Move to middle lane if patrol car parked on hwy

GOOD THING TO KNOW: New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of
the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped
vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and
the D.C. has this law.

In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010.
http://www.moveoveramerica.com/ A friend's son got a ticket for this
recently. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of
the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not
move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over
and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law
that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are
able, you are to move into the far lane.

The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a
mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know that drives about
this new law. It is true (see details at the following web address).

What a load of garbage! One more law treating police officers as special people with more rights than the rest of us, and giving them another excuse to pick our pockets! Over $700 fine for not changing lanes?! And isn't there also a law against rubbernecking (slowing down to look at an accident)? How does that square with this law *requiring* you to slow down when you pass patrol cars on the side of the road?

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

It's funny how these messages propagate, even while they carry a link to Snopes saying they are inaccurate.

----- Message d'origine ----

You're kidding, Harland! :frowning: Usually I check this kind of stuff, but since it had a link to Snopes right on the message, I assumed the link was confirming the story's validity! I guess next time I'll know better than to make that assumption! For the record, the Snopes link *does* say the basic story about the law requiring you to slow down or change lanes is true, but that the California fine for violating this law is "only" $146, not $754.

David, your message made it sound like you were talking about *your friend's son*, not just forwarding someone else's (inaccurate) story. This is why I try to distinguish in my emails between what I write myself and what I'm merely forwarding that someone else wrote. I hope everyone will try to do their own careful rumor-checking with Snopes before posting anything that sounds dubious, in order to ensure what gets passed along is as correct as possible.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))