SF Examiner Publishes My Cut The Budget LTE With Affiliation

Dear All;

On Friday the news was about the $20 billion
"shortfall" in "revenue" for the state if Props
1A - 1E didn't pass. I wrote a bried LTE
on how to save the state budget and the
SF Examiner agreed and published. Although
it was edited down from the original less
than 150 it still gets the points across.

BTW: The first LTE on the Letters page is a good
refutation of rent control and why it should go.

Remember vote no on 1A - 1E and yes
on 1F. And as always vote early and often
tomorrow.

Ron Getty - SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/letters/

"State employee pay is what drains the budget"

The sky is not falling. California has 345,000
state employees averaging $85,000 in pay
and benefits. Private industry per-capita
pay and benefits average $45,000. If
state employees’ pay averaged that of
private industry’s, the $40,000 reduction
cuts the budget by $14 billion.

When private industry unemployment exceeds
3 percent, 1 percent of state employees should
be furloughed for each additional percentage
point. Fewer private industry workers means
lower income-tax revenue, which means less
money to keep paying government workers.

Each state department, division, bureau,
board and commission should be reviewed
to determine whether its function should be
discontinued, merged, should charge user
fees to cover its budget or be competitively
bid out at billions in cost savings.

Give taxpayers a break by putting a brake
on Sacramento’s “Robbing Hood” lawmakers.

– Ron Getty, vice chair of Libertarian Party, San Francisco

Ron Getty,

Your LTE is excellent!

Sincerely,

Don Fields

I agree, good work Ron! The only thing I wonder about is the first sentence. The way things appear to be headed economically, I'm not sure it's an exaggeration to say the sky *is* falling!

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear Starchild and All Others;

The sky is not falling is a phrase which is the antithesis of what politicians are saying as a form of fear mongering as is the usual case with politicans. They must promote a "fear of something" so the government can stand talll and strong against teh "fear" and take charge of the "fear" and save people from the "fear". Usually by pulling more money out peoples pockets in taxes - expanding the size of the government - curtailing liberties in the name of security and other diverse means used to show the government is doing something to save the people from the "fear".

FDR for all his total failure as a president to save us from the Depression did say quite succinctly after Pearl Harbor - we have nothing to fear but fear itself.

The fact is the depression we are in is a result of unmitigated spendthrift taxation and printing of phony money and the sky is not falling simply because to stop the sky from falling dod what I said in the LTE and sky will stop falling immediately.

Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

Ron,

Well yes, there is the fact that they always run on fear the way a car runs on gasoline. And *if* official pay were halved in California it could at least stop the state's immediate fiscal hemorrhaging. But I guess I'm a near-term pessimist now, at least about the U.S. economy. The sky has been propped up for a long time, and I don't see them doing enough at this point to stop it from coming down.

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear Starchild;

What has to be done is the totally politcally impossibility and that is to let the all the markets alone and quit the bailouts and shut down all the state and federal government tax leeching moochers and their tax leeching entitlement redistribution programs and unplug and shut the Fed down and repeal all federal and state wage and employment laws repeal all the federal and state administrative bureacratic laws and spray paint in large capital letters across the congressional dome in wash dc and all the state government and local and county government buildings stop the taxes stop the spending.

Hostis res Publica
Morte ai Tiranni
Dum Spiro, Pugno

Ron Getty,

Your message puts me in a state of euphoria!

All the best,

Don Fields