: No thanks, Microsoft.