[Freed-M] Officers in the Brutal Beating Death of Kelly Thomas Found Not Guilty - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Call me. 707-623-6005
--- Sent with mail@metro, Real Life Real Time Mobile ---

In home rule, the commissioner can make up their own rules. We fought bitterly against the commissioner dream of home rule, opting to stick with statutory rule instead. That has allowed us a few very Libertarian things in our county—for example, we don’t have building codes here. Technically, we also don’t have zoning.

Debbie

(Attachment image001.jpg is missing)

(Attachment image002.jpg is missing)

(Attachment image003.png is missing)

(Attachment image004.jpg is missing)

Cool. We need more of that here.

< -- The message is truncated. -- >

--- Sent with mail@metro, Real Life Real Time Mobile ---

It IS cool. You can build whatever kind of house you want. Building codes make it illegal to be poor. Lots of poor people here who can’t afford a fabulous home can build one. WITHOUT (purchased) permission. Building your own home on your own property is a RIGHT, not a PRIVILEGE.

I am piling on to this thread because the freedom to build whatever kind of house you want got my attention. I do agree, with some conditions, however.

I agree that one should be able to build whatever one wants on one's own property. I believe that strongly. I abhor nonsense building codes and regulations. I have had it up to here with them. That said, however, even in a market free of government regulation there are natural limits.

For example, if one knowingly purchases a lot in a community that has recorded covenants that limit what you can build, then you have to abide by that. It is a contractual obligation. The original owner who developed the subdivision imposed those as conditions of sale and recorded them in the land records. If you don't like them, buy land elsewhere. (I did.)

If you want to bring electricity or natural gas or a propane tank to your property, then you are probably going to have to abide by the rules of the provider. Even in a market free of government interference, such providers will have minimum standards, and they ought to, to protect themselves from liability claims if for no other reason.

If you want to insure your property (maybe you do, maybe you don't), the insurance company might have their own minimum requirements. Beyond the minimum requirements, they might have lower rates for better-built houses. That is fair and reasonable.

If you have a mortgage you will be required to provide insurance. See "if you want to insure your property" above.

If you want to drill a well, then I do believe that you should take great care to construct it properly so that not only do you not expose yourself to harm but do not contaminate the groundwater from which others may be drawing. If any contamination is traced back to you, in my free market world that embraces individual responsibility, you WILL be held responsible for the harm you cause to others by polluting the groundwater. You might want liability insurance for that. The insurance company will have requirements, as it should.

If you want to install some system for capturing and disposing of black and grey water, you will, again, want to take care that you don't contaminate your own well or those of anybody else. If you do, you are liable. You might want liability insurance for that. The insurance company will have requirements, as it should.

You also can't change the grade in such a way that it causes problems for adjacent landowners. For example, you can dig and dig right next to the boundary and cause a landslide and houses uphill to collapse. In other words, you need to maintain that lateral support. Likewise, you can't channel water from its natural course in such a way that it floods your neighbor's property that didn't used to flood. These are well-established rules that were the common law long before state and federal building codes came along.

In other words, I do believe you should be free to build whatever you want, and paint it any color you want, as long as you do it in a manner that does not jeopardize the safety of adjacent and even distant landowners or air quality or water quality or the rights of others to reasonably use and enjoy their property.

Oh, and the same goes for noise pollution. Yes, I think people have the "right" to install big bass speakers in their homes and cars but they don't have the "right" to impose their taste in head-banging music on me. If they want to play their music that loudly, then they need to insulate said houses and cars so that the sound does not escape except perhaps in a muffled whisper or else build their house and play their car stereos on their privately owned 2000 acre compounds.

Remember, with freedom comes responsibility.

I would also hope for common courtesy and decency but with no intention of using force to impose standards of common courtesy and decency on others. Just the mere power of society to shun is deterrent enough, I think. Yes, shunning should be allowed. Too many rules, laws and regulations prohibit shunning (sometimes called discrimination). If people want to shun, let them! If they shun for good reason, great. If they shun for bad reasons, good people will shun them. It all works out in the end.

Nina

"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to
believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset
forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if
it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war."
-Bill St. Clair-

Oh, agreed. In my county, if you are tying into the electric grid, you need an electrical inspection. If you are hooking into city sewer/water, you need a plumbing inspection.
And fussbudgets live in Home Owner Associations.
We just don’t want the county to act as an HOA.

And if your noise/smoke/leech field/ whatever crosses over your property boundary onto someone elses, the standard rules about infringing on others rights applies. We try hard to draw the line, though, about what are “progressive” infestation calls “viewsheds”. You don’t have the “right” to use force against me (in the form of the sheriff) because you don’t like how my yard looks. We also have a lot of people move here from some metropolis type place , eager to live “in the country”, and then throw a shit fit because the guy next door is kicking up dirt with his farm tractor.

(Attachment image001.png is missing)

(Attachment image003.jpg is missing)

(Attachment image005.png is missing)

(Attachment image006.jpg is missing)