Bay Area regional cooperation among LP chapters and other pro-freedom groups

At our Libertarian Party of San Francisco meeting yesterday, we discussed again namely a topic that comes up periodically over the years, and everyone tends to think is a good idea, but which rarely seems to translate into action or progress. Namely, the idea of greater regional communication and cooperation among those in the Bay Area seeking to advance the libertarian cause.

There was some talk about us trying to organize a regional event, perhaps a mini-convention, but it was decided that a good first step would be to try to establish a forum for regional communication. I pointed out that a current libertarian list, ba-liberty@yahoogroups.com, exists and could potentially serve this purpose. So we agreed as a group (the dozen or so of us at the LPSF meeting) to try this out as a forum for Bay Area libertarian organizing, and try to get some conversation going here.

So if you are a Libertarian, libertarian, or simply someone who wants to see more freedom around the Bay, I encourage you to join ba-liberty@yahoogroups.com and try to contribute your thoughts and ideas toward making this work. Please forward this to other pro-freedom lists or individuals you think may be interested.

If you are already on the ba-liberty list, why are you here? Where do you live? What would you like to see accomplished via this list? Are you doing anything locally to advance the cause of liberty? What would you like to see change where you live? Have any constructive ideas about improved regional libertarian cooperation?

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))
Outreach Director, Libertarian Party of San Francisco
                             (415) 625-FREE

Hi Starchild and All,

Thank you very much for this post, Starchild. I signed up for BA-liberty by going to the http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba-liberty/
and clicking Join This Group, which seemed faster than clinking the e-mail address in your post. So, I am a member of BA-liberty, but my post of a couple of hours ago is not showing so far. I am wondering if this is a moderated group.

You asked for ideas as to how we could get regional communication going. I am still leaning towards the idea of an informal introductory dinner as proposed by Aubrey at the LPSF meeting yesterday. I am also leaning towards David's suggestion that perhaps such a dinner could be held at a venue in which libertarians already hold their meetings. The Hoff Brau in San Jose would be one idea, or the restaurants used by San Mateo or East Bay Libertarians. A lunch on a weekend might also be considered depending on how many would be willing to give up part of their weekend to attend.

You and Eric suggested a park picnic. As I indicated, as far as I know, that would require a reservation with "the government," to which you and Eric object. As far as yet another call for "civil disobedience" in having a picnic anyway without a reservation, well, I am personally too old for that! So, I will stay out of such planning.

If a weekend picnic is really, really desired, perhaps one could be arranged in private winery or other farm-style of venue.

And speaking of winery, if a "mini-convention" get together as envisioned by Aubrey does not materialize, another idea would be to simply start showing better participation in other groups' events when we are invited. One event that comes to my mind is the East Bay Wine & Liberty, to which LPSF has been invited in the past.

Marcy