SF ballot argument deadlines are AUGUST 14 (free) and AUGUST 18 (paid)

It's that time of year again when residents can submit arguments to be printed in the San Francisco voter handbook for and against local ballot measures. There are two types of arguments, free and paid, each with a separate deadline. The free arguments are limited to one for and one against for each measure, and consequently are fairly hard to get. Unless you're a sponsor of a measure, you're basically limited to arguments against.

I mentioned at the Libertarian Party meeting on Saturday that the free argument deadline was July 15 (today). I don't recall now where I originally heard or saw that date, but in any case I was (fortunately) wrong. The deadline to submit free proponent and opponent arguments is Thursday, August 14, at noon.

The proponents of each measure have first right of refusal to submit an official proponent argument; official opponent arguments are chosen by lottery from all the arguments AGAINST the measure which are submitted by the deadline. HOWEVER, the Mayor and members of the Board of Supervisors can automatically preempt other opponents if any of them choose to submit arguments against any of the measures! One more really f----d up thing about how local government works.

The deadline for submitting PAID arguments FOR or AGAINST measures -- there is no limit on how many of these arguments can be printed -- is Monday, August 18, at noon. (That is also the deadline for official proponents and opponents to submit rebuttals to each other's arguments.) It's not cheap to submit paid arguments -- the fee is per word, and even a relatively short one can cost in the hundreds of dollars. But considering how many people who read them -- typically, people who are actually planning to VOTE, and may be trying to make up their minds about an issue -- it's arguably a pretty good investment.

Sometimes *who* signs the arguments can carry nearly as much or more weight with voters, than what they say (sad but true political fact). So it will be to our advantage to get various influential people and civic groups to co-sign the official and paid arguments in favor of the prostitution decriminalization measure, if possible.

You can get a free guide to writing ballot arguments (like nearly everything governmental, there are nit-picky bureaucratic rules involved!) at the Elections Department office in the basement of City Hall (room 400). They're open 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday, and their phone number is (415) 554-4375. For a government agency, they are actually remarkably friendly and helpful!

Love & Liberty,
        ((( starchild )))

Dear All;

There may be a big glitch in knowing what charter amendments make it
on the ballot as approved by the board of supervisors. The
supervisors meeting for tuesday - today - which was supposed to
determine a number of ballot issues to be or not be placed on the
ballot has to be postponed. The SF Examiner in a printing error did
not publish the notice as required by the Sunshine laws as to the
board of supervisors meeting. So it has to be postponed until
Wednesday.

Will have to wait a little bit longer to find out which ballot issues
make the ballot.

These are the current initiatives - charter amendments will be
decided at Wednesdays meeting. AND AND AND the supervisors and the
Mayor have until July 30 to pull an initiative or charter amendment
placed on the ballot by themselves. So we will not know until July 31
which initiatives or charter amendments will actually be on the
ballot.

http://www.sfgov.org/site/uploadedfiles/elections/candidates/Nov2008_L
ocalPotentialBallotMeasures20080620.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/6l9yjq

Ron Getty-SF Libertarian
Hostis res Publica

It's that time of year again when residents can submit

arguments to

be printed in the San Francisco voter handbook for and against

local

ballot measures. There are two types of arguments, free and paid,
each with a separate deadline. The free arguments are limited to

one

for and one against for each measure, and consequently are fairly
hard to get. Unless you're a sponsor of a measure, you're

basically

limited to arguments against.

I mentioned at the Libertarian Party meeting on Saturday that

the

free argument deadline was July 15 (today). I don't recall now

where

I originally heard or saw that date, but in any case I was
(fortunately) wrong. The deadline to submit free proponent and
opponent arguments is Thursday, August 14, at noon.

The proponents of each measure have first right of refusal to

submit

an official proponent argument; official opponent arguments are
chosen by lottery from all the arguments AGAINST the measure which
are submitted by the deadline. HOWEVER, the Mayor and members of

the

Board of Supervisors can automatically preempt other opponents if

any

of them choose to submit arguments against any of the measures!

One

more really f----d up thing about how local government works.

The deadline for submitting PAID arguments FOR or AGAINST

measures