[cal-libs] Who Won The Debate?

Dear All;

The latest MSNBC poll results Saturday morningish with another 300,000 added to the Friday night late night results:

Who won the presidential debate? * 788839 responses
John McCain
35%
Barack Obama
51%
Tie
6.4%
Not sure
7.7%
Not a scientific survey. Click to learn more. Results may not total 100% due to rounding.

CBS News had a unique take they had a group of uncommitted voters who agreed to watch the debate and then be questioned about their views:

Immediately after the debate, CBS News interviewed a nationally representative sample of nearly 500 debate watchers assembled by Knowledge Networks who were "uncommitted voters" - voters who are either undecided about who to vote for or who say they could still change their minds. Thirty-nine percent of these uncommitted debate watchers said Obama won the debate. Twenty-four percent said McCain won, and another 37 percent thought it was a tie.

This is the pdf for all the responses to all the questions. The overall result is Obama picked up points over McCain among the previously uncommitted.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/2008Debate1.pdf

FOX News: Question of the Day Who Won The Debate?

McCain - 51% Obama - 49% [ However no numbers provided]

CNN had a poll of 524 people with an article about those results. Basically with Obama ahead but there was overwhelming agreement that both Obama and John McCain would be able to handle the job of president if elected among those polled:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/27/debate.poll/index.html

Calling Bob Barr - calling Bob Barr - where are you Bob Barr?

And the beat goes on - la di la di dah.

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni

I was impressed by McCain's call to freeze spending on everything except a few narrow areas. Not that I trust him for a minute to follow through with that plan if elected. The debate seemed pretty substantive compared to most presidential debates I recall watching in the past, with both Obama and McCain coming across as intelligent and making various good points, but in the bigger picture they are both still part of the problem and there's no way I'd vote for either of them.

And of course no one mentioned all the candidates shut out of the debate by the establishment parties. These debate polls are ultimately phony because they don't include a response option like "Nobody won, because it was a rigged debate that excluded most of those who should have been there."

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

My problem with this report is the bizarre graphics associated with the
totals. If 51% of the respondents felt that Barack Obama won the debate and
35% of them felt that McCain won, and 6.4% felt they were tied, why do the
bar graphs show them in a dead heat? Shouldn't Obama's bar be 16% longer
than McCain's? Not scientific by a long shot.

Terry