Tax Day flier [2 Attachments]

I've finished the Tax Day flier for tomorrow (see attached PDF documents for front and back sides of the fliers). Basically each sheet of paper, when cut vertically and horizontally, makes four fliers, each roughly 4.25" tall by 5.5" wide.

Does anyone on this list have any coupons for discounted photocopies? I used to have some, but I don't think I have any that are still current. Recommendations on where we can get the best prices on photocopies are also welcome. Or of course if anyone has access to making free copies! We've appropriated up to $50 to pay for copies, but if we can spend less, or get the LPSF more copies for our buck, that would be a good thing. I'll be making copies in black and white, since color is quite expensive -- the flier still looks pretty good that way, and I found I can also effectively add some color by coloring in the flashlight beam with a yellow highlighter pen.

By the way, I'm also emailing out a version of this flier that leaves the LPSF name and logo off the back, in case other LP chapters or libertarian groups want to use it and add their own logos/contact info. If you know anyone who would like to use them, please let me know and I can email them that version.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

P.S. - Sorry I did not have enough space on the back to include Phil's good idea of mentioning how the world-changing Arab Spring uprisings began as a tax revolt by one Tunisian fruit vendor (Mohamed Bouazizi), a victim of bullying by government officials demanding he pay a regulatory fee for the scale he bought with his hard-earned money to weigh his produce, who lit himself on fire in protest, without compromising the graphical quality of the flier by making it too text-heavy. I will try to keep the idea in mind for future materials however.

Thanks, Mike! I shouldn't need help; the only real work will be cutting the sheets, which I should be able to use a paper cutter to do at the copy shop. If I don't get any better leads, I will just use Copy Central near my place here on Market Street.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Love it! Hope you were able to make the copies. Aubrey and I were at the Sunday Streets event all day promoting Tax Day, so I am just getting to reading my e-mails.

See you tomorrow.

Marcy

Hi Starchild and All! I was just perusing the internet looking for another article to bring tomorrow and came upon this: http://sf.funcheap.com/tax-day-outreach/. I guess the press release and flyer we sent got the word out somehow. Let's hope for a good turnout tomorrow.

I like your flyer, Starchild--thanks! Sorry I did not coordinate with you--I ended up going to the Office Depot today after Sunday Streets and making copies there. Better coordinating next time! I did not send you the 1040 Obama Form to change the orientation because I couldn't find the email this morning and ran out of time, so just had to go with what I had.

See you tomorrow!
Aubrey

Wow! and they placed a link to the LPSF website! There are two Facebook Likes right now. I am adding mine.

Marcy

Thanks, Aubrey. That's cool we got a little press! I posted this comment on the SF.Funcheap site (cross-posted to Facebook):

Thanks, SF.Funcheap.com, for mentioning our event! Actually, hippies seeking to reduce fiscal servitude are totally welcome as far as we're concerned, patchouli-scented or otherwise! The LPSF meets on the 2nd Saturday each month from 3-5pm in the main SF library (Larkin & Grove streets), in the 4th floor community meeting room. If you're into freedom and would like to see more of it in the world, feel free to drop in and check us out sometime! You can also visit us at LPSF.org or join our Meetup group, http://www.meetup.com/the-LPSF.

The hippie reference was in response to what they wrote, which was as follows:

Pissed off ’cause it’s tax day? Join the Libertarian Party of San Francisco in calling attention to what they call “the economy-stifling problem of ever increasing taxes” on April 15, 2013, in Civic Center Plaza from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm.

They’ll have an station at the plaza with educational tax-related literature and you can participate in the march from the Plaza to the Federal Building (home of the IRS) starting around noon, to remind everybody that there are lots of fiscally conservative voters that politicians need to note (so leave the patchouli at home, hippie).

Which illustrates why I wish we had more explicitly made clear in the outreach material that people on the left were welcome at the event, as I suggested! Nevertheless, I think it was good publicity on the whole.

Did you hand out any of the Obama 1040 forms? I don't recall seeing that at the table, although it may have been there. I kind of forgot about it after the meeting.

The past couple days I've spent some time putting more of the voluntary taxation flier in newsracks (primarily on Market Street as I headed home Monday) and taping them on poles (this evening in the Mission).

Love & Liberty,
                                 ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Good you also posted on SFFuncheap. Although I understand your point, I personally feel the "left" is interested in our socially liberal stance, but unambiguously opposed to our fiscal conservatism. Tax Day deals with eliminating taxes, a subject anathema to the left; no point catering to them for Tax Day.

Interestingly, SFFuncheap did wed fiscal conservatism directly with social conservatism; which points to the Libertarian split personality -- socially liberal and fiscally conservative, a difficult split to bear.

Marcy

Marcy,

I think it largely depends how we frame the message. I've had left-leaning folks react positively to the idea that we should be able to choose where our tax money goes and withhold funding of things like wars, including the "War on Drugs". Remember Mitt Romney's mistake in writing off 47% of Americans as people who will automatically vote for Obama and are basically unreachable? We should not make that mistake.

It's not libertarians who have a "split personality" -- we are unambiguously for freedom across the board. It's the right and the left that are inconsistent, being in favor of individual liberty in some circumstances and government control in others. But I think we should try to reach people on both sides in the areas where they are not as pro-freedom. As the LPSF, I think we should especially reach out to those on the left for two major reasons:

(1) Because most people in this area are liberals, not conservatives
(2) To help balance the LP's and libertarian movement's outreach, which has tended to appeal more to conservatives, giving the public a false impression of libertarianism being a conservative philosophy

The fact that SFFuncheap wedded fiscal conservatism with social conservatism is in this case, I suspect, a direct result of our press release making libertarianism sound too conservative, and not being clear enough what it is about.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

I disagree.

The left is typically not interested in tax reduction, and the right is
typically not interested in social freedom.

However, if we don’t challenge that, then we are limited to working in
coalition with the left on social issues and with the right on fiscal
issues.

And that is very useful, worth doing, but is limited.

Instead, I think it’s important to have conversations with the left,
from a social issues perspective, about fiscal restraint; and to have
conversations with the right, from a fiscal responsibility perspective,
about social freedom.

For example, in this particular case: Your tax dollars are used to
prosecute the War on Drugs, to fund a massively overinflated military,
to fund corporate welfare for Monsanto and ExxonMobil. And even if we
need taxes to pay for roads and schools, the federal system of sending
all the money to Washington and then hoping it gets back to the
communities that need it (minus a little wear and tear) is much less
efficient than allocating the money directly and locally.

As many Libertarian communication pundits point out, the key is to find
the areas of agreement *and then enlarge them*. Both parts are
important to winning freedom for all of us.

~Chris

Hi Starchild,

I personally do not feel comfortable with the idea of cherry picking when it is OK to take my money and give it to somebody else. So trying to reach out to the left by saying OK to take my money to fund student loans, but not OK to do the same to fund drug raids does not settle well with me -- I am against both.

I am not going to gloss over the fact Libertarians are fiscally conservative. However, in an event such as Pride, where the issue at hand is not eliminating taxes but promoting social libertarianism, then we can get away with simply not mentioning our fiscal conservatism at all.

I do understand your concern. I do understand the knee jerk reaction assigned to words nowadays. So be assured that outside of Tax Day, when the message is the need to eliminate taxes (the mainstay of the left) I would not use the word "conservative".

Marcy

Hi Chris,

Good strategy on paper, but what else do we have? I always end up feeling we did not fool anyone in all the years we have adopted that stance. The left knows we are there to cut their services, and the right knows we are there to spoil their view of a prescribed family life. We can only hope that one side or another might be willing to risk some loss in an effort to increase their strength on their issue, and align themselves with us for that purpose. But they all know who we are.

Marcy

Well, it’s always worked for me, if I can actually get into the
conversation. I don’t magically turn lefties or righties into
libertarians, but I do get many of them thinking that we may have a
point. A dozen more conversations like that and they may convert.

And we *aren’t* here to cut services that folks on the left value; we
are here to make those services *more effective* (by moving them out of
the government’s hands). We aren’t here to spoil the view of folks on
the right about family life; we are here to protect their view from a
left-wing government enforcing its view on them (by taking the entire
conversation out of the government sphere).

When talking about liberty with *anyone*, figure out what’s important to
them. Find a way liberty makes that better. Unless they are a very
strange authority fetishist, there is guaranteed to be *something* they
want that can be better with liberty. Focus on that.

~Chris