Badnarik Meetup this Saturday

There are now 8 people registered for the Badnarik Meetup group (see http://badnarik2004.meetup.com/171/members/). Six of them are regular LP locals -- myself, Chris Maden, Richard Newell, Marcy Berry, Mark Addleman, Rob Power. However there are two people listed whom I don't recognize: "Thomas" and "Jeff111."

Unfortunately the Meetup is scheduled for 3pm Saturday, the same time as our monthly meeting. That's not something we can change, since it's set nationally. But since there are two new people who might come, I'm thinking maybe one of us should try to show up there? It's at Muddy Waters cafe, 521 Valencia Street (near 16th).

Perhaps someone with a car who could get over to the LPSF meeting fairly quickly after an hour or so if no one showed up or the person(s) who did come were amenable to joining the rest of us at Round Table?

Yours in liberty,
        <<< Starchild >>>

And speaking of Badnarik Meetups, there is also a Meetup tonight at 7pm at Rockin' Java (1821 Haight St. at Shrader) of the "20 Million Loud" group being organized under the aegis of MTV's "Rock the Vote" campaign.

This is a great opportunity to spread Libertarian ideas, promote our presidential candidate, and meet potential activists. (See Greg Hertzsch's post to the Badnarik list, below). There are 145 people registered in the SF group; of this huge number, eight have responded that they will attend (including myself), and two have said maybe. Once again however, there is another meeting scheduled at almost the same time -- the Sex Workers Outreach Project is meeting in Berkeley at 730pm, and I really would like to go to that, so I may not stay too long at the Haight Street thing.

But I've already contacted one of the group members, a writer for the SF State student newspaper who is looking for people to interview for an article on the election and what people can do to become involved (see http://20millionloud.meetup.com/34/boards/view/viewthread?thread=425602). I let her know about our endorsement event Thursday and meeting this Saturday; I'm hoping this will lead to some press for our endorsements.

Anyway, I encourage everyone who can to join the "20 Million Loud" Meetup group and come to Rockin' Java tonight if possible. If fewer than 10 people show up, we wouldn't need too many people coming to have a majority, in which case we could pass some beneficial resolutions on behalf of the group, such as demanding presidential debates open to any candidate on enough state ballots to theoretically be elected, and condemning any candidate who refuses to participate in such debates. 8)

Endorsing Badnarik or other LP candidates might be a bit too partisan and could even backfire on us at the group's next Meetup, but I think opposing the return of a military draft, supporting the right of non-citizens to vote, lowering the drinking age, demanding an end to prosecution of medical marijuana patients, etc., could be fitting stands for a populist, youth-oriented group in left-leaning SF to take that would also be in line with Libertarian goals. I might even take a stab at drafting some resolutions this afternoon. If anyone has any other proposed resolutions, write 'em up and post 'em. Who can make it this evening?

Yours in liberty,
        <<< Starchild >>>