the hard sell

Has anyone noticed that the sales pitch with these fund raising mailings is getting a bit extreme? The latest letter was on yellow paper and in all uppercase text. Here's a quote:

"OUR CHAIRMAN, MICHAEL DIXON, RECENTLY SENT YOU AND OTHER LP SUPPORTERS OUR ANNUAL REPORT.

DID YOU PERHAPS NOT RECEIVE IT? ...

BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN A STALWART SUPPORTER OF OUR CAUSE, I WAS COUNTING ON HEARING FROM YOU BY NOW WITH YOU GIFT..."

Does anyone else get negative vibes from this sort of thing?

-- Steve

Steve,

I share your concern. While I don't think I've read the letter you describe below (may be in my unopened mail), I've never liked the direct mail hype that the state and national LP both typically engage in. And it wouldn't surprise me if they are getting more desperate in the wake of their ill-advised move to "zero dues."

My recommendation is for people to send notes back to National urging them to reinstate dues at the reasonable $25 a year level. I believe this level of dues could be perfectly cost-effective if they spent less money and staff time by sending fewer fundraising letters and renewal notices. Instead, money could be raised via expanded merchandise sales and more special events like (non-convention) cruises, for those able & willing to pay for them.

You can also call the national office at (202) 333-0008. If you haven't called them before, or haven't called them recently, it can't hurt to take a couple minutes to call and leave a message with your concerns about the direction of the national party. If they get enough calls from people upset about the dues change and the aggressive direct mail campaign, it may have an impact. You can also email LP News at <editor@...>.

Yours in liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>

We agree on concerns. What do you think of this interpretation of causes?

1) no national dues are good, but they need to also be done on the state level before members see the party as a charity instead of a subscription service

2) people are not inclined to give to charitable organizations who spend most of their money trying to raise more money - and the LP is such an organization

For example: How many people would donate to their local churches if they sent them weekly letters asking for more money year in and year out?

-- Steve

Steve,

I agree with your point #2 below. Regarding point #1, while I do think that membership should ultimately be based on signing the pledge, rather than paying a certain amount of money, I think it should be expected for members to give a certain amount, either in money or in volunteer hours or, if a person cannot easily do either, in a written pledge of future support. Of course this is contingent on having a national office that has its priorities relatively straight.

Yours in liberty,
        <<< starchild >>>