Save drakes bay

http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/330741/701523a893/ARCHIVE#like

Charlie,
I propose we piggy-back a Marin/Sonoma/SF meetup here, Monday, April 1st.

John

I thought this matter was already settled….their lease was up and it was decided it wouldn’t be renewed. Pretty straight forward. Is that not true?

Mike

Hi John,

Thank you for the invitation. Unfortunately, I work evenings, Mon-Thurs until 9 PM.

BTW, I was there a few weeks ago commiserating with the workers.

Warm regards, Michael

I believe they're appealing the decision, or at least considering an appeal.

Warm regards, Michael

And that's a school night for me.

Mike

Yes.
"...it was decided..." Since when did "it was decided" suggest that it
was a good idea? When was was the last time "it was decided" was food
for liberty, business, prosperity, reason or sensibility?

Or is "it was decided" some sort of lethal injection from which there is no turning back?

If we cannot protect our businesses we cannot protect our liberty. If we cannot form alliances we are wasting our time except as entertainment.
We cannot afford politically or economically, to fail a stand on private enterprise, especially, when influential elements are involved. Otherwise what good are we,really?? Lip service libertarians? Who can we say we are making money for? Who can we say we have done any good?

The Colonists were not passive about the Crown's administration of the harbors.

Are we?

Well in defense of “it was decided”…they had a contract with an expiration date that the parties agreed to. Granted one party was the government, whatever that is. And I don’t mind folks trying to change their minds about the agreement. But when you have an agreement like that, it makes it hard if they are committed to see you go. I know as I had a contract with the SF Port Authority. And when the agreement expired and they wanted my space for the America’s Cup, I was history no matter that my business was there for 25 years.

Mike

So is that the "lethal injection" narrative?

By the same terms, last years deal to pay taxes expires April 15th. The government has no problem renewing that.

Leases expire. That's not the issue. It's the refusal of the government to act in our best interest or the interest of private enterprise. Instead it is acting to benefit special collectivist interests.

The decision is the transfer of the area from a market-supported industry to a tax-supported industry. It should be unnecessary to explain this to a libertarian audience. Both the taxes and the cost of oysters will increase.

This is a libertarian no-brainier and a shared line in the sand with other interests in the region.
John

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: [lpsf-discuss] Save drakes bay

Well in defense of “it was decided”…they had a contract with an expiration date that the parties agreed to. Granted one party was the government, whatever that is. And I don’t mind folks trying to change their minds about the agreement. But when you have an agreement like that, it makes it hard if they are committed to see you go. I know as I had a contract with the SF Port Authority. And when the agreement expired and they wanted my space for the America’s Cup, I was history no matter that my business was there for 25 years.

Mike

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:25 PM
To: Dr. Michael Edelstein; mike@…
Cc: Charlie Deist; lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com; john@…; Nina Ortega; rich@…
Subject: Re: [lpsf-discuss] Save drakes bay

Yes.
"...it was decided..." Since when did "it was decided" suggest that it was a good idea? When was was the last time "it was decided" was food for liberty, business, prosperity, reason or sensibility?

Or is "it was decided" some sort of lethal injection from which there is no turning back?

If we cannot protect our businesses we cannot protect our liberty. If we cannot form alliances we are wasting our time except as entertainment.
We cannot afford politically or economically, to fail a stand on private enterprise, especially, when influential elements are involved. Otherwise what good are we,really?? Lip service libertarians? Who can we say we are making money for? Who can we say

we have done any good?

I agree but there is still the sticky matter of the lease agreement they both signed.

Anyways…feel free to fight the fight if you think this is one that advances our cause. I like oysters and business. There are other voters to be sure who disagree. I was just at a party in Novato full of them.

That is the tragedy of the commons. Where there are no real property rights, someone is always the loser.

Mike

Liberty is not an enterprise of the majority.

It is only sticky in that we allowed our best interests to be poorly represented to begin with.

This is an unusually propitious situation. It's not every day there is an opportunity to align with Senator Feinstein.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:09 PM

I agree but there is still the sticky matter of the lease agreement they both signed.

Anyways…feel free to fight the fight if you think this is one that advances our cause. I like oysters and business. There are other voters to be sure who disagree. I was just at a party in Novato full of them.

That is the tragedy of the commons. Where there are no real property rights, someone is always the loser.

Mike

From:lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Bechtol
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:02 PM
To: mike@...; Dr. Michael Edelstein
Cc: Charlie Deist; lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com; john@...; Nina Ortega; rich@...

So is that the "lethal injection" narrative?

By the same terms, last years deal to pay taxes expires April 15th. The government has no problem renewing that.

Leases expire. That's not the issue. It's the refusal of the government to act in our best interest or the interest of private enterprise. Instead it is acting to benefit special collectivist interests.

The decision is the transfer of the area from a market-supported industry to a tax-supported industry. It should be unnecessary to explain this to a libertarian audience. Both the taxes and the cost of oysters will increase.

This is a libertarian no-brainier and a shared line in the sand with other interests in the region.
John

To: John Bechtol <javlin@...>; Dr. Michael Edelstein <drmedelstein.threeminutetherapy@...>
Cc: Charlie Deist <charlie@...>; "lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com" <lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com>; "john@..." <john@...>; Nina Ortega <nina.ortega@...>; "rich@..." <rich@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:33 PM

Mike

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:25 PM
To: Dr. Michael Edelstein; mike@…
Cc: Charlie Deist; lpsf-discuss@yahoogroups.com; john@…; Nina Ortega; rich@…

Yes.
"...it was decided..." Since when did "it was decided" suggest that it was a good idea? When was was the last time "it was decided" was food for liberty, business, prosperity, reason or sensibility?

We cannot afford politically or economically, to fail a stand on private enterprise, especially, when influential elements are involved. Otherwise what good are we,really?? Lip service libertarians? Who can we say we are making money for? Who can we say

we have done any good?

Did Feinstein actually come out in support? I know she was looking at the situation but never saw that she actually committed.

If she did come out in favor it would be interesting to note what percent of the deal was in it for her husband Richard Blum. He seems to get a piece of everything she does.

Mike

From Dianne Feinstein:"Accurate, objective science should guide environmental policy, and when science has acknowledged problems, it should never be used to make
decisions. There is no guarantee that any given study is perfect, but we should all agree that decisions based on science we know to be flawed
is a stark violation of the public trust."

Nice but not support. Again, have they made a deal with her husband Richard Blum? Then we might be getting somewhere. Although this is considerably less revenue than the biggest in the US Caldwell Banker sweet heart real estate she lobbied for that considerably benefited her husband.

That doesn’t mean this issue shouldn’t be fought. Just that Feinstein is a marginal ally at best regarding any Liberty issue.

Mike