Inclusionary Zoning May Face a Supreme Court Test - CityLab / Haight-Ashbury neighborhood housing meeting (Oct. 10)

For the Supreme Court news mentioned in the subject line, scroll to the bottom of the thread in this email.

Meanwhile, for those in the SF area interested in housing activism, there's an opportunity to engage in some on October 10 (especially if you live in the upper Haight area)...

From: Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council <info@hanc-sf.org>
Date: October 3, 2019 9:05:54 PM PDT
To: Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council <info@...>
Subject: Next HANC Meeting - Next Thursday, October 10

The next general meeting of the Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council will be next Thursday night, October 10, starting at 7:00 p.m. at the Park Branch Library Community Room (downstairs at 1833 Page, between Cole and Shrader).

The Mayor's Office of Housing and Community Development [MOHCD] has announced its intention to seek qualifications from developers for the permanent 100% affordable housing proposed at the former McDonald's site at Haight and Stanyan. November 29 is the date for selection of the development team.

HANC will discuss the site, City process and efforts of the Coalition for a Complete Community at 730 Stanyan [CCC] to ensure a development of maximum benefit to our neighborhood. We will also discuss interim uses of the site and the previous request for proposals and ensuing drama. Where's the community process?

We look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

In this case, it appears that even the mayor (generally in the moderate camp) ispushing for "100% affordable" housing right off the bat! But I expect there's more to it than that. HANC is a progressive group, and they will likely be suspicious of what the mayor's office is trying to do. On the other hand their members also tend to have some NIMBY "neighborhood character" sentiments, another potent source of the "ensuing drama" mentioned above.

Love & Liberty,

((( starchild )))

P.S. to Alton – I think I slightly misread your previous question below. To my knowledge, there aren't any explicitly race-based set-asides for subsidized (aka "affordable") housing (I think that would be illegal), although various racial groups may certainly be used in propaganda about the alleged need for such subsidies, and in practice I'll bet there are various efforts made behind the scenes to stack the ethnic population of certain particular projects (e.g. if there's a subsidized project in the Bayview neighborhood, they will try to make sure it includes "enough" African-Americans; if such a project is planned in Chinatown, that it includes "enough" persons of Chinese ancestry, etc.) There are explicit set-asides to give preferential treatment to members of other groups however, like government employees (e.g. the current "Educator Housing" measure on the upcoming Nov. 5th SF ballot, Proposition E – see https://sfelections.sfgov.org/measures).