SF Examiner Publishes My Anti-Prop A LTE With Libertarian Affiliation

Dear Everyone;

After the SF Examiner came out against Prop. A the $10 million taxpayer funded anti-homicide panel I wrote an LTE about some of the underlying causes which the panel could not correct and the Examiner printed with Libertarian affiliation.

They did cut this part: The command staff of the SFPD can’t assign officers from non-essential and victimless crimes to clearing homicides because of police union seniority regulations. Maybe next time I can get something in about our Police Redeployment Petition.

Ron Getty
SF Libertarian

http://www.examiner.com/a-118544~Letters__May_25th__2006.html

City homicide rate
Proposition A, the blue-ribbon anti-homicide panel and $10 million annual fund, will not prevent homicides (“Prop. A — the wrong solution,” Opinion, May 24).

Economically destitute neighborhoods, drug turf gang warfare and a backlog of unsolved homicides will not be corrected. These situations were created by the diaspora from the black neighborhoods caused by Redevelopment Agency policies in the Western Addition, the Fillmore and now Bayview-Hunters Point.

Forced busing and dragging children from neighborhood schools further disrupted neighborhood families. Blocking big-box retailers lessened the availability of entry-level and unskilled jobs. Unsolved homicides are exacerbated by a dysfunctional relationship between the district attorney and the SFPD.

Prop. A is of the politicians, by the politicians and for the politicians, and the people of the local neighborhood communities be damned.

Ron Getty
Chair, Initiatives Committee
Libertarian Party of San Francisco
The City