Letter to the Editor - Stop telling us who to vote for

Editor,

"Newsom will run nearly unopposed" declares the headline above your August 11 story on SF's mayoral election. That's insulting to the 13 candidates who have filed to run against him. It's also insulting to the voters to say that "no formidable challenger jumped into the mayoral race," as the story reports. In a country that is supposed to be at least a democracy if not a true republic, is it too much to ask that when there's an election, the media focus on who the candidates are and what they stand for, and let the voters decide who is "formidable" or worth considering and who isn't? Or at least keep your opinions to the editorial page?

Yes I know it's a bit unfair to pick on the Examiner, since most U.S. media outlets routinely give us this same kind of biased, pro-establishment reporting. But last time I checked, "everybody does it" was still a poor excuse, and progress has to start somewhere. Besides, I don't know any other mainstream outlet that makes a regular feature out of reporting the astronomical odds against various people being elected mayor. Why not do something more socially useful and report on the astronomical odds against various incumbent politicians getting serious about cutting taxes and fees and putting more money back into the pockets of ordinary working folks?

If you as a voter listen to the media and decline to vote for the candidate who is best on the issues because the media says "he/she can't win," then you have let the media disenfranchise you and cast your vote for you. While you're at it, you might as well let the media tell you what to wear, what to eat, and where to shop too, since you obviously aren't big on making your own choices in life.

Sincerely,

Starchild
Vice Chair,
Libertarian Party of San Francisco
(415) 621-7932