Anybody know of any central repositories for pro-freedom graphics and/or short video clips?

It occurs to me that it would be very useful to have a site where I (and others) could go to find a large assortment of pro-freedom graphics and/or short video clips with pro-freedom messages, in a single location where they weren't mixed in with other non-freedom-related content. There are any number of sites, including personal blogs, where such things can be reposted, and obviously the more places they are reposted, the larger audience their pro-freedom messages will have.

I've recently been posting a good deal to the site SodaHead.com (see http://www.sodahead.com/user/profile/78522/starchild/), which features lots of polls on various topical questions to which people can not only answer, but engage other respondents in conversation and post comments and include graphics and video links if desired. There are lots of other sites, such as Facebook, Meetup, etc., and even the web pages of Yahoogroups, which are also conducive to sharing visual content.

I've seen quite a few pro-freedom graphics, photos, cartoons, etc., and try to download the better ones. But I'm sure there are plenty out there I haven't seen, and more than I'd want to download. And of course video just takes up too much hard drive space to download in large quantities. But without a good repository for this stuff, the cool clip you saw on YouTube, or the great graphic you saw on somebody's blog, may not be there a week from now, let alone a year from now.

I believe it would be very much in the interests of our movement to have a well-known central repository to which to post such items, and from which to obtain them for dissemination elsewhere. Anybody know of such a site, or have interest in creating one?

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

P.S. - Here's my favorite recent visual find, courtesy of Mike Denny:

(Attachment WikiLeaks:HilaryClinton:Cartoon.png is missing)

Per my previous message below, here for instance is a fascinating collection of video clips which were submitted for a contest to make a video based on Ayn Rand's famous novel "Atlas Shrugged"*:

http://wildfireapp.com/website/6/contests/42465/voteable_entries/list?ogn=website&order=recency

Not all the videos are well made (and no, I haven't watched them all yet), but some of them are fantastic, and it's very interesting to see the amazing variety of creative submissions, even among those which could clearly use more production. But when this contest is over, who knows what will happen to the videos? Even though one video will presumably win the contest, it may not be the most effective of the bunch in communicating libertarian ideas, since what is good by objectivist criteria may differ somewhat from what is good by libertarian criteria. Indeed since different styles of communicating the message will appeal to different people, there may not be a single "best" video in the bunch. Wouldn't it be nice if at least the better submissions in this collection were preserved together on a site with other pro-freedom videos, where they would be available to view and share indefinitely?

As Libertarians, we should also ask ourselves, what is our party doing to...

• inspire this kind of creativity?
• spread our message through art and other non-traditional methods?
• attract talented and creative filmmakers and other artists capable of communicating the libertarian message in different ways?
• infuse art and creativity into our conventions and into our party culture?

In fact I see no reason in theory why LP.org couldn't be a repository site for whatever pro-freedom graphics, photos, and video content people our members wanted to upload. Sadly, I rather doubt the current collective party leadership is inspired enough to do something like that, but I'll bet if we elect Ernie Hancock chair, he'd be for it.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

*Part One of "Atlas Shrugged", by the way, is scheduled for release as a major motion picture on April 15, 2011! -- See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480239/

Hi Starchild,

As always, you have come up with more great idea. Problem is, carrying out those ideas. It is not the LP leadership who is responsible for carrying out ideas, but each and every one of us. I would love to see each and every idea you and others come up with be evaluated and implemented. Right now, we are dealing with the Zoomerang polling as a method to spread ideas. I encourage those who received the survey to take it and provide input. We are also considering using the Joomla capabilities in our website to generate polling.

Marcy

Marcy,

I definitely agree with having a bottom-up party where more efforts are spearheaded by activists ourselves. (This is one of the Five Key Values of the Grassroots Libertarians Caucus I founded -- see http://www.groups.yahoo.com/groups/grassrootslibertarians .) Sometimes though, the centralized leadership holds the key, even when it's simply a matter of getting out of the way.

The way I look at it, LP.org belongs to the whole party. I would like to see every LP member, if not every registered Libertarian, provided with access to post to the site and use interactive features (such as uploading graphics and videos per my idea described below). But right now only the leadership controls and has access to the site.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Personally, I cannot visualize your idea becoming reality, or even my wishing it to become reality. I would prefer grassroots efforts to be just that, grassroots; which to me personally means local evaluation and implementation of ideas. This strategy can only come about when each member of a discussion list or each recipient of an e-mail acts upon an idea.

OK, so here is today's idea. Rob has posted a poll in lpsf.org. If you can accept the challenge asked by the poll, let Rob know.

No need to wait until the LP website opens its doors to all registered Libertarians.

Marcy