Disagree with the Lib vote recommendations on Prop H and Prop I

The LP really missed on the Prop.H - Prop I measures.

These are the measures dealing with the Beach Chalet soccer fields. Prop H wants to keep the field as they are now, grass field. Prop I wants to renovate the field as turf fields.

I support the turf fields for many reasons, all of them in sync with Libertarian values.

The city isn't trying to transform currently "tranquil" spaces to recreational use, as the LP of San Francisco argues. The city wants to take spaces NOW being used for recreation, and improve them, make them safer and more usable.

There's a myth that the Beach Chalet fields are somehow "pristine meadows" or a haven for wildlife. This is not true. These fields have long been used for soccer and lacrosse. Nobody else uses them. Nobody goes there for tranquility. Nobody goes there to read or wander or think about life.

My kids played soccer for 13 years in San Francisco. The turf fields are vastly superior, at least in San Francisco. I invite anyone to visit Kimbell, the Crocker Amazon fields, and any other turf field. (I'm happy to give a tour.) See what thriving community centers they are. They are beautiful. They are in constant use. Kids can go on these fields without paying a penny.

(Coaches and teams have always had to pay, but they don't mind if the fields are good. It's a lousy deal when there's a shortage of fields, the fields are in bad shape, or you have a game cancelled because of rain.)

Sure, grass fields in an ideal world would be great. This means a world with unlimited money and resources, where a big crew of works would preen the fields, trim the grass, get rid of the gophers, etc. for hours every day. But that's utopia. We live in the real world.

What's more, turf fields save the city money. More than half of the installation cost is paid for by a private donor. There is very little maintenance of these fields, so over time they pay for themselves.

I think the Libertarian party really missed big on this one. I am very disappointed. The LP picked the more expensive proposition and the one that subverts the democratic process.

The LP has suggested the city is just trying to get more fees from teams and users. This is nonsense. The city charges just as much on a grass field. The only difference is that, without more turf fields, teams and players who desperately need places to play have to wait in line even longer because of the shortage. And ultimately the city could end up charging even more for fields, because, well ... supply and demand. The demand is huge. The supply is inadequate.

Most important of all — the Beach Chalet project was already approved, many times over, after a very long, drawn-out process that included many, many hearings. (I spoke at some of them.) The last approval was unanimous. Thus opponents are trying to totally undermine a very open, transparent process — one that should have gone forward by now.

I urge everyone to vote AGAINST Prop. H and FOR Prop I.

What's the difference between grass and turf?

Hello Debbie,

We appreciate your comments! Good airing of opposing views is essential to the democratic process.

Most of the discussion on Propositions H and I does focus on the Beach Chalet turf vs grass. We view this turf war as the surface of the argument, with some extolling the virtues of artificial grass and some pointing to its disadvantages (for example, members of the Women's International Soccer Team recently sued FIFA over the use of artificial turf, talking to the press about the "safety risks" of turf and "there should be grass stains not blood"). We chose to give more emphasis on the safety risks of turf. We also chose not to view the issue as either turf or abandoned soccer fields and playgrounds -- those are obviously not the only two alternatives, as our recommendations point out.

I am sure Croker Amazon and the other fields are looking pretty good these days. Hopefully, they will continue to look good after the elections. However, Croker Amazon looked fine to me back in the days our daughter's school team played there. Good, cheap, soft grass.

But, there is another layer besides the turf war, we think, to Propositions H and I. We see nothing on Proposition I that limits it to the Beach Chalet. The proposal only states: "In order to increase usage of children's playgrounds, walking trails and athletic fields by members of the public, notwithstanding any restriction on lighting or requirement for natural grass, the City shall allow renovation to children's playgrounds, walking trails and athletic fields, including but not limited to the installation of artificial turf and/or nighttime lighting on athletic fields." This broad intention is the reason behind our concern that tranquil areas might end up as venues for City-organized non-tranquil events.

Proposition H was the only recourse opponents of this broad intention saw. That is the purpose of initiatives and referendums.

As an aside, in spite of measure upon measure to improve parks and playgrounds, it appears that these playgrounds are always in need of more improvement. Maybe we need less grandiose and expensive improvement, and more regular maintenance?

Again, thank you for your input. Our group welcomes comments -- both agreements and disagreements.

Regards,

Marcy Berry
Vice Chair
Libertarian Party of San Francisco
www.lpsf.org

One is people made (plastic turf), and the other nature made (plant). Turf requires the maintenance all plastic surfaces need. Grass requires the maintenance all plants need. I cannot quote the difference in water usage, but assume that turf needs to be washed, while grass needs to be watered.

Of course, you can always argue Monsanto has blurred those distinctions, but I will stick with the differentiation.

Marcy

Hi Debbie,

Let me join Marcy in welcoming your feedback, even though I was one of those who urged that we support Proposition H and oppose Proposition I. I'm not expecting you're going to agree with me, but I'll respond to some of your points below to share where I'm coming from...

The city isn't trying to transform currently "tranquil" spaces to recreational use, as the LP of San Francisco argues.

I think you have a point that we could have worded that argument better.

There's a myth that the Beach Chalet fields are somehow "pristine meadows" or a haven for wildlife.

I've never described them in such terms, but I do think that grass is a heck of a lot more nature-friendly than plastic turf is ever going to be. Not all wildlife comes in large, mammalian varieties. You might be surprised at the amount and variety of tiny critters that live in your lawn, or use it during their lifecycle. Worms, insects, slugs and snails, birds that feed on them. Perhaps small lizards and snakes. Even the much-maligned gopher. More larger critters might use the fields if they weren't fenced off, but that's a separate issue.

My kids played soccer for 13 years in San Francisco. The turf fields are vastly superior, at least in San Francisco. I invite anyone to visit Kimbell, the Crocker Amazon fields, and any other turf field. (I'm happy to give a tour.) See what thriving community centers they are.

I played soccer for 9 years myself, and greatly prefer natural grass. For sure it's not the wilderness, but being in the midst of living, growing things still feels different than being in a wholly man-made environment. I guess I'm not a sports purist. For me, playing was about having fun. I saw the imperfections -- gopher holes, slightly uneven surface, and what-not -- as making the game more interesting, not less. Games cancelled because of rain? In the league I was in we used to play in the rain, unless it was really coming down at the start of the game, and I recall those rainy matches as being among the most fun. Kids slipping and sliding and falling in the mud, the ball and your cleats too slippery to always connect with shots the way you normally would. It all made for an extra challenge, an added element of chaos and unpredictability and excitement. We'd come out of those games streaked with mud, our uniforms taking on the new color of brown, feeling like war heroes.

They are beautiful. They are in constant use. Kids can go on these fields without paying a penny.

Forgive me if I don't see a plastic lawn as beautiful! Kids can go on the fields without paying a penny now, just like you can walk across the Golden Gate Bridge without paying a penny now. They're trying to change that, and charge pedestrians and bicyclists a toll. In the future, people might use the excuse that "the government built it" (a plastic turf field) as a justification for government to charge for it, in a way they wouldn't be able to do as credibly in the case of a natural lawn.

What's more, turf fields save the city money. More than half of the installation cost is paid for by a private donor. There is very little maintenance of these fields, so over time they pay for themselves.

Do they? In that case, the proponents of Proposition I were foolish not to include a provision guaranteeing those savings would be given back to taxpayers. Such a provision might well have earned the measure LPSF support, or at least a neutral stance. But I am skeptical. Government officials, and supporters of their projects, frequently claim those projects are "investments" that will save money in the long run, even if they're asking us to pay more up front. And all too frequently, those supposed savings turn out to be based on unrealistic estimates and projections. Or any savings simply get eaten up by other priorities, like salary increases.

The LP has suggested the city is just trying to get more fees from teams and users. This is nonsense. The city charges just as much on a grass field. The only difference is that, without more turf fields, teams and players who desperately need places to play have to wait in line even longer because of the shortage. And ultimately the city could end up charging even more for fields, because, well ... supply and demand. The demand is huge. The supply is inadequate.

You dismiss the LPSF's suggestion that the city government might be aiming to get more money in fees as nonsense. But look at how many things they are nickel-and-diming park users for. This trend caused a recent controversy you may have heard about in the Mission, when some tech company folks paid a fee ($27 per hour if I recall) to reserve a local field that some neighborhood kids were playing on, which historically had always been first-come, first-play. They charge fees to reserve picnic tables in the parks. The Mime Troupe had to pay many thousands of dollars just to put on its traditional series of free public shows in SF parks (yes, I don't necessarily agree with all their politics either, but I do support free speech and free entertainment). They even keep trying to put parking meters in Golden Gate Park, although so far public outrage has stopped this greedy move.

Most important of all — the Beach Chalet project was already approved, many times over, after a very long, drawn-out process that included many, many hearings. (I spoke at some of them.) The last approval was unanimous. Thus opponents are trying to totally undermine a very open, transparent process — one that should have gone forward by now.

The last approval may have been unanimous by the government bureaucrats involved, but as the significant ongoing opposition shows, it was very far from unanimous in the community. If the city government or its departments are going to embark on new projects, shouldn't they focus on doing ones that enjoy widespread consensus and support, instead of trying to push through stuff that a large percentage of the public opposes, thus wasting everyone's time on all those hearings and all that process? A majority imposing its will via government on a minority may be the democratic process, but democracy isn't the be-all, end-all.

Anyway, I hope you found most of our ballot stances more to your liking, and can forgive this point of disagreement. Whether you're Libertarian (registered with the party) or just libertarian (philosophically for freedom), you're welcome to come by one of our meetings and say hello or stick around and get involved. Members of the public are welcome too if you're just curious and want to see what we talk about. We meet the 2nd Saturday each month at the San Francisco main library, usually in the 4th floor community meeting room unless it's booked, from 3-5pm, and those who feel like sticking around often go out to eat afterward and chat over dinner at nearby Ananda Fuara vegetarian restaurant.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))
Outreach Director, Libertarian Party of San Francisco
                               (415) 625-FREE