Dead film stars

Marcy,

The first step involves subscribing for a fee to www.netflix.com. They offer
two options for viewing movies: 1) you can have DVDs mailed to you, 2) you
can have movies sent directly to your computer from netflix.com. This allows
you to watch a movie a few seconds after you order it from netflix.com.

"Streaming" simply refers to option #2.

Now you know what "Lilyhammer, streaming on Netflix" means!

Warm regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

Huumm... that leaves me out. The last time a watched a movie for which I paid was when I took Celeste and Justin, her best friend, to see "My Little Pony."

Speaking of relatively new movies (as opposed to Fields or Lamarr movies), and speaking of changes in what is politically correct in movies intended for wide movie audiences, I had enough of working a couple of days ago, and turned on my TV (plain free TV, no Cable). "Best of Show" happened to be on. I was thinking as I watched, "So this is very funny and qualifies as poking fun; but does it really rise to the level of irreverence portrayed in W.C. Fields or the brother Marks movies?"

But as you say, Michael, there is material out there that might rise to the level of irreverence of which I am thinking, and I just do not know about it.

As an aside, why I am making the correlation between the irreverence of old movies and libertarianism, I do not know. I guess I am just wondering if there is a correlation.

Marcy

Oh, I think the overall level of irreverence has greatly increased in recent years, though not all of it is of a libertarian by any means. Consider South Park, The Simpsons, Penn & Teller's Bullshit!, and the Daily Show, for instance. I agree that there's some connection between irreverence and libertarianism, and I think the generally increasing distrust and lack of respect for institutions and authority bodes well for the future.

I don't see that many new movies myself, but one I did see recently and loved, was "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". Not really irreverent, but all-around fantastic! There's at least one great libertarian scene in it, when a woman needing a hip replacement is told by the British health service that she'll be on a waiting list for many months, and so she decides to go to India to have the procedure done instead.

Love & Liberty,
                                  ((( starchild )))

I am conflicted, Starchild, on whether we are more irreverent today than in the old days (and thus freer to express thought). Your examples are good ones. Homer's superficial ineffectiveness as a parent was reviled when the show first came out, and reminds me of Fields' ineffectiveness with children, portrayed in many of his films (note I say "superficial" since Homer comes out swinging when his family is really in trouble, i.e. the bomb shelter episode).

So, I would admit that you and Michael E. are correct that irreverence (free thought) is still alive and well. Heck, even our Supreme Court justices are just now being rather irreverent, "Can the government force you to buy broccoli." But that's another item for we libertarians to follow with great interest!

Marcy