Time for LPSF's Nanny of the Month Award

Hi All,

The LPSF website December Nanny of the Month article received relatively more hits than any of the other recent articles. Here is my entry for the January award.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013/01/proposed-new-food-truck-rules-san-francisco-seek-please-both-mobile-and-stationary-eat

The interesting part about this S.F. Examiner article is that the Board of Supervisors intervention was not initiated by the Board, but by the merchants. Perhaps the public should share the award with Scott Wiener.

If you have a better Nanny of the Month candidate, please submit your entry by end of day tomorrow. I plan to post our choice for the award by then on the website.

We also had a "Sensible Suggestion Award" for December, but I have not come across any sensible suggestions from our local fearless leaders lately (why am not not so surprised). So, if you have an entry, please let me know.

BTW, hope you all read Aubrey's article featured on the website now.

Thank you.

Marcy

Hi Marcy! Thanks for keeping this up--in San Francisco, we should have no problem finding nannies monthly, if not weekly. I read the article and posted my two cents worth.

By the way, while I was at the gym yesterday I read part of an article about plastic bottles in the Examiner, and there seemed to a be almost a lament that SF was not the first city in the country to ban them. Like the plastic bag ban and now the bag "tax," the plastic bottles ban is coming! Maybe we can stick our two cents worth in before it becomes THE LAW with the usual unintended consequences.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Dear Aubrey,

I suggest a different argument against the ban than the type we usually use.

Rather than praising plastic bottles, we can say something like the following:
"We're not scientists, we don't know if plastic bottles are worse than glass or metal ones. Either way, it's not the role of a Govt to micromanage every area of our lives."

"If you doh't like plastic bottles, don't buy them! If you don't like your neighbors using plastic bottles, educate them so they stop! If you don't like a manufacturer producing plastic bottles, organize a boycott! Refuse to use the guns of the State to force others who disagree to comply with your negative feelings about plastic bottles."

Warm regards, Michael

This suggested argument makes it seem that we as a group are too unmotivated or lazy to do a minimal amount of research for educating ourselves about plastic bottles. I'm sure the proponents of the ban on plastic bottles have done due diligence to inform themselves, so we insult ourselves if we say we aren't doing the same diligence.

Richard Winger

415-922-9779

PO Box 470296, San Francisco Ca 94147

Hey Richard,

Great point, thanks! It is important to highlight your addition to the argument.

We could begin with: "After diligent study of the scientific arguments pro and con, since we're not scientists we can't authoritatively conclude plastic bottles are worse than glass or metal ones. Either way, it's not the role of a Govt to micromanage every area of our lives." Etc.

Warm regards, Michael

This suggested argument makes it seem that we as a group are too unmotivated or lazy to do a minimal amount of research for educating ourselves about plastic bottles. I'm sure the proponents of the ban on plastic bottles have done due diligence to inform themselves, so we insult ourselves if we say we aren't doing the same diligence.

Richard Winger
415-922-9779
PO Box 470296, San Francisco Ca 94147

Hi Aubrey and All,

I like your Examiner article, Aubrey. Jeepers, is there no limit to the banning attempts? How about I post something about it next time, since I ran out of time after the Nanny of the Month article and the meeting announcement.

I also like Michael and Richard's suggestions, especially the education point, since I happen to believe that filling Mother Earth chock full of plastic is downright mean! So I feel that perhaps we should give an alternative to the banning, such as education, rather than just indicate we are against banning.

Marcy