For those following the Bradley Manning trial

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/

Mike

So long as there is no organization to do anything about it, I can't bear to follow it.

I hear you….

Starchild and Aubrey….how was the Bradley Manning event last Sat afternoon?

Mike

I’m sorry your sensibilities are so delicate, John; I’m afraid you may be missing much of what’s happening in the coming months and years. It’s also harder to discover what opportunities there may be for doing something about it if you can’t bear to look. Immediately following Bradley Manning’s arrest, Mike Gogulski organized the Free Bradley Manning petition and the Bradley Manning Support Network, which has raised very substantial sums for his defense. There have been ongoing protests and demonstrations throughout the country, including the recent one in the Bay Area. Even just wearing Bradley Manning buttons and T-shirts, as I have, can help raise awareness, and is arguably better than nothing.

(Attachment image001.jpg is missing)

(Attachment image002.jpg is missing)

Mike,

Where did you get your Bradley Manning buttons?

Thanks for informing us about them!

Warm regards, Michael

Yes, little things do matter. Modest donations. Wearing pins. Giving a freedom-minded book to a child. It all matters. It all adds up. We all need to be the change we want, even if that is as much as we can do. Some have more time and money to do more than others. That's OK.

I decided several years ago that I couldn't just do nothing, so I decided to do what I could. Admittedly it is not much, but I am encouraged every time an old friend who I haven't seen in decades encourages me to keep those emails coming because it "is making a difference".

Nina

It's a well-kept secret. You go to www.bradleymanning.org<http://www.bradleymanning.org> and click on "Store." Buttons, T-shirts, posters, bumper stickers, underwear, mugs. . . .

And Bradly Manning sits in prison awaiting the coming months and years.
I'm fully aware of the "rain dancing" on Bradley's behalf, but I'm not so naive to think it will bring "rain".
And as real measure are not commenced, it is arguably worse than nothing for its pacification.

This is no less serious than the kidnapping of someones child. Yet it is treated as if it were just another debate.
Maybe we should get out the pom-poms and cheer for our dancers.

Is this the country where things like this are commonplace and there is no outrage and there is no organization to focus that outrage effectively? How much longer will we tolerate this?

It's not a matter of my sensibilities, it's a matter of my disgust and contempt for the Caspar Milquetoast-pansy-ass-wimps and self deluded fools who pretend they are doing something by speaking of things that make no difference for anybody but themselves.

I’d prefer the characterization to be “awareness building” and “showing solidarity” and “peaceful protest”… but maybe that’s just me.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

Surprisingly, I found the site easily. In what way is it a "well-kept secret?"

Warm regards, Michael

Warm regards, Michael

Michael R. Edelstein, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
San Francisco
415-673-2848 (24 hours)

Author of Three Minute Therapy
(with David Ramsay Steele, Ph.D.)
Features help for anxiety, depression, relationships, panic attacks and addiction
*A Quality Paperback Book Club/Book-of-the-Month Club Selection

To order: www.ThreeMinuteTherapy.com
Or toll free: 1-800-986-4135
Email: DrEdelstein@...

I suppose there's a place for the vice of passivity.
I guess were like the Apostles, but today we sell Jesus tee-shirts and buttons for our crucifixion awareness.

I wasn’t aware that showing up with many others for a legit cause was “passivity”. I can think of many other examples of “passivity” but that isn’t one of them.

Again….maybe that’s just me.

Mike

We are still waiting for what you might suggest be done, John. I know you suggested telecommunications or face to face discussion. However, I for one, am still not clear how that solution would work. Meanwhile, best we can do is play "self deluded fools" as you characterize us? Let us know.

Marcy

Because no one would know such things were available unless they thought of going to bradleymanning,org and looking for the Store.

Some of us feel disgust and contempt, and rant to other members of this list; others feel disgust and contempt, and donate money to Manning’s defense fund, wear T-shirts, and attend rallies; everyone has a role. It sounds as though the “organization that can do something effective” that you have in mind is one that could overpower the U.S. military. But most of us pansy-ass wimps on this list, however, would not even be up for so modest a mission as, say, a personal assault on Judge Lind. I’m sure you’re not alone in your frustration, but San Francisco may not be the best hunting ground for the kind of he-men whose company you’re craving. Your anger is an important asset, in doing what needs to be done; if some of it were satisfyingly discharged in effective action, that might also go a long way toward solving the problem of your loneliness, in making you a more inviting person to be around.

John…..I don’t know what you are talking about. This may not be the “revolution” but it’s something we did and enjoyed doing AFTER we went down and supported the 2A folks in Pacifica. Your ridicule seems to be quite inappropriate behavior among supposed allies.

You suggested a “social” in Marin. Again, not the “revolution” but people expressed their issues and I said I would come from time to time.

You talked about some kind of verbal communication circle or something. But unless I missed it folks have been asking you to clarify without success. Again….maybe I missed it. Please help me/us understand what it is you are talking about.

If you aren’t happy with the current state of events, then please do something that makes you happy….tell us about it and invite us along. We like being involved and everyone can benefit from shared leadership. But just to let you know, my wife has made it very clear I’m not allowed to be a martyr to any causes until the kids have all graduated from college.

:>)

Mike

Michael,
The process for getting from where we are to where we want/need to be, may be problematic. Meanwhile, yer only knowing me through the limitations of type, with very little, to orient the context of my rhetoric. There is a method to my "madness" and there may also be better ways to go about it.

But as the saying goes, "Anything really worth doing, is worth doing badly". :slight_smile: { In contrast to not at all :frowning: }

John

You’re quite right, John, that we know each other only through e-mail—and that the process of getting from here to there is one we all struggle with. Apologies (in your message to Mike D.) accepted, in any case—and no worries. I think most people on this list understood perfectly well that you were using “pansy-ass wimps” in a purely neutral, descriptive sense.

Michael,
Thanks.

Mike called and reminded me that it doesn't do any good if people don't understand what I'm saying. I tend to err in the direction of the abstract partially cuz I don't have all the answers and I'm hoping to elicit input from someone working on the question from another point of view.

Sometimes it doesn't work very well.

Mike said, "What the devil is a 'voice-communication network'...call it a phone tree?"
John

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:54 PM
Subject: RE: [lpsf-discuss] For those following the Bradley Manning trial

You’re quite right, John, that we know each other only through e-mail—and that the process of getting from here to there is one we all struggle with. Apologies (in your message to Mike D.) accepted, in any case—and no worries. I think most people on this list understood perfectly well that you were using “pansy-ass wimps” in a purely neutral, descriptive sense.

From:lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Bechtol
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:43 PM
To: lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] For those following the Bradley Manning trial

Michael,
The process for getting from where we are to where we want/need to be, may be problematic. Meanwhile, yer only knowing me through the limitations of type, with very little, to orient the context of my rhetoric. There is a method to my "madness" and there

may also be better ways to go about it.