Badnarik TV Ads Lose Votes

A persuasive article in Liberty magazine argues that in the last
election, Badnarik's TV ads in at least three of the four states where
he ran them lost significant numbers of votes for him.
http://libertyunbound.com/archive/2005_01/bradford-election.html

The moral: base your marketing on what has worked, not on what
intuitively seems to make sense.

Best, Michael

Michael,

I have not read the article but I'd like to believe that Libertarians do not "market" their message but merely honestly and bluntly state it and take their chances. "Marketing" implies compromise and misrepresentation. Libertarians don't compromise; that's where we differ, for the better, from the major parties.

Regards,

Hank Bakker

Dear Michael and Hendrik;

Perhaps it isn't the marketing but the message. I reviewed the TV ads on the Badnarik web site. And the messages as delivered may not have struck a chord in potential voters. The delivery of the messages probably missed potential voters as well.

Based on when the ads were shown and how often would have a marked impact on the results. When there is a competition between someone who has name recognition - Nader and someone who has none - Badnarik there will be losers.

Honestly and bluntly stating a Libertarian message and letting the chips fall where they may could work. It has a lot to do with how receptive potential voters are to a brief one-time 30 second ad which drives results in the polling booth. As the old saying goes for salespeople use the KISS system - Keep It Simple Salesman. And you have to ask for the order and ask for the order and ask for the order etc.ie. repeating a simple ad several times a day for several days.

In TV Land - It's all about prime time!

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

Hendrik Bakker <dobus@...> wrote:

Michael,

I have not read the article but I'd like to believe that Libertarians do not "market" their message but merely honestly and bluntly state it and take their chances. "Marketing" implies compromise and misrepresentation. Libertarians don't compromise; that's where we differ, for the better, from the major parties.

Regards,

Hank Bakker