What Is th Sound of One Hand Clapping?

Hi Letitia,

I'm pleased to read you're "open to be persuaded." Open-mindedness is a rare
and wonderful trait.

You are a libertarian if you oppose the initiation of violence. Do you?

Warm regards, Michael

Michael,

I would say that to the extent a person opposes the initiation of force (not necessarily physical violence, could be the mere threat of violence), or fraud, he or she has libertarian views, and to the extent a person acts in accord with those views, he or she is behaving in a libertarian manner.

Most people are fairly libertarian in their personal lives, but openly or tacitly support governments initiating force in their names on a large scale.

Love & Liberty,
                                   ((( starchild )))

When I discuss libertarianism with someone I don't know, like Letitia, I prefer to take one step at a time. You're giving the whole enchilada which I'm sure works for you, but not for me.

Let's see how Letitia answers my question:
Letitia, do you oppose the initiation of violence?

Warm regards, Michael

Michael,

The main point I was getting at is that in my opinion being libertarian (like being of any political persuasion) is a matter of degrees, not a you-either-are-or-you-aren't sort of thing.

Love & Liberty,
                                    ((( starchild )))

Letitia, do you oppose the initiation of violence? Yes.

I think in particular that the U.S, should abstain from anything bu defensive actions. Wars often are begun to protect the economic interests of a few; why should the many suffer to increase the profits and power of the few?

I answered this one in an earlier response: yes, I do. So, are all Quakers Libertarians? (I am not a Quaker, BTW.)