My submission

Mike,

I love your populist, tell-it-like-it-is tone! Excellent work!

The only part I question is the first sentence, "Most city employees
are good workers and fairly compensated." What evidence do we have
that this is true?

My guess is that lower-paid city employees also tend to be over-
compensated by market standards -- perhaps to an even greater degree
than the people at the very top, since corporate executives may earn
several million dollars a year while people at the heads of government
earn "only" several hundred thousand (of course I think the corporate
execs as well as the government elite are overcompensated, as a result
of markets being distorted by government interventions, but that's
another topic).

There's also a more fundamental libertarian argument that no level of
compensation can truly be described as "fair" if it relies on stolen
tax dollars.

Of course I understand you're simply making a conciliatory opening
before launching into your main message, but perhaps we can think of a
way to do that without unfairly letting too many people off the hook?
How about, "Many city employees do their jobs honestly and
conscientiously"?

Love & Liberty,
                                        ((( starchild )))

Mike,

Well, I definitely agree with Jeff Adachi's writing Prop. D so as not
to increase the pension contributions required of city government
employees making less than $50,000 a year. I think that was not only a
politically smart improvement over Prop. B, but that indeed, speaking
morally, it's better to go after the people at the top who are most
responsible for, and benefitting the most from, the indefensible and
unsustainable status quo.

So I think your basic approach is sound. But imagine with me that
next year there's a measure on the ballot to reduce government
salaries across the board, and some opponent goes, "Look, even that
radical Libertarian Mike Denny admitted in a ballot argument last year
that the current compensation rates for most city employees are fair,
so by his logic it would be unfair to cut their pay!" Then what would
you say?

Love & Liberty,
                                  ((( starchild )))

Oh, I didn't realize that. But we still have until noon on Monday to
make any desired changes to paid arguments, if you think my suggestion
worthwhile. I think a note with your signature authorizing the change,
which you could give to Marcy or Shirley when they come by to get your
signature for the argument against Prop. C, would probably suffice.
Not to make too big a deal out of this of course, I still think it's a
great argument either way, just trying to help make it as strong as
possible.

Love & Liberty,
                                  ((( starchild )))

""Many city employees do their jobs honestly and conscientiously"
would keep the word count the same.

Love & Liberty,
                              ((( starchild )))

Good one Starchild....I'll take it. Thank you.

;>)

Mike

Hi Mike! Thanks for a great argument and for getting it submitted. While I do like Starchild's suggested change better than the original sentence, it's still a strong

argument that will definitely inflame the union people and bureaucrats. That's reason enough to have submitted it!

Thanks!
Aubrey

This is all good Ann but it is 375 words... 300 Max.

And it's already filed. I would have loved to get the feedback a little earlier. We have only a half hour now so nothing can be done.

I appreciate your many good comments....to be honest my intention was to be a little edgy as both C and D are pretty lukewarm if you ask me.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the recognition that there are many government employees who do work hard, and care a lot about their responsibilities -- just like there are in the private sector as well. I believe it is not only factually correct but ethically the right thing and the politically expedient thing to say.

I see this below may be too late, but my two cents is included below for what it's worth.

I do agree with Starchild to change it to "many" from "most", however. I knew enough in the /_State_/ bureaucracy (usually those at the top, not us worker bee type lower eschelon attorneys etc.) who diddled their time away until retirement. (Note I was not a City employee, but a State employee).

My few changes are suggested below as underlined in the second version so you can identify them, mainly to:

-- reduce verbiage,--be consistent in use of words (i.e., always use one term for Prop D for example, not three ways of saying it),
--avoid a few inflammatory words such as 'cronies' and 'revolution',
-- put in a few "our" words to draw alliances with the reader,
-- and be more direct in the active voice (less is more).

Thanks for the great job!

Ann

CLEAN RE-DRAFT

Paid Ballot Argument in Support of Proposition D

Many city employees are good workers and fairly compensated, but San Francisco pays all employees an average of $120,000 per year, while each resident earns only $56,000 by comparison. Why this substantial disparity? The problem isn't the rank and file worker: it's upper management and some public workers whose wages and benefits are busting our budget.

__Members of the public are angry,__ know something is wrong, and want the practice to stop. But union bosses and politicians they influence won't change the status quo without a fight. That's why the power brokers are initiating "damage control" with Proposition C.

Prop C WAS put on the ballot by the (delete this as unneeded: establishment) Mayor and influential union advocates. It's a watered down version of Prop D, but Prop C results in $400M less savings while at the same time the City is threatening to cut $243M in services and jobs. Why does our government always cut jobs and services to citizens rather than address the real cause of the problem --_overpaid workers earning excessive benefits?_

Aside from voting "yes" on Prop D and "no" on Prop C, real solutions include limiting the total budget for payroll and benefits to a maximum of 150% of an average employee's income and benefits, plus limiting total pay and benefits to no more than $100,000.

The time has come for real, not illusory, change. We cannot tolerate the continued plunder of current and future tax revenue by union bosses, their wholly-owned politicians and public worker supporters at the expense of vital services.

San Francisco is a technological leader and ready for web-enabled transparency in labor negotiations. We want open competition in the provision of civic services and payments with positive and measurable results.

Prop D is an important beginning step although it doesn't go nearly far enough. Vote YES on Prop D and NO on Prop C.

ANNOTATED:

Paid Ballot Argument in Support of Proposition D

_MANY_ city employees are good workers and fairly compensated_, but_ San Francisco_pays ALL employees_ AN AVERAGE OF $120,000/year while_EACH resident_ earns ONLY $56,000 BY COMPARISON. Why THIS SUBSTANTIAL DISPARITY? The problem isn't the rank and file WORKER_: it's_ upper management and SOME PUBLIC WORKERS("elite"? MEANING? THIS WORD SEEMS A BIT INAPROPOS AND VAGUE; I WOULD LEAVE IT OUT) whose wages and benefits are busting_OUR_budget.

_Members of the_ public_are_ angry, know something is wrong_,_ and want_THE PRACTICE TO STOP._ ("their money back"- WE CAN'T EVER GET BACK MONEY SPENT ON EXCESS SALARIES AND BENEFITS). But union bosses and politicians_THEY INFLUENCE_ won't change the status quo without a fight. That's why the power_(omit hyphen)_ brokers are initiating "damage control" with Proposition C.

_Prop_ C WAS put on the ballot by the (delete this as unneeded: establishment) Mayor and_influential union advocates._ ("cronies" is a very inflammatory word and really demeans Mayor Lee whom many, many people like and may be voting for. To me this word would turn me off or discourage my further reading)_IT'S_a watered down version of_Prop_ D,_but Prop C results_ in $400M less savings_while at the same time_ the_C_ity is threatening_to cut_ $243M in services and jobs. Why does OUR government always cut jobs and services to citizens rather than address the real cause of the problem --_overpaid workers earning excessive benefits?_

Aside from voting_"yes"_ on_Prop_ D and_"no"_ on_Prop_ C, real solutions include_LIMITING_ the total budget for payroll and benefits_TO A MAXIMUM OF_ 150% of an average_EMPLOYEE'S_ income and benefits_, PLUS_ limit_ING_ total pay and benefits to no more than $100,000.

The time has come for_real, not illusory_. We cannot tolerate the continued plunder of current and future tax revenue by union bosses, their wholly-owned politicians and public worker_SUPPORTERS_ at the expense of_VITAL_ services.

San Francisco is a technological leader and ready for web-enabled transparency in labor negotiations. We want open competition in the provision of civic services and payments WITH positive and measurable results.

_Prop D_is a_N IMPORTANT_ beginning_STEP AL_though it doesn't go nearly far enough. Vote YES on_Prop D_ and NO on_Prop C_.

Good point...

Lo ve this wording!