The New Robin Hood Film Is Libertarian

Dear All;

Not having seen yet but reviewers of the latest Robin Hood film say it has a definite Libertarian message.

http://snipurl.com/wh1ls [www_realclearpolitics_com]

According to the article: This Robin is ... a manly libertarian rebel striking out against high
taxes and a big government scheme to trample the ancient liberties of
property owners and provincial nobles."

Ron Getty

Ron,

I saw a preview, and what you report below is essentially correct. Robin (Russell Crowe) is kind of an accidental rebel, but he is a noble character with innately libertarian instincts. It's a terrific film -- great acting, awesome visuals, generally believable story line. Traditional Robin Hood stories also depict King Richard "the lionhearted" in a very positive light, but this one has a much more balanced portrayal, with Robin giving a more politically correct take on the merits of the Crusade. I think the castles are larger and more impressive than in real life, and the philosophy of Robin's father is a bit *too* egalitarian for the times, but I can forgive them those minor quibbles. Bottom line is, highly recommended!

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Starchild

a totally different take then what Ayn Rand had her people saying about Robin Hood in Atlas Shrugged that's for sure - Ridley Scott had something to do with that - that's for sure....

Ron Getty

Veddy veddy interresting! We are still practicing this version of Robin's inclinations -- the poor have a right to poach in the rich man's forest, or sit/sprawl in front of my store?

Sorry, a Tea Party activist this Robin is not, no matter how much he would like to cash in on the movement.

Marcy

Marcy,

The deer in the forests were said to all belong to the King of England! How is that libertarian? Do you think he homesteaded all that land? As for sitting or whatever in front of someone's store, having or not having the legal right to do that depends whether the sidewalk in front of your store is privately owned, or public space paid for with taxpayer dollars. The other day I was in Oakland and saw a couple employees hanging out on what appeared to be the public sidewalk in front of a pizza place. All good -- but surely you don't think they should have been subject to arrest/citation if they didn't work there?

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

After a 12-hour work day, I am ready to hit somebody over the head with a feather duster -- and I am not even mentioning the extra work Beau and I had to do after you gave Beau the list of LP National delegates, some of which Republicans. So, nobody, but nobody I do not wish in front of my store. Period.

Marcy

Marcy,

Anyone at the LPC convention was welcome to submit names of people to potentially be national delegates, so I gave the names of anyone I could think of who I believed to be pro-liberty and thought might conceivably be interested. In the cases of non-Libertarians, it seemed like one way to entice them to join the party and attend. Not sure exactly what extra work was involved, but I would have been happy to call those folks had anyone asked me.

Regarding the sanctity of the space adjacent to your store -- Perhaps you could put up a sign -- "Warning: Anyone who spends too long in this vicinity may be hit over the head with a feather duster, because no matter how busy I am, I am never too busy to chase people away from my doorstep!" :wink:

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))