Breaking: Facebook posting Marine vet in psych ward: FBI admits questioning, denies arrest

First they came for the Libertarians, but I wasn't one...

This guy was put in a mental ward against his will by the local PoPo in the presence of the FBI and SS I mean Secret Service Apparently , his facebook posts ertr a threat to the government of the United States.

This precedent if allowed to stand might be of a teeny bit of concern.

Oh , but I understand that the eyeball soup in the Gulag's taste pretty good, according to alexander solji's food channel.

LPSF,

Can someone tell me how to turn off and eliminate all traces of my Facebook webpage? I consider Facebook a government spy tool.

All the best,

Don

Hi Don,

As I understand it, your posts on Facebook (updates, photos, likes, etc) become the property of Facebook, even after you die. You can unsubscribe to Facebook, but the content of you page will live forever.

My personal opinion is that posts on Facebook, or any other on-line venue, are treated by the government as any other speech or any other writing. If the government gets wind of any legitimate threat to anyone (not just the President) or any legitimate intent to overthrow the government, the source will find himself/herself in custody. As the end of the article indicates, a legitimate threat was made (and I personally agree that was the case) and the custody was, as the articles says, probably warranted. True, abuses exist; and you can get arrested because someone did not like your letter to an editor, a license plate message, a tweeter feed, or a cell phone conversation.

Don, I hope you will not discontinue your Facebook. This is a good venue to share our libertarian principles, in hopes that friends of friends who might read our posts or comments will absorb our message. I do not believe that your posts threatened anyone.

Marcy
--- In lpsf-discuss@...m, Defliberty <defliberty@...> wrote:

Marcy,

I don't believe that's true. I think Facebook will permanently delete your account if you request it. But I would have to dig around in the site to figure out how to do it.

In the long run, I think libertarians would be much better off using a social network, or networks, run by libertarian-minded folks (preferably ourselves, via something more collaborative/open-source, like Wikipedia). In the short term, I do find my Facebook account useful enough that I don't plan to shut it down, although I'm far from a big fan of the site.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Oh , but I understand that the eyeball soup in the Gulag's taste pretty good, according to alexander solji's food channel.

Phil,

That's very sick, but somehow funny. As Monty Python said, "Always look on the bright side of death."

I'll have to read about the actual story when I have more time later.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Starchild,

That is why I said "as I understand it", and I would be pleased to be proven wrong. Regarding us posting on a network run by libertarian-minded folks, that would be our proverbial preaching to the choir.

Marcy

LPSF,

If a person unsubscribes or attempts to shutdown his/her Facebook account, does Facebook keep the account online (Facebook friends would still have access to the closed account) or does Facebook take the account offline and privately store the account on computers at Facebook headquarters?

I am not concerned that I have or will make threats against anyone. I am, however, concerned that government will use Facebook accounts to imprison people like me who harshly criticize government, advocate secession, advocate shutting down a multitude of government agencies and call for the end of all wars. Also, I am concerned that Facebook grants universities (government-controlled schools) access to a potential student's Facebook account as part of a political background check before granting/denying admission to school.

Universities are, in my experience, harsh political environments and politically lopsided to the point that students and faculty who don't openly espouse the political views of the majority have a rough ride. Note that this observation was made before I had a Facebook account. I hope to continue my 'education' in the near future and I am concerned that admission will be denied because of my political views.

All the best,

Don

Oh, okay, I guess I kind of glossed over that -- sorry. I see the desirability of a social network run on libertarian terms as somewhat analogous to the desirability of having a Libertarian Party rather than just working within one of the establishment parties.

With a larger network like Facebook, we have the convenience of being able to reach more non-libertarians, but are forced to work within a system that's less hospitable to freedom, whereas with a smaller network (like the LP) we may be preaching to the choir more often, but are also supporting an alternative choice, and by choosing it ourselves, making it more popular and encouraging others to break with the establishment, or at least divert some of their energy our way. That seems like a better long-term strategy.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Don,

Perhaps you could use a pseudonym for Facebook? Have a "clean" Don Fields profile there too perhaps? I share your concern about government access to information stored on places like Facebook, although not so much as an immediate personal threat or anything, more just as a general social/political concern. Governments should be transparent to individuals, and individuals should be opaque to governments! As for universities not liking what you say in your profile, I wouldn't worry too much. If you have what appear to them to be right-wing views, they might well look at you as a person in great need of an education. :wink:

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

Starchild,

Thank you for your advice, concern and humor. Both are appreciated and helpful.

All the best,

Don