Torch parade writeup for IPR

I've written and published an article about our plans for a Bradley Manning virtual torch parade on Independent Political Report:

http://www.independentpoliticalreport.com/2013/05/libertarians-organizing-virtual-national-torch-parade-for-bradley-manning/

Please take a look at it ASAP and let me know if you see anything that needs correcting or additions that should be made. I would've run it by folks for input first, but since I am an editor at IPR and can make revisions, and since I'm mostly covering stuff that has already been written up elsewhere, I decided that it would be better just to get it published sooner and give the earliest possible heads-up to (L)ibertarian activists in other parts of the country who read IPR and may wish to get involved.

I went ahead and made the Outright contact page ( http://www.outrightusa.org/joomla25/contact-us ) the point of contact at the end of the story. Hope that's not a problem, if it is just say so and I can change it. Please let me know if there are other individuals or lists not copied on this message who should be included in future communications on this project.

Love & Liberty,
                               ((( starchild )))

John,

I certainly hear what you're saying; Bradley Manning's torch ceremony in D.C. should be peaceful, and seems most important at this particular time. I agree we should make clear it's a separate event if anyone asks, but I think it doesn't hurt to mention in libertarian circles especially that Adam's thing is happening concurrently, as I'm sure some of his marchers will probably help speak out for Manning there as well. The fact of both events happening might give some folks more impetus to show up. Also, the more opportunities for cross-pollination among people focused on different aspects of the struggle for freedom (e.g. civil liberties supporters, gun rights activists, GLBTQ folks) the better, it seems to me. Do you think I should word anything differently in the IPR piece? Anyone else?

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

Well, when we have more specific plans, I can always do a follow-up piece. If we don't at this point, perhaps better not to replace something with nothing.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Thanks a million to Starchild and John and Shipley for the initiative on this. I was personally pleased to see the link to Kokesh’s march, but don’t have a strong opinion at this point about political advisability. Even if his march ends badly, however (a plant in his contingent firing a shot, and people getting killed as a result), it might not hurt us to be linked to it. John’s point about our broad coalition is a good one.

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

Let me paraphrase that? "If people end up being killed, it would not hurt Libertarians to be associated with that event." Just let me know if that happens so I can rush to register No Party Preference!

Marcy

Not sure I understand, Marcy. Do you think it would have hurt us to be associated with the protesters who were killed by the National Guard at Kent State in 1970? Kokesh has pledged a peaceful protest; if, as I would expect, they are refused entrance to DC at gunpoint, they will turn back; and Kokesh will be doing what he can to screen out trouble-making plants.

image001.jpg

image003.jpg

Well said, Mike. I see both sides of the issue as you do.

If folks want to reprint my IPR article elsewhere, that's fine by me. Please send me any proposed edits, and I'll try to review them and get back to you ASAP (calling and giving me a heads-up if it's time-sensitive never hurts).

As of yet, no one has said I should change anything in how I wrote it up.

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))