Gay Pride Booth

I know you will all join me in thanking Aubrey and Marcy for “manning” our booth at Gay Pride on Saturday and Sunday.
Thank you also to all the people who helped them out for a few hours each day.
Best,
Francoise

Posted by: francoise@thefieldingcompanies.com

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups
PrivacyUnsubscribeTerms of Use

Indeed….hear hear!

Mike

Thank you, Francoise. But the real hero was Aubrey, who took care of everything, from completing the paperwork necessary to secure the booth, to carting the tent and pretty much everything in it, to being there all day Saturday and Sunday. BTW, include yourselves, Francoise and Mike D., among the good souls that also helped out.

Maybe Aubrey can correct me, but it seemed to me that this year there were more dots in the Libertarian quadrant than in the past, and more young people who told us they were registered Libertarians. Of course there was still the crowd of dots in the left-liberal quadrant.

We were totally outdone again by our neighboring booth. Last year our neighbor was PETA, with two gorgeous hosts in very skimpy clothes. This year it was Planned Parenthood, with super enthusiastic young ladies distributing all sorts of safe-sex trinkets -- their booth was a mob scene.

So, now that we are done with Pride, any ideas for our next event?

Marcy

Hi Marcy, Mike, and Francoise! Thanks for the kind words, but I didn't do alone. Thanks to you three and also Nick (from Marin), Jawj, Jim Elwood, Jeff Nunes (from the East Bay), Catherine (from GGLR), and Brent for your assistance in making it through another Pride. Yes, indeed I agree that we had more dots in Libertarian quadrant of the Nolan Quiz than the Left (Liberal) but not by much. A comparison to last year's Quiz results (I usually keep all that stuff around for posterity) also looks like more in the Libertarian quadrant, but this year we actually had quite a few more dots on the quiz due to more visitors at the booth.

We had no major mishaps with the canopy or windstorms, the weather was great, and the crowd was in great spirits. Other than that one elderly nudie and the disagreeable person who wanted to argue about the James Baldwin poster, the visitors to our booth were fun to talk and listen to. The most asked question was about the national ID card, as the kids seemed totally oblivious on that one, and we gave them an earful about that one. Many of the young folks were totally unversed on the economic part of the quiz and quite a few said they knew nothing at all about that part, but some were interested in listening to the Libertarian spin on economic issues. I think some actually took something positive away from their visit to our booth--even the lefties.

On the practical side, not including seeding money, we collected $14.26 in donations, which is about typical for each Pride. More important, this year we didn't bother with a sign-up list but asked those who were clearly Libertarian, libertarian, or libertarian-leaning to fill out our LPSF information sheet, and we got 12 promising sheets back (and this time I asked them to be very careful writing out their email addresses so they don't get bounced back). One very enthusiastic young person was just thrilled to have discovered us and appears like a very promising prospect as an activist, but as always, time will tell if that comes to fruition. We also received a few promising contacts for the other local LP chapters, and I will pass that information on to the East Bay and South Bay chairs.

A special thanks to Marcy for the "wall" for our booth, tons of buttons and stickers, and all the wonderful literature for our tables. Thanks also for your unending efforts to publicize the event and your special touches to make our booth look classy, clean, and appealing. As always, you are remarkable. Also a special mention to Jawj for schlepping the Restore Balance petition around the fair and getting at least 30 more signatures for us (and admonishing me for not being as careful as I should have been about ensuring that folks who signed the petition filled out their information completely).

All in all, I consider our participation in Pride a worthwhile endeavor this year and recommend that we do it again next year. Thanks again to all those of you who helped out.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Thank you, Francoise. But the real hero was Aubrey, who took care of everything, from completing the paperwork necessary to secure the booth, to carting the tent and pretty much everything in it, to being there all day Saturday and Sunday. BTW, include yourselves, Francoise and Mike D., among the good souls that also helped out.

Maybe Aubrey can correct me, but it seemed to me that this year there were more dots in the Libertarian quadrant than in the past, and more young people who told us they were registered Libertarians. Of course there was still the crowd of dots in the left-liberal quadrant.

We were totally outdone again by our neighboring booth. Last year our neighbor was PETA, with two gorgeous hosts in very skimpy clothes. This year it was Planned Parenthood, with super enthusiastic young ladies distributing all sorts of safe-sex trinkets -- their booth was a mob scene.

So, now that we are done with Pride, any ideas for our next event?

Marcy