Agenda for Meeting This Saturday 02-11-12

Hi All! Here is the agenda for this Saturday's meeting at the library. As you know, we're shooting for a shorter business part of the meeting and a longer social afterwards. Phil wants a half-hour of business and the rest social, but I don't think that will happen at this first meeting. Maybe we can ease into this new format at this first meeting since we will still be at the library for sure for the February meeting. Maybe one hour of business and then adjourn to a restaurant after an hour? I left the more discussable subjects for the end which could be carried on in the social part. Phil asks that we try this new format for 2 months to give it a try. What have we got to lose?
Libertarian Party of San Francisco Agenda: Saturday, February 11, 2012
Meeting Location: San Francisco Main Library, 4th Floor

1. Activist Reports – Past & Future
  2. Announcements
  3. Upcoming Conventions
  4. Gail Lightfoot Petition
  5. Website Webmaster
  6. Monthly Meetings – Change of Location & Format
  7. Topic for Discussion – Can the Republican Party ever become Libertarian? Can the Democratic Party ever become Libertarian? Is the Libertarian part necessary?
Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Aubrey,

Thanks for posting this. Having more social time is great by me, but I think expanding it at the expense of our business meetings is a mistake. We only meet once a month for a couple hours; I don't think that's too much. That's my two cents on it.

Glad to see Gail Lightfoot's petition on the agenda -- I was thinking to mention that myself. I saw Marc Joffe at the vegetarian dinner that Michael E. and I often attend last week, and he said he was waiting to hear what he's supposed to do on the website. I encouraged him to come to our meeting, but he sounded ambivalent.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

P.S. - Did you get my message about the schedule for driving to the state convention?

Right on Aubrey, I'll plan on leaving the morning of Friday March 2 with you for the convention then. I didn't know you were going to Nevada -- I posted on the Campaign for Liberty Meetup list looking for a ride, but didn't hear from anyone, so I didn't end up going.

What was your experience in Nevada?

Love & Liberty,
                                   ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild! I did respond on the C4L-SF list of my plans to go, but I guess you didn't see it. At any rate, better communication is in order next time--I'll just call you.

The experience was totally worthwhile, though the results were disappointing. I worked at a caucus being held at a middle school in Reno and then went down to Carson City and worked at a caucus there. No problem handing out literature there--we went through tons of it. I really enjoyed talking with the people. As always, the younger ones seemed to be the ones for Ron Paul the most, but also a lot of support from people of all ages. Strangely, one man was mad at Ron Paul for not having a more compassionate position towards immigrants--a very unusual view for a Republican. Also strange was that a lot of people like (and agree with) his domestic stands but part company on his foreign policy. His foreign policy is perhaps his greatest strength, yet that's what turned so many Republicans off. Too much warmongering in that crowd to suit my taste!

As the caucus in Carson City was winding down, one of the Ron Paul supporters suggested that I watch the vote counting to make sure there was no hanky panky. I was very impressed with how they did it. Everything was double counted by someone else in full light of witnesses and also a video cam taped it all at each table. Tally sheets were signed and cosigned by different people at every step of the way and then witnessed by someone else. Very on the up-and-up. Whatever voter fraud goes on--I can definitely say there was no hanky panky in Carson City that day!

See you on Saturday!
Aubrey