Mask-wearing

Roy,

I hope you will grant that I'm not stupid and do not have a deathwish; neither am I skeptical of mask-wearing out of any desire to side with Donald Trump, nor simply to adopt the same position as my "tribe".

So why do I avoid wearing a mask unless I'm told by someone in authority somewhere that it's required? Simply because I do not think the scientific evidence is there, either for the effectiveness of masks in protecting health and preventing transmission of Covid-19, or for the danger of the virus itself rising to a level to make such intrusive counter-measures reasonable.

From https://swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/ (see site for source links as well as a video of a doctor explaining the mask-aerosol issue):

Are Face Masks Effective? The Evidence.

Updated: September 28, 2020; Published: July 30, 2020
Share on: Twitter / Facebook

An overview of the current evidence regarding the effectiveness of face masks.

1. Studies on the effectiveness of face masks

So far, most studies found little to no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks in the general population, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control.

A May 2020 meta-study on pandemic influenza published by the US CDC found that face masks had no effect, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control. (Source)
A July 2020 review by the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medince found that there is no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth masks against virus infection or transmission. (Source)
A Covid-19 cross-country study by the University of East Anglia found that a mask requirement was of no benefit and could even increase the risk of infection. (Source)
An April 2020 review by two US professors in respiratory and infectious disease from the University of Illinois concluded that face masks have no effect in everyday life, neither as self-protection nor to protect third parties (so-called source control). (Source)
An article in the New England Journal of Medicine from May 2020 came to the conclusion that cloth face masks offer little to no protection in everyday life. (Source)
An April 2020 Cochrane review (preprint) found that face masks didn’t reduce influenza-like illness (ILI) cases, neither in the general population nor in health care workers. (Source)
An April 2020 review by the Norwich School of Medicine (preprint) found that “the evidence is not sufficiently strong to support widespread use of facemasks”, but supports the use of masks by “particularly vulnerable individuals when in transient higher risk situations.” (Source)
A July 2020 study by Japanese researchers found that cloth masks “offer zero protection against coronavirus” due to their large pore size and generally poor fit. (Source)
A 2015 study in the British Medical Journal BMJ Open found that cloth masks were penetrated by 97% of particles and may increase infection risk by retaining moisture or repeated use. (Source)
An August 2020 review by a German professor in virology, epidemiology and hygiene found that there is no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks and the improper daily use of masks by the public may in fact lead to numerous additional infections. (Source)
Additional aspects

There is increasing evidence that the SARS-2 coronavirus is transmitted, at least in indoor settings, not only by droplets but also by smaller aerosols. However, due to their large pore size and poor fit, cloth masks cannot filter out aerosols (see video analysis below): over 90% of aerosols penetrate or bypass the mask and fill a medium-sized room within minutes.
The WHO admitted to the BBC that its June 2020 mask policy update was due not to new evidence but “political lobbying”: “We had been told by various sources WHO committee reviewing the evidence had not backed masks but they recommended them due to political lobbying. This point was put to WHO who did not deny.” (D. Cohen, BBC Medical Corresponent).
Japan, despite its widespread use of face masks, experienced its most recent influenza epidemic with more than 5 million people falling ill just one year ago, in January and February 2019. However, unlike SARS-2, the influenza virus is easily transmitted by children, too.
Many states that introduced mandatory face masks on public transport and in shops in spring, such as Hawaii, California, Argentina, Spain, France, Japan and Israel, saw a strong increase in infections from July onwards, indicating a low effectiveness of mask policies.
Austrian scientists found that the introduction, retraction and re-introduction of a face mask mandate in Austria had no influence on the coronavirus infection rate.
In the US state of Kansas, the 90 counties without mask mandates had lower coronavirus infection rates than the 15 counties with mask mandates. To hide this fact, the Kansas health department tried to manipulate the official statistics and data presentation.
Contrary to common belief, studies in hospitals found that the wearing of a medical mask by surgeons during operations didn’t reduce post-operative bacterial wound infections in patients.
In children, the risk of Covid-19 disease and transmission is very low – much lower than for influenza – and face masks for children are therefore, in general, not indicated.
During the notorious 1918 influenza pandemic, the use of cloth face masks among the general population was widespread and in some places mandatory, but they made no difference.
Asian countries with low covid infection and death rates benefited not from face masks but mainly from early border closures. This is confirmed by Scandinavian countries like Norway, Finland and Denmark, which didn’t introduce mask mandates but closed borders early and saw very low covid infection and death rates, too.
Development of cases after mask mandates

In many states, infections began to increase after mask mandates were introduced. The following chart shows the very typical example of France. Other examples include California, Florida, Hawaii, Argentina, Peru, the Philippines, Spain, Italy, the UK, Israel, Japan, Switzerland and many more.

2. Studies claiming face masks are effective

Some recent studies argued that cloth face masks are indeed effective against the new coronavirus and could at least prevent the infection of other people. However, most of these studies suffer from poor methodology and sometimes show the opposite of what they claim.

Typically, these studies ignore the effect of other measures, the natural development of infection numbers, changes in test activity, or they compare countries with very different conditions.

An overview:

A meta-study in the journal Lancet, commissioned by the WHO, claimed that masks “could” lead to a reduction in the risk of infection, but the studies considered mainly N95 respirators in a hospital setting, not cloth masks in a community setting, the strength of the evidence was reported as “low”, and experts found numerous flaws in the study. Professor Peter Jueni, epidemiologist at the University of Toronto, called the WHO study “essentially useless”.
A study in the journal PNAS claimed that masks had led to a decrease in infections in three global hotspots (including New York City), but the study did not take into account the natural decrease in infections and other simultaneous measures. The study was so flawed that over 40 scientists recommended that the study be withdrawn.
A German study claimed that the introduction of compulsory masks in German cities had led to a decrease in infections. But the data does not support this: in some cities there was no change, in others a decrease, in others an increase in infections (see graph below). The city of Jena was an ‘exception’ only because it simultaneously introduced the strictest quarantine rules in Germany, but the study did not mention this.
A US study claimed that mandatory masks had led to a decrease in infections in 15 states, but he study did not take into account that the infection rate was already declining in most states at that time, and a comparison with other states was not made. After the study was published, infections began to increase in states with mask mandates (e.g. in California, Florida and Hawaii).
A Canadian study claimed that countries with mandatory masks had fewer deaths than countries without mandatory masks. But the study compared African, Latin American, Asian and Eastern European countries with very different infection rates and population structures.
A small review by the University of Oxford claimed that face masks are effective, but it was based on studies about SARS-1 and in health care settings, not in community settings.

Mandatory masks in German cities: no relevant impact. (IZA 2020)
3. Risks associated with face masks

Wearing masks for a prolonged period of time is not harmless, as the following evidence shows:

The WHO warns of various “side effects” such as difficulty breathing and skin rashes.
Tests conducted by the University Hospital of Leipzig in Germany have shown that face masks significantly reduce the resilience and performance of healthy adults.
A German psychological study with about 1000 participants found “severe psychosocial consequences” due to the introduction of mandatory face masks in Germany.
The Hamburg Environmental Institute warned of the inhalation of chlorine compounds in polyester masks as well as problems in connection with face mask disposal.
The European rapid alert system RAPEX has already recalled 70 mask models because they did not meet EU quality standards and could lead to “serious risks”.
In Germany, two 13-year-old children died suddenly while wearing a mask for a prolonged period of time; autopsies couldn’t exclude CO2 intoxication or a sudden cardiac arrest.
In China, several children who had to wear a mask during sports classes fainted and died; the autopsies found a sudden cardiac arrest as the cause of death.
In the US, a car driver wearing an N95 (FFP2) mask fainted and crashed into a pole.
Conclusion

Cloth face masks in the general population might be effective, at least in some circumstances, but there is currently little to no evidence supporting this proposition. If the SARS-2 virus is indeed transmitted via indoor aerosols, cloth masks are unlikely to be protective. Health authorities should therefore not assume or suggest that cloth face masks will reduce the rate or risk of infection.

Yes, certainly there are many authorities, doctors, media outlets, etc., saying starkly different things on the mask issue. But how many of them make as comprehensive and detailed a case to support their positions as the Swiss Policy Research site above, versus how many have simply hopped on the "consensus" bandwagon without asking the tough questions?

Perhaps you can tell me why you do not find the abundant scientific evidence presented above to be compelling enough reason to be skeptical about the necessity of mask-wearing?

I see mask mandates as symbolic "public safety theater", similarly to how TSA airport screenings are mostly about "security theater", and playing the "national anthem" or pledging allegiance to the U.S. government's flag at public events are "patriotism theater". The only real bright side of people wearing masks as far as I am concerned is that it may confound facial recognition surveillance technology and help preserve public privacy and our right to go about anonymously in public.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

FaceMaskResults:France:Graph.jpeg

FaceMaskResults:GermanCities:April2020:Graph.png

Eli,

Your comment appears to be responding to my other recent post on mask-wearing, not on the topic of racism, so I've replaced the subject line and text to which you're responding accordingly. Anyway, my response, paralleling your language and applying its logic to some other possible behaviors that could lessen the risks of Covid-19...

Exercise, adequate sunlight and fresh air, and taking vitamin C and zinc may well help protect against coronavirus. Even if these things don't help, they arguably won't hurt, aside from mildly inconveniencing you. Does this mean you have a "moral obligation to everyone around" to do them, and that there is "no morally defensible reason" not to regularly exercise, take vitamin C and zinc, and spend enough time outside in the fresh air and sunshine? Does this make it okay for government to mandate that people do these things, under force of law and (as with all laws) the threat of violence? Why or why not?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

If they protect you from the virus, then they protect others from the virus, because you can't spread it to others if you don't have it yourself.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Eli,

My understanding is that people who are healthier, who have stronger immune systems, etc., are less likely to catch diseases in the first place (and thus less likely to spread them to others).

For instance, "diabetes increases inflammation and weakens the immune system, making it harder for people living with the condition to fight off disease in general." (https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-covid19-who-is-at-higher-risk)

Exercise and diet, of course, can help prevent diabetes. So should governments force people to eat healthier and exercise more in order to reduce their risk of getting sick and spreading viruses to others?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

I'm glad we can agree that it is an overreach for the State to try to regulate people's diets and fitness regimes Eli, and I hope you will hold firmly to that position in the years to come, should it become more than hypothetical. Anyone who supports many other government interventions can be considered "at risk" to support that one too, if such support were to become a mainstream position.

When it comes to their person, I think it is up to the individual to decide what is intrusive, just as with sex. A particular form of touching that may be welcomed by some would for others constitute sexual assault. To me, mask-wearing requirements – or mask-wearing bans, for that matter – are highly intrusive.

Not being a nudist, laws against public nudity don't harmfully impact me much, but such statutes are among the silliest and most offensive to our basic humanity of anything on the books. We are all born nude – there is nothing wrong with choosing to go unclothed in public. Why should anyone be criminalized and threatened with violence over this simplest and most fundamental of behaviors?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Whose confirmation bias, Roy? Mine? That of the people who compiled the research findings at the Swiss Policy Research site that you list below? That of the institutions and persons cited in their links? Yours?

Looking at media coverage and government public information activities (signs, official statements, etc.) during the Covid-19 epidemic in general, it seems to me that there has been a significant tendency to ignore evidence that goes against alarmism and government lockdown and mask-wearing mandates, and only present information in a manner that tends to support these policies. Given the scale, wouldn't that be a much more "impressive example of Confirmation Bias" than anything here?

The points you make below may raise legitimate doubts about a few of the many findings listed at the SWPRS page, but I'm not seeing any "smoking guns" disproving anything they've said. The most I'm seeing is that there is room for debate on some of the citations and claims.

My aim, and I presume the aim of those who compiled the information on the website, is not to prevent anyone wearing a mask who wishes to do so. I hope you agree that there should be a higher evidentiary burden on those who want governments to criminalize people for whatever behavior is non-approved, than on those who simply want to leave a matter to the default state of individual choice and discretion.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Sitting on something in the nude is not going to transmit anything to anyone else Eli, unless those persons are themselves nude. If this were a major vector for disease transmission we would hear more about people catching stuff from sitting on public toilet seats, which I don't think is generally believed to be a major public health issue by people who study such things. Park benches and like public seating are generally understood to be surfaces that you don't lick, or eat off of, and those who choose to disregard these norms do so at their own risk, which is as it should be.

Casual touching of surfaces with your anus or genitals that others have touched with their anuses or genitals just doesn't present a great risk under normal circumstances, and any ultra-precautious folks concerned about their mere clothing touching such surfaces could readily put down a towel or something before sitting, if they desire to sit there in the first place. A society with more public nudity could even have disposable protective covers available near public seating for this purpose if there were much demand for them, as is not infrequently the case in public restrooms where they have those paper things you can use to cover toilet seats. Not that guaranteeing the availability of public seating seems to be much of a priority for many people in other respects now. Go to a BART station for example, and look at the insufficient amount of places to sit down without sitting on the station floor (as I've often done for lack of a better seat).

The hygienic issue is a fig leaf anyway – pun intended. Adam and Eve didn't put on fig leaves out of a concern for sanitation. I think most people will acknowledge that the real issue is some people's aversion to looking at nudity, and/or claim that seeing it is harmful to children (a proposition that makes no sense in evolutionary terms). I believe these things are rooted in irrational fear and discomfort about sexuality, due to cultural and in many places personal, baggage.

I'm happy to answer your question about drinking and driving, but need you to define "drunk".

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Starchild,

You wrote: "I'm glad we can agree that it is an overreach for the State to try to regulate people's diets and fitness regimes Eli, and I hope you will hold firmly to that position in the years to come, should it become more than hypothetical."

As you may know, the State has many regulations on what food items can be sold and consumed. For one of many, you may recall “Food, not Bombs” being shut down when feeding homeless individuals. The hypothetical sphere was abandoned by the State decades ago.

Warm regards, Michael

Michael R. Edelstein, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
415-673-2848 (24/7)
www.TheREBT.Life

Co-author of Three Minute Therapy <http://www.threeminutetherapy.com/>
with David Ramsay Steele, Ph.D.
Features help for anxiety, depression,
relationships, panic attacks, addiction

I'm glad we can agree that it is an overreach for the State to try to regulate people's diets and fitness regimes Eli, and I hope you will hold firmly to that position in the years to come, should it become more than hypothetical. Anyone who supports many other government interventions can be considered "at risk" to support that one too, if such support were to become a mainstream position.

When it comes to their person, I think it is up to the individual to decide what is intrusive, just as with sex. A particular form of touching that may be welcomed by some would for others constitute sexual assault. To me, mask-wearing requirements – or mask-wearing bans, for that matter – are highly intrusive.

Not being a nudist, laws against public nudity don't harmfully impact me much, but such statutes are among the silliest and most offensive to our basic humanity of anything on the books. We are all born nude – there is nothing wrong with choosing to go unclothed in public. Why should anyone be criminalized and threatened with violence over this simplest and most fundamental of behaviors?

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Good point, Michael. I was thinking in terms of more direct attempts to regulate people's diet and exercise, but even in this area the State is already intruding with things like "sin" taxes on large-sized sodas, banning toys being included with fast food meals, etc.

It is only a matter of degrees separating this kind of thing from the State requiring people to stop whatever they are doing several times a day in order to perform exercises to instructions broadcast by loudspeaker, as was required nationwide under the CCP regime in China during the era of the murderous dictator Mao.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

I agree with you, Starchild, we are mostly pawns at the hands of the criminal State on the march to serfdom. Not entirely pawns, since the mission of the LPSF involves slowing down, stopping, or in the best of all outcomes, reversing it.

Good point, Michael. I was thinking in terms of more direct attempts to regulate people's diet and exercise, but even in this area the State is already intruding with things like "sin" taxes on large-sized sodas, banning toys being included with fast food meals, etc.

It is only a matter of degrees separating this kind of thing from the State requiring people to stop whatever they are doing several times a day in order to perform exercises to instructions broadcast by loudspeaker, as was required nationwide under the CCP regime in China during the era of the murderous dictator Mao.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild, thanks for standing up for body freedom!

I'm a nudist, largely because / to demonstrate how liberating it is to dress in a way that makes me comfortable, rather than in a way that is compelled by law, based on social conventions and without merit.

no more intrusive than laws against public nudity

The first thing most people do in the morning is dress in a fashion that is mandated by the state. In many places, simply going for a walk or swim on a nice day without dressing first is punishable by life-crippling penalties or even death. I'd say that's pretty intrusive!

Genitals on benches [is] unsanitary and there should be laws against it.

As Starchild eloquently said, that's really a non-issue, since the only risk is to a person who chooses to sit naked on an unsanitary surface. I assure you that putting them in jail for a decade is not the best way to protect someone from a dirty bench!

There are a few common arguments in favor of laws that criminalize public nudity (including, of course, "but what about the children?!?!"), but all of them are absurd. The clothing mandates simply exist to force others to dress in way that makes the majority comfortable. Last year, a woman was charged in Utah for lewdness after being topless in her own home while installing drywall. I've been to secluded beaches that have been clothing-optional for eons, with new signs posted by the government warning that nude patrons will be prosecuted.

In a nudist colony, everyone consents to the unsanitary effects of that

FYI, in most places where nudity is common, people agree to sit on a towel. Except, IIRC, Swedes don't sit on towels in saunas!

IMO, compulsory dress codes are an easy issue for libertarians. These laws use excessive violence to solve a non-problem, when voluntary solutions ("no shirt, no service") are already widespread. All libertarians should oppose anti-nudity laws!

Life & Liberty,

Jeff

I think we are in a Rothbardian lifeboat scenario - we can still deduce individual rights, but the answer is not going to make us super happy. This is not necessarily because COVID-19 is like Titanic. Rather decades without uncontrolled pandemics in US got us mentally unprepared for things that our ancestors, living with TB, Polio, AIDS or Malaria, would just write off as unavoidable risks of life. So the priority is really to overcome the pandemic through a combination of medical advances and mental fortitude rather than lament people surrendering their self respect out of fear. I would like to focus on the right to try experimental vaccines and treatments as well as to establish walled private communities where the virus is controlled sufficiently for unrestricted social life.

Without state, we would still have severe private restrictions. Why would same retail stores that subject employees to regular urine drug tests and putdown searches not make them wear full face respirators and spy on their social gatherings via smartphones? Back in the day, nobody would take a boy apprentice who has not been inoculated for smallpox, even though inoculation itself carried risk of death. People will always act on their worldviews through whatever means of power are available in their society, although in a decentralized society this power is unlikely to bind so absolutely.