"Smart Cities"

Marcy,

Sorry to hear that SPUR is helping push the UN's Agenda 21. They aren't always bad on the issues. Restoring Hetch Hetchy is something I actually do support in theory, just not right now given the horrible fiscal situation.

"Sustainable development" is a term rather like "social justice" -- no one in their right minds is really against these things, but the terms get used to promote a lot of really bad ideas. I like to use them to promote good ideas, because I think people need to hear how libertarian solutions will lead to the positive outcomes like sustainable development and social justice that they want.

Love & Liberty,
                                ((( starchild )))

Hi Starchild,

You bring up a crucial point. Yes, it would have been great if we libertarians, as a group, would have made the effort to frame the discussion of "sustainable development" in free-market, non-coercive terms. However, libertarians did not. Therefore, "sustainable development", thanks to the intense efforts of progressive environmentalists, working as strong groups, now means what progressive environmentalists want it to mean.

To reiterate the back story on this subject, at the last Beer Bust, Jim had a guest speaker who discussed Agenda 21. Some of the attendees were working against the implementation of Agenda 21 plans in their neighborhoods (no guest happened to be working for Agenda 21), and succeeding.

At this point, I do not know very much about these plans other than what I heard at the Beer Bust and what I briefly read on the Internet. None of which I liked.

BTW, I also would love to restore the Hetch Hetchy Valley to its original pristine beauty. But not at the costs that are not being discussed.

Marcy