SF Examiner Article on New Gross Receipts Tax

Hi Marcy! Thanks for the posting on this one. Better late than never, I just read the article and your comment and posted my two cents worth. While I was at it, I popped over to the Department of Elections website to see what's cooking in the "We Need a Law" Department. There's a dillie brewing for next November already (apparently there will be no election this coming June, which surprises me): San Francisco government is needed to get into the pharmaceutical business because the price of prescription drugs is too high, especially AIDS drugs, and the CEO of one of the companies made $53M last year. Apparently jumping into the real estate business wasn't enough with props C and E!

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Aubrey,

Great you posted also. The "Comments" after the news articles are a quick and easy way to get our point of view in print.

Good grief! Is there anything S.F.'s Fearless Leaders don't want to pass a law about? I will peruse the site you mentioned.

Also, saw your e-mail about the January LPSF Minutes. Thank goodness for your eagle eye; I will make the small corrections and post on the LPSF website by end of day today.

Marcy

Hi Marcy! No reason to poke around looking for the ballot measure: Click on Campaigns, then Local Ballot Measure Status, which will bring you to all the familiar ballot measures we just experienced and two new ones for November 2013. By the way, I just noticed that the prescription ballot measure is not from the Board of Supervisors

but rather an AIDS activist. Assuming that we oppose this ballot measure, we'll have to be careful not to appear to be against the AIDS people, since our image already suffers enough as is it.

Aubrey

Hi Aubrey and All,

Now I caught up with my promises -- the LPSF minutes are up on the website with the small corrections, and I looked at the proposed pharmaceutical proposal with an eye for using the subject for a website article or something. I agree that the pharma proposal will be difficult for us to navigate. So, I picked another current topic to refresh the LPSF website; one which is in keeping with LPSF's effort to develop public awareness on the shortcomings of our public education system. New poll to go with the article.

Today's S.F. Examiner has an article on CCSF's progress report issued January 18, which includes their plan for closing the college if mandated by the Accreditation Commission. I posted my comment; maybe others would like to do so also.

Marcy

Hi Marcy! Thanks for the thoughtful article about CCSF. You're not going to let them get away with any shenanigans! Thanks for the poll too. Folks, please go to the website and vote--a guest at our last meeting commented that the number of people voting on our current poll was very low. Doesn't make us look too relevant. Please vote--it only takes a moment.

Thanks!
Aubrey

Hi Aubrey,

No, I am not letting go of the CCSF situation! Not only because of the huge disservice to students CCSF's mismanagement has done, but also because the situation represents a microcosm of misguided "progressive" ides -- ideas that grow and bloom while fiscal conservative sleep, and the general public has no clue. The passage of Prop A, and other propositions that throw money at problems, reminds me of parents who have made a mess out of raising their kids, and best they can do is provide them with "stay-away money."

Thanks for encouraging folks on this list to vote on the poll. Your encouragement reminded me of our "discussion" (in quotes, since it was more like a free-for-all) at the last LPSF meeting on planning, participation, and implementation of ideas. We Libertarians just cannot seem to bring about concerted group effort, which in my view is essential for eventual success.

Marcy