Tax Day Event 2013

Marcy,

Not sure I understand -- you say you have "applied for a permit", but then go on to say that you stated on the application that for the march we are planning, "we do not need permits." Were you trying to say, in so many words, "Just because we are applying for a permit does not mean we concede you have the right to ask for one"? If so, I approve. I have no objections to our securing a "permit" if it does not cost anything, especially if we make it clear we do not feel such government documents are necessary or required to exercise our free speech. However I strongly object to spending any LPSF funds for this permit. If people want to spend their own money complying with government attempts to fund their unjust agenda at the expense of people exercising their rights, I still think it's a bad idea, but -- of course it is your money. Thank you for your organizing efforts and contacting the Bay Area Tea Party and other groups.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

Sorry I was not clear. The presence in Civic Center does require a permit; the "march" (on the sidewalk, without obstructing traffic of any kind) does not.

No, I am not at all trying to make any kind of statement about payment to "the government." As I indicated in a previous e-mail, LPSF has been doing business with the government for years -- by paying for a $250 permit for the Pride booth, a tax-payer supported festival; by paying hundreds of dollars to exercise our "free speech" by posting our ballot arguments on voter pamphlets; and by having our monthly meetings in a government building. I am only responding to Aubrey's request to help him with this event.

As far as whether or not any funds come from the LPSF treasury, that will be decided not by me or by you alone, but by LPSF members at the next meeting. As you well know, I have always been a tightwad with LPSF money; but,like you,I understand that "investments" need to be made on occasion.

For information: Aubrey called the Police Department, the Rec & Park Department, etc. several times, and got nothing but the usual run around. I contacted the Rec & Park Dept, and was told that the Rec & Park could not give us information on any costs until we filed an application. So I did.

Again, as I have noted before in previous e-mails on the subject of a Tax Day event, it would be great if LPSF were able to bring abut a successful, collaborative, educational, fun Tax Day event.

Marcy

Are there any individuals or groups you would like me to contact for the Tax Day Event?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Very much appreciate your offer of help. Any group you can think of!!

Aubrey indicated he would contact Mimmi Steel of the Property Rights group (we are talking about property taxes for social engineering too!), End the Fed, and more follow up with the Ron Paul group. I have e-mailed the Silicon Valley Taxpayers Association (if they are not having an event on their turf, come to ours), and will e-mail the Tax Resistance league tonight (they worked so well with us when Marc Joffe had his End the War Rally).

So, now, I think we are depending on ideas from LPSF members.

Marcy

I'll forward to Richard Rider of the San Diego Tax Fighters....he's plugged into everyone statewide.

Mike

Yes, he is, isn't he. Great idea, Mike.

Marcy

Marcy,

Making a political statement is not what I'm mainly thinking about here, although it is part of the picture. My primary concerns with paying for a permit in order to have a protest are:

• This would be paying government to do something we should clearly have the right to do without any payment, thereby encouraging their abhorrent and unconstitutional practice of making the exercise of our rights conditional

• This would be a direct transfer of money from us to the government in order to accomplish something that I think we can accomplish virtually just as effectively *without* paying them

Paying for a booth at Pride is different, although honestly I'm not a huge fan of that expenditure either. In that case, the organizers of the Pride festival are the ones paying a fee to the government, and they will be paying this fee regardless of whether we have a booth there or not (although it is true that if large numbers of people stopped paying for booths, the government would probably reduce its fee in order to allow the politically popular event to continue to happen and raise money for its beneficiaries).

Meeting in the library does not involve us paying the government a dime. Paying to have arguments in the Voter Handbook does, and it is a direct payment, but in that case I think the "bang for the buck" is such a good deal that the cause of freedom is clearly helped rather than hurt by the payment. I don't know of any other way we could effectively reach all the registered voters in San Francisco for a similar cost, not to mention the value of having our arguments published in print and online as part of the official historical record of the election. Besides which, I think running elections is one of the more legitimate functions of government, and charging people to publish arguments in the Voter Handbook seems like a fair and legitimate way of covering the cost of mailing these materials to voters as well as a positive mechanism for allowing various uncensored opinions to be officially represented.

If we don't have to pay the government to be on the sidewalk, and you and others are unwilling to engage in civil disobedience at the event, then I suggest we just do our event on the sidewalk rather than paying to be in the plaza. I don't think this will detract significantly from our visibility to the public.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

P.S. -- Too bad about the War Tax Resistors League, it would have been especially nice to have their participation to make it more of a transpartisan event. Let's try to think of other left-leaning groups that might be interested. Some other groups on the fiscal conservative side I can contact include the Log Cabin Republicans and the Small Property Owners of San Francisco, as well as individual SF political figures, but I'll wait till after we've had a chance to meet this Saturday and firm up the event.