Student Groups

At yesterday's meeting, I took the task of getting in touch with national libertarian student groups to see if there are any opportunities for us to assist with chapter formations on campuses in San Francisco.

Rob expressed the very reasonable concern that we may not want to work with Young Americans for Liberty if it is linked to the Republican Party.

I checked the YAL site and learned the following:
   (1) They have connections to a couple of students at San Francisco State University, with which I'm affiliated as a part time graduate student.
   (2) They used to be "Students for Ron Paul".
   (3) Howeverm their mission statement says nothing about the Republican Party and actually sounds pretty libertarian. I have copied it below.

Do folks think that we should try to work with this group?

Regards,
Marc

YAL Mission Statement
The mission of Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) is to train, educate, and mobilize youth activists committed to "winning on principle." Our goal is to cast the leaders of tomorrow and reclaim the policies, candidates, and direction of our government.

YAL Statement of Principles
We are the Young Americans for Liberty (YAL). As Americans we recognize the God-given natural rights of life, liberty, and property set forth by our Founding Fathers. Our country was created to protect the freedoms of the individual and directed by we the people.

We recognize that freedom deserves responsibility and therefore we hold ourselves to a high moral character and conduct. Integrity emphasizes our stance towards action. Principle defines our outlook towards government. Peace and prosperity drives our ambitions towards our countrymen.

We inherit a corrupt, coercive world that has lost respect for voluntary action. Our government has failed and dragged our country into moral decay. The political class dominates the agenda with a violent, callous, controlling grip. And, for this we do not stand.

We welcome limited government conservatives, classical liberals, and libertarians who trust in the creed we set forth.

WE, as Young Americans for Liberty believe:

THAT government is the negation of liberty;
THAT voluntary action is the only ethical behavior;
THAT respect for the individual's property is fundamental to a peaceful society;
THAT violent action is only warranted in defense of one's property;
THAT the individual owns his/her body and is therefore responsible for his/her actions;
THAT society is a responsibility of the people, not the government.

Hi Marc,

Thank you. I did a quick Google search. In one article YAL talks about a journalist "mistakenly calling us an arm of the Republican Party." So, that settles it for me that they are not officially Republican; although I would expect their members to be mostly "Ron Paul Republicans." I see no harm in including them in our efforts.

Marcy

Depends on the specific group, IMO, but yes. The YAL at UNH has been
very friendly to LPNH, including inviting our gubernatorial candidate to
speak at a Jordan Page concert and doing some volunteer work.

~Chris